Did you guys catch the Paul Sass vs Mark Holst fight from UFC 120?

Sass now trains at team Kao Bon sp? One of the up and coming teams in the UK.

He got most of his groundgame from Paul Rimmer and Jason Tan who's fought in the UFC before btw, although I think Rimmer had more influence on him.

The lineage is sorry I have to start at Royce Gracie as I don't know who trained Royce.

Royce>Chris Brennan>Paul Rimmer>Paul Sass.

He's listed as a Purple Belt but I think that might be due to the fact that Sass moved to Kao Bon before Brennan came over to do another grading and therefore wasn't promoted to Brown.

It was nice to see someone who has that much confidence in his BJJ and his guard game. I would love to see more of this. Demian Maia used to do it more, but I think he's trying to work on his standup game more.

Sucks for my mn Mark Holst. My friend who trains at OAMA says that he can gor a full 5 rounds of stuffing takedowns from a volley of fresh guys and never get even close to the ground. I think he's a purple belt too, but his real talent is in muay thai. Apparently he goes to train with GSP once a wekk (or is it 2?) and has some practice Skarbowsky.

Paul Sassangle loves to work off his back!! I guess he doesn't bother training takedown defence!!

when he runs into the right person, he is gonna wish he trained takedown defense, not sure how wise it is to invite all your opponents into your guard

:icon_idea:icon_idea:icon_idea

Even Royce tried to take people down, he'll get his shit pushed in next fight imo

Thanks for the heads up, I wasnt even going to watch this fight....but its pretty entertaining.

Since he is at Kaobon that makes Sass a Luta Livre guy (under Marcelo Brigadeiro) so the MMA/BJJ love-in is unwarranted here i'm afraid.

11-0 with 10 subs (8 triangles and 2 heel hooks) and only 1 dec, impressive stats too

Aoki is still the man with his offensive buttscoot, though. He peeled the logo off the mat in Strikeforce chasing down Melendez.

Dude is the man, not only does he pull guard, he pop a squat and ass-sprint needs be.

We need more of this.

Since he is at Kaobon that makes Sass a Luta Livre guy (under Marcelo Brigadeiro) so the MMA/BJJ love-in is unwarranted here i'm afraid.

I don't know jack about Lutra Livre. Do they use the same belt rankings as bjj because he's a purple belt.

But he's only been at Kao Bon for one fight, what about the dozens before that under Rimmer and Tan?? If he's trained BJJ for years and has been beating ppl by Submission for all those years, then his BJJ must have something to do with that! Just because he's been under some luta livre guy for a year dnt make that his base!!

How can ppl be saying NO GI dnt = BJJ??

But he's only been at Kao Bon for one fight, what about the dozens before that under Rimmer and Tan?? If he's trained BJJ for years and has been beating ppl by Submission for all those years, then his BJJ must have something to do with that! Just because he's been under some luta livre guy for a year dnt make that his base!!

How can ppl be saying NO GI dnt = BJJ??

Its ridiculous. I think it stems from Eddie Bravo hate.

Back