Did you guys catch the Paul Sass vs Mark Holst fight from UFC 120?

thegreenblender

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Unaired prelim I guess, looked it up after I saw it mentioned in Sherdog article.

If you get a kick out of guardpulling in high level MMA, you may like it!

What do you want, a championship fight? you know what I mean. It's rare to see the guard pull outside the bush league orgs these days.

Sass is a brit with a good ground game, he lacks the striking though oddly!

Paul Sassangle loves to work off his back!! I guess he doesn't bother training takedown defence!!

Nice fight. I thoroughly enjoyed Sass's bjj. It felt very smooth.

Sass wanted to play guard and Sass wanted a triangle. His opponent knew it but still couldn't stop it.

I also liked how the article said it was similar to the NFL's QB Option play.

Unaired prelim?They showed it on spike here...Maybe it was just my area since Holst is fighting out of the city I live in?

Anyway, Sass made a fan out of me.

The triangle looked great and looks like a Damian Maia type person - tho obviously no where as nearly accomplished, but his technique looked great plus his leg control.
Hes beaten a couple of members from my gym - Both by Triangle (as part of his record)

They showed it in my area too. My jaw dropped when he pulled guard as I've NEVER seen that in an MMA fight before. Then he worked for the triangle and got it and I was very impressed.

I saw it. They said he trains under a Renzo Gracie BB. His guard game was very aggressive. Nice triangle!

They showed it in my area too. My jaw dropped when he pulled guard as I've NEVER seen that in an MMA fight before. Then he worked for the triangle and got it and I was very impressed.

You've never seen someone pull guard in an MMA match? What about every person that fought Anderson Silva in the last 5 years who specializes in BJJ? lol...

what about

RubberGuard.jpg

It was a great triangle and a really good display of Jiu-Jitsu.

But when he fights somebody with good submission defense and decent striking, he's gonna be in for a long (or short) night.

Sass has very, very good BJJ. It was an exciting display.

You've never seen someone pull guard in an MMA match? What about every person that fought Anderson Silva in the last 5 years who specializes in BJJ? lol...

what about

RubberGuard.jpg

i have to admit that i only have watched ufc 1-5 and only the ufc from about 2 years ago when i myself started training. I don't really watch much outside of UFC, WEC, and boxing and really no one has stood out as much as Sass did in terms of pulling the guard..

Back