Did you count Gastelum's knock down against Adesanya?

FlyingDeathKick

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
UFC stats.com (the new fight metric I guess) has the knockdowns 4-0 for Adesanya but the commentators seemed convinced Gastelum legit knocked him down. It didn't really seem like a legit knockdown to me though, what do you guys think?

I'm sure Kelvin knocked him down in the first round

I doubt it was a knock down. Yes he did land on Israel but israel was more out of balance

Did adesanya get knocked down? No I didn't see him get dropped, he got hit clean and got hurt yes, but dropped? Nope

It wasn't as significant as Israel's knock downs on Kelvin but he definitely got staggered

I'd have to rewatch it. At the time I seen it though, it didn't look like a proper knockdown to me.

Adesanya did lol

Don't know why anyone else would dispute

It's absolutely a legit knockdown. Problem is, knockdowns are more sort of technically defined because boxing needs to count knockdowns, whereas MMA doesn't, so it's fans are kinda loose with the rules. If a fighter has to use the cage or ropes to keep themselves standing, or if they would have fallen without the use of them, it's a knockdown.

On the night before, Loma got a 'knockdown' by the ref's call cuz Crolla was falling out of the ropes. It confused a lot of people because usually a ref stops a guy still 'standing' only to end the fight, so everyone thought it was over, but it was completely the right call. Same with Israel, he fell into the cage and use it to stand up.

If Khabib knocked down Conor, then Kelvin knocked down Adesanya

Technically I guess it wasn't a knockdown. Thought it was a knockdown at the time but by strict criteria it probably doesn't count.

He got knocked down, but he collapsed backwards into the fence, meaning he ended on his knees instead of his backside. If there was no cage, he would be down.

If Khabib knocked down Conor, then Kelvin knocked down Adesanya
yeah was a very similar 'knockdown', in a boxing fight they would be called a knockdown because a strike did connect but it wasn't like a massive knockdown like when whittaker dropped by yoel.

yeah was a very similar 'knockdown', in a boxing fight they would be called a knockdown because a strike did connect but it wasn't like a massive knockdown like when whittaker dropped by yoel.

It would be up to the ref to give israel a standing 8 count but he was not knocked down. Mcgregor on the other hand took a knee. Thats always considered a knockdown.

Did adesanya get knocked down? No I didn't see him get dropped, he got hit clean and got hurt yes, but dropped? Nope
He got hit while moving backwards and kind of fell in rd 1, I need to see it again but it just looked like he was off balance. He didn't get dropped clean like Gastelum but the commentators labelled it a knock down. Even when watching the replay Joe still called it a knockdown.

Adesanya did lol

Don't know why anyone else would dispute
In boxing it ruled as a knockdwnif a part of ypur body, other than the feet, touches the ground. I'd need to see it agian, but I thought Ade held himself up on the cage and his hands didn;t touch the ground. MAybe his butt did, but I don't remember that.

It wasn't much of a knockdown in the 1st, to be honest. But Gastelum had Israel hurt in the 4th, should have followed-up with strikes & instead he shot for the weakest double-leg i've ever seen - talk about a dumb move on his part.

Back