Did you guys tried Jones open hand technique during training?

Blinded 3 sparring partners

It was highly effective

It depends on what you use it to do. I occasionally extend my lead arm to cover my chin as a form of defense, which works well. I prefer to fight on the outside and nobody can really get in on me if I put my glove in their face (it's best to do this while resetting your range, to keep them from compromising it by following you). Also, just pushing on their gloves/chest/head works, but it's risky if you don't have a long frame.. which obviously doesn't apply to Jones.

But, it's not really advisable to do the "open hand technique" with your lead hand, simply for the reason that doing so with your rear hand provides a more accurate means of finding range (because if you aren't close enough to touch them with your right hand, how are you gonna land your more forward left hand?) and also preserves your faster lead handed counters. When Jones extends his lead hand he completely removes his ability to counterjab or throw left hooks; it only works for him because nobody can really get close to him once his hand is in your face, and also because he doesn't give a shit if you run onto his fingers.

Very effective.

Infact, I've become so good using his technique that people don't spar with me anymore.

Why dont you try yourself to poke in the eye then you understand better

Yeah I tried it but some dude beat the shit out of me and put me on a stretcher.

61165_547031_369207576544627_2013445558_n.jpg

It depends on what you use it to do. I occasionally extend my lead arm to cover my chin as a form of defense, which works well. I prefer to fight on the outside and nobody can really get in on me if I put my glove in their face (it's best to do this while resetting your range, to keep them from compromising it by following you). Also, just pushing on their gloves/chest/head works, but it's risky if you don't have a long frame.. which obviously doesn't apply to Jones.

But, it's not really advisable to do the "open hand technique" with your lead hand, simply for the reason that doing so with your rear hand provides a more accurate means of finding range (because if you aren't close enough to touch them with your right hand, how are you gonna land your more forward left hand?) and also preserves your faster lead handed counters. When Jones extends his lead hand he completely removes his ability to counterjab or throw left hooks; it only works for him because nobody can really get close to him once his hand is in your face, and also because he doesn't give a shit if you run onto his fingers.

People use the lead hand to find range all the time.

Not really.

We did it in kung fu class,as a per se technique to poke the eyes.

I used the technique and then all my sparring partners went blind in 1 eye and the windows exploded and glass shards flew everywhere. One shard stuck me in the **** and I screamed & then I limped outside to my car. The ghost of Ray Charles was there shaking his head in disapproval and then he blew up my car with a rocket launcher. I had a very shitty day today.

i like to throw the open finger stike high and follow up with a low kick! it also works very well in a full guard

I don't use it with the fingers out. I use it to blind my opponent, redirect them as they try to step in, take away one of their hands, hold them in place or break their posture. Depending on which of those things I'm doing, my hand will be in different places. Sometimes not touching them at all, sometimes touching a glove, sometimes posting on the side of the head/neck, sometimes on the top/back of the head etc. it's a good tool. Very adaptable and effective when paired with good footwork to move you into position to punch, or less optimally to allow you to just reset.

I used it once. All my fingers were broken that day.

Yeah I used it once... then I got a shitload of haters telling me some Swedish dude beat me when I clearly beat him 3-2...

Oh yeah, I also can't say something in front of TV or else I get labeled, even though 99% of those blabbing have never come across me in an 80 mile radius..

Don't even get me started on oblique kicks danm...

I don't get why people make such a fuss about this. Jones isn't intentionally poking his opponents in the eye. It's an extremely effective technique for a couple different reasons. Extending your hand out open palm like that takes away your opponents vision to some degree, and not with eye pokes but by blocking his vision, he can't see because your hand is in front of his face and you can land shots behind that. Also, with aggressive guys that likes to come forward you can use your palm on their forehead as they do so and pivot out, giving you a good angle to send one down the pipe while not letting them get in the pocket. It can also be used to find range. A guy with reach like Jones could use this very effectively, as he does.

Back