Did Woodleys performance last night confirm why GSP chose to fight Bisping?

At least you can acknowledge he was cherrypicking the weakest MW champ ever.

I think it’s safe to say he wouldn’t have challenged for that belt had Rockhold/Romero/Whittaker been champion.
Get some history on what and the timeline of George’s return. When he first made the announcement he wanted to come back and fight. Rocksalt was STILL the MW champ son.

Bisping took it soon after and that is why he pushed for the fight.

So he never ducked Anderson Silva when they were both Champs and in their prime? come on man. You should know. GSP easily could have made 185 and walks around more.

Then he goes and fights Bisping for the title??? Please

You can't duck the champion of another division.

It's nice to know you think GSP is that much better than Anderson though.

Woodlery will never be GOAT because of Rory Macdonald, and that is just a fact.

Gets bodied, and then DUCKS HIM.

That isnt a goat, that is someone who has lost, and then chose not to try and avenge his loss, something GSP has always done.

Not GOAT
According to White, Lombard sent a text message on Friday underscoring his interest in the bout.

"I'm literally flying here [to Sacramento], I'm on the plane, I'm wheels up, and I get a text from Hector Lombard that says, ‘please get this Woodley fight done for me, I want this fight so bad, he's a two-faced phony and I want to beat his ass.' Literally what he said to me. So I called Woodley when I landed, and said, obviously this isn't a teammate thing, here's what your teammate said, and he wants this fight bad. And he said he can say whatever he wants, he's about him and he's always about him, this fight doesn't work for me and my brand. He started telling me all these reasons why he doesn't want this fight. I said, whatever kid. Do your thing. But he wants nothing to do with Hector."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/...tyron-woodley-wants-no-part-of-hector-lombard

Granted, the source is Dana White, but that sounds like something Woodley would've said.

As a GSP nuthugger, you know none of it is true. Woodley is the better striker, wrestler, and the more athletic between the two.

Woodley's beastly run has made people forget that other guy....what's his name again?

Now go, run Thunderstruck! Report and cry to the mods!!!! Run and cry!!! Hit that report button!!!
<{cruzshake}>

Yeah I think so, certainly not unwinnable but Woodley is a much more dangerous counter fighter than Kos.

You can't duck the champion of another division.

It's nice to know you think GSP is that much better than Anderson though.

Obviously. GSP ruled his division for years and didn't even come close to losing his belt until he tore ACL and started declining. Anderson had some close calls and was dipping up to LHW. Champ for champ have to give it GSP. Overall fighter, Anderson Silva.

IMO, GSP should have stayed retired after he beat Hendrix and live the good life.

I am the biggest GSP fan ever (as my name suggests)

Unfortunately I would have to concede that T-Wood would flatline any version of him in the 1st round. Poor Georges wouldn't even get a chance to tap to strikes before he was snoozing on the canvas
Hard to confirm your fandom of GSP given you just joined today... having it in your name could be a red herring to be honest.

I think GSP beats Woodley, assuming GSP is healthy.

Woodley is definitely the #2 WW of all time now, but he has not fared well against fighters who are truly well rounded, Rory and Marquardt.

GSP is still one of the best true MMA fighters in that he is able to do everything at a high level.

Woodley is also very well rounded, but I don't think he is as dominant against someone when he can't dictate the terms of the fight, GSP has proven he can adapt.

GSP had the chance to shut up the guy who was claiming to be the WW GOAT... instead he chose to fight Michael Ping who had one foot out of the door ready for retirement. Then he vacated the belt a month later instead of honoring his contract to fight #1 contender Whittaker.

He cites colitis as his reasoning, yet now he wants to torture his kidneys and body more with a weightcut to 155lbs instead of returning to his healthy career weightclass, 170lbs.

Did last night just show how serious of a threat Woodley is to GSP’s legacy as WW GOAT? Woodley is closing in fast on the claim to that title.

Also, fact: Woodley is proven to be a better PPV draw than Bisping.
View attachment 433973

Bisping was the bigger PPV draw at the time. Moreover, no one wanted to see GSP fight once more at WW (he'd already done it too many times), whereas no one had seen GSP at MW.

The fact is, GSP is only back for the money. He'd been sitting on his butt doing nothing for four years, so he hadn't earned a shot at either the WW or MW title (in fact, he should have had to have at least one fight in a small organization to prove he still belonged in the UFC after four years).

The fact that both Bisping and Woodley wanted to fight GSP proved that they too just wanted the money - in a real sport both would have said GSP should have to prove he was worthy of a title shot. GSP was 37, had not fought in four years, everyone should have been saying he should prove himself before getting a title shot. Even Muhammad Ali, a much better fighter and athlete than GSP, had to take a couple of warm-up fights before getting a title fight against Joe Frazier ... and Ali was only 29 at the time.

Not that I blame GSP, if someone offered me an easy route to make a few million I'd have jumped at it too. Same for Bisping and Woodley, of course they want to fight a guy with a big name, even if he'd done absolutely zilch the last four years. I blame the UFC, for putting short term money ahead of the sport.

According to White, Lombard sent a text message on Friday underscoring his interest in the bout.

"I'm literally flying here [to Sacramento], I'm on the plane, I'm wheels up, and I get a text from Hector Lombard that says, ‘please get this Woodley fight done for me, I want this fight so bad, he's a two-faced phony and I want to beat his ass.' Literally what he said to me. So I called Woodley when I landed, and said, obviously this isn't a teammate thing, here's what your teammate said, and he wants this fight bad. And he said he can say whatever he wants, he's about him and he's always about him, this fight doesn't work for me and my brand. He started telling me all these reasons why he doesn't want this fight. I said, whatever kid. Do your thing. But he wants nothing to do with Hector."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/...tyron-woodley-wants-no-part-of-hector-lombard

Granted, the source is Dana White, but that sounds like something Woodley would've said.
I don't see you giving Rory any static for ducking Lombard

I like GSP, respect GSP, mucho respect for GSP... but he's not beating Woodley, and he knows that. Georges had two primary options for his big comeback fight at MSG: Woodley or Bisping. He saw Bisping get knocked around like a human pinball against Hendo and he chose the easier opponent, period. GSP wants no part of Woodley, and frankly I don't even blame him.

You must be either too young or too dumb...

He only cares about improving his legacy and making money... Winning back his old belt isn't going to improve his legacy...

If he cared about legacy he would have fought anderson silva and would have given hendricks a rematch. He cares only about the money and his brand.

He is the exact opposite of cherry picker, and he has never ducked anyone.

Ya he ducked anderson silva and then vacated the MW belt when he had to defend vs whittaker. In the past he said if he fought at MW he would stay there but now hes talking about LW and below 170. Its also arguable he ducked a hendricks rematch

I don't see you giving Rory any static for ducking Lombard
Perhaps that's because the thread isn't about MacDonald? Nor are the people in the thread suggesting that MacDonald is the Welterweight GOAT.

Woodley also ducked Rory.
Can't wait for MacDonald's Bellator contract to run out so he can come back to the UFC and get his head knocked off by Woodley.

Ruthless killed the Rory that could beat Woodley. That Rory is never coming back.

Back