Did you guys tried Jones open hand technique during training?

I don't get why people make such a fuss about this. Jones isn't intentionally poking his opponents in the eye. It's an extremely effective technique for a couple different reasons. Extending your hand out open palm like that takes away your opponents vision to some degree, and not with eye pokes but by blocking his vision, he can't see because your hand is in front of his face and you can land shots behind that. Also, with aggressive guys that likes to come forward you can use your palm on their forehead as they do so and pivot out, giving you a good angle to send one down the pipe while not letting them get in the pocket. It can also be used to find range. A guy with reach like Jones could use this very effectively, as he does.

Because jealously is everywhere on these forums. They will complain about every aspect of jones until he loses, and even then we will still see bitching.

I don't have the reach for that.

I did however try out CB Dollarway's shoulder roll and KO'd 4 sparring partners.

People use the lead hand to find range all the time.

Not really.

you can find range with closed fist ,can't you?

i would never do it in sparring though in real fight i would esp if i was fighting smaller guy. it's dirty but it does work it nobody will go forward when he has fingers in his eyes

in sparing though it is stupid soo you eye pokes someone and say ''sorry i was testing if jones tactics is legit''

images

vs
images

most fighters who utilize the technique for distance use the former (Barao, Machida etc.)

You-know-who has a propensity for the latter, and consciously does so in nearly every fight. Ask yourself, which of these techniques do you think has more of a capability to lead to illegal (and potentially career-ending) damage to the eye?

for the record: I have no problem with "oblique kicks" or the shoulder crank.. and I believe the champ has enough tools and talent to continue winning without the poking... just wish he would stop or the referees give him a real talk in the locker room and start to take points instead of empty warnings during high-stakes championship bouts.

Because jealously is everywhere on these forums. They will complain about every aspect of jones until he loses, and even then we will still see bitching.

oh please. God forbid people dont like someone who has an extreme propensity for poking his opponent in the eye. NTM he pokes said opponent in the eye and keeps his (longer than opponents arm) arm out-stretched with his fingers pointed at their eyes. He also has a condescending holier-than-thou attitude (dui crash into telephone pole while having a bible quote tattoo). The guy acts like a child, is a dirty fighter, and lacks any sort of charisma or character, yet any jones fan accuses any non jones fan of being jealous or a racist. Im a huge bj penn fan and ill be the first to admit he had the worst fanbase on here for a while but we've been surpassed in that regard completely by jones fans.

Did you guys tried Jones open hand technique during training?

Yes, I do tried it this week and I is tried it today too. Did you tried it yet? I think about it. Does anyone else tried this tomorrow?

I tried it sparring with closed gloves against my bro the other day, I have the reach on him so I gave it a go. He gave me a few looks as if to say "seriously what the f--k are you doing here" but I will admit he found it very hard to close the gap and get inside. Everytime he'd move in I was pushing back against his face and moving left or right.

It made him so frustrated he started properly gunning for me and I had to defend properly after.

TL;DR - It was okay for light sparring but when a guys coming at your it's a difficult thing to do.

Haven't done it and it shouldn't be a good thing to propagate to future fighters.

If you're going to do it, at least use a closed fist.

Just take 1/10th of a step back and you have the finger distance subtraction covered.

Tried it. Actually takes some adjustments to aim It right and strategize for it to be aimed at eye level at right times.

Cuz with a normal mindset my hand is more closed like a jab.

But with a dirty tactic mindset, my fingers are extended and its weird to weild a hand like a sword.

In short.

BAS is damn right imo. Jones trains and times his attacks based on finger avoiding.

Seriously try it. Its not even "oh my fingers are out, oops"

Its "come in fast and scary and I got this to your eyes mothafuka"

Karate background for 6 yrs.
Half year kickboxing.
Very basic boxing.

All non competitive tho.
Take my opinion what its worth.

Can't wait for the rematch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member