Did you know Ali beat Smokin’ Joe Frazier during Ramadan?

GuanoApes

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Their third fight was during Ramadan, I believe. Wikipedia says Ali won by RTD. I’m not sure if that means retired or what.. (I don’t watch much boxing, tbh.)

But Ali did score a win in their 3rd fight during the time of Ramadan in 1975.

I never saw the fight, so I don’t know if this fact was broadcasted or anything. But does anyone know if Ali fasted and gave up food/water on fight day and training for this fight?

My guess is Ali disobeyed Islam and ate/drank during the day. Fasting would be a VERY bad thing to do to your body weeks before a WBA/WBC championship match, and a very bad thing to do during fight day!

Anyone know why Ali would take a fight during Ramadan? Google said he announced his conversion to Islam in 1964.

Attachments

• 36F006B0-2F3E-4F10-8717-92FDDC4C2603.png
    36F006B0-2F3E-4F10-8717-92FDDC4C2603.png
    500.7 KB · Views: 1
Frazier’s trainer Eddie Futch knew that Joe couldn’t win anymore and took the decision to quit after round 14. Ali was also about to quit.

As for fasting I haven’t read anything regarding this fight in particular. But the fight was around noon in Manilla (to be broadcasted in prime time on US TV) and the air was damp and very hot. I doubt you could prepare correctly while fasting.

Well, I think there was another reason why fight happened in this date and place.
Don probably did hard work to get Ali pro license again after this suspension.
Then he saw Ali as his cash cow and Don heavily protected Ali.
1. he knew that Ali might bear hot climate better than Foramen and Frazier.
Therefore he managed Foreman vs Ali fight to happen in Zaire.
More than this, Ali never had gave Foreman rematch for reason.
He also dragged Frazier to fight vs Ali in Manila, despite he might had earned more in US or even in U.K cos huge live gates sales: damn, VIP tables, lodges, tickets in expensive sectors in US or U.K aren't comparable with Zaire hole or Manila.
Income difference from live gates probably had them to loss not only one million or two millions.

Money from broadcasting companies Don and co had get anyway, had fights been done in US or U.K or the same Manila or Zaire.

Don also managed that Ali didn't gave rematches if he had won and get rematches when he had lost!

When Ali was out of shape and ill, they most likely decided to get new boxing star and cash big money cos Ali was big name: ............Ali was allowed to fight vs Holmes, despite he looked even not fit to drive a car.

Later Don replaced Holmes with Mike.

Big Don's mistake was when he assumed that Nigel Benn is enough old for Gerald to beat up easily.

Well, I think there was another reason why fight happened in this date and place.
Don probably did hard work to get Ali pro license again after this suspension.
Then he saw Ali as his cash cow and Don heavily protected Ali.
1. he knew that Ali might bear hot climate better than Foramen and Frazier.
Therefore he managed Foreman vs Ali fight to happen in Zaire.
More than this, Ali never had gave Foreman rematch for reason.
He also dragged Frazier to fight vs Ali in Manila, despite he might had earned more in US or even in U.K cos huge live gates sales: damn, VIP tables, lodges, tickets in expensive sectors in US or U.K aren't comparable with Zaire hole or Manila.
Income difference from live gates probably had them to loss not only one million or two millions.

Money from broadcasting companies Don and co had get anyway, had fights been done in US or U.K or the same Manila or Zaire.

Don also managed that Ali didn't gave rematches if he had won and get rematches when he had lost!

When Ali was out of shape and ill, they most likely decided to get new boxing star and cash big money cos Ali was big name: ............Ali was allowed to fight vs Holmes, despite he looked even not fit to drive a car.

Later Don replaced Holmes with Mike.

Big Don's mistake was when he assumed that Nigel Benn is enough old for Gerald to beat up easily.

I don’t think Benn would’ve done very well against a healthy McClellan.

Doesn't matters, boxers are replaceable relatively easily, while managers and promoters continue to earn money with them on fights cards.
Boxer A or boxer B doesn't matters, cos $ is God and boxers are replaceable.

Yeah, ppl in this business does knows how to work with mainstream fans.
They does knows about biases, tribalism, obsession with 0 , trash talks etc tools to sell fights.
Boxer is replaceable tool in this game.

Wtf is ramandan?

My guess is Ali disobeyed Islam and ate/drank during the day. Fasting would be a VERY bad thing to do to your body weeks before a WBA/WBC championship match, and a very bad thing to do during fight day!

Anyone know why Ali would take a fight during Ramadan? Google said he announced his conversion to Islam in 1964.
I get the impression Ali would just ignore Ramadan for a fight. My reasoning is this, early on after converting to Islam, Ali said that it was against his faith to fight, but he fought nearly 50 times up until Frazier 75. He clearly made allowances for boxing with his faith.

I get the impression Ali would just ignore Ramadan for a fight. My reasoning is this, early on after converting to Islam, Ali said that it was against his faith to fight, but he fought nearly 50 times up until Frazier 75. He clearly made allowances for boxing with his faith.
Pretty sure Holmes mentioned that Ali wasn't very strict in his beliefs while he was Ali's sparing partner.

Sure, he wasn't.
When Ali was with suspended license, he get some help from Frazier.
When Don needed to sell fight, Ali called Frazier in rude words, also Uncle Tom, b***k **** and so on.
This isn't thing that religious muslim or christian will do, especially vs guy who had gave him money when he had nothing. Damn.

Ali also had used racist terms and words vs Joe, George and a bit vs Larry.
white ppl* champ, black ****, ***h *** , u****x**** etc.
He once called himself as Larry's Master ( this is slavery old times term ).
He called Joe Uncle Tom ( again very specific phrase in U.S cos Twain's book " Uncle Tom " ).
etc beauties.

Very " religious ".

Ali cheated on severel of his wives, had sex with countless prostitutes. Those muslim guys don't always practice what they preach.

This. It’s not like Ali was some devout Muslim.

Ali cheated on severel of his wives, had sex with countless prostitutes. Those muslim guys don't always practice what they preach.
I think that applies to all religions not just muslims. They all talk a good game but many do what they like in reality.

Yea, but especially a lot of muslims have a stick up their asses.
Maybe but I don't think it's exclusive, I come from a Catholic background and I've seen a lot of religious hypocrisy there.

His sect wasnt really Islam. It became more orthodox after Elijah Muhammad's death but I doubt it changed everything. Ali became more strict, as many do, when he got older.

His sect wasnt really Islam. It became more orthodox after Elijah Muhammad's death but I doubt it changed everything. Ali became more strict, as many do, when he got older.
Id even question the stance he became stricter as he aged. He took up a more spiritual approach is my understanding and not really the strict orthodox practice of Islam.

Id even question the stance he became stricter as he aged. He took up a more spiritual approach is my understanding and not really the strict orthodox practice of Islam.
Dont know about ramadan but I believe he stopped his cheating ways and prayed five times a day. Some writers said his religion was all he wanted to talk about in later years.

Doesn't matters, boxers are replaceable relatively easily, while managers and promoters continue to earn money with them on fights cards.
Boxer A or boxer B doesn't matters, cos $ is God and boxers are replaceable.

Yeah, ppl in this business does knows how to work with mainstream fans.
They does knows about biases, tribalism, obsession with 0 , trash talks etc tools to sell fights.
Boxer is replaceable tool in this game.
Fighters, singers, actors, etc. Show business in its entirety is a small group of people constantly churning through fresh faces. Use them, abuse them, and then lose them.

I was in the Pam Anderson thread in the p&m forum earlier and looked for her on yt. It's almost a curse to be that beautiful.

Back