Did UFC need Fedor or did Fedor need UFC?

I think Fedor's political stances are definitely clouding your opinions on his career
Maybe. Nobody's perfect. All I can say is that I was highly critical of his career developments long before things brought politics to a head. Of course I was disappointed when he joined United Russia in 2008, but was still a fan.

Khabib himself has a big quality of opposition problem. But I still rank his career higher as he actually fought in UFC, albeit did his best to avoid dangerous opponents. Fedor only fought either former champions 2-11 years removed from their belts (and still managed to lose to a MW Hendo), or future champions in Nog and Werdum, which yielded mixed results.

I'd say they both have very much padded records and Fedor faced more top fighters than Khabib. But Khabib, having faced only 4 top fighters in his entire career, remains undefeated against all others by virtue of not facing them.

Fedor is Michael "Venom" Page of HW division at best.
Faceplant Frodo is the MVP?

Solid points.
But losses still count.
That's why Khabib is the Greatest Russian Mixed Martial Artist of All Time. If wins count, then so do losses. If losses don't count, then neither do wins. So we judge a fighter by what exactly? Quality of competition? Like Hong Man Choi? Real legacy builder there.....
Accomplishments.
I was talking about this recently, in a thread comparing Aldo and Volk. And I rank Aldo higher all time. And someone said, “But Aldo has lost X number of fights!” And sure—after being undefeated at FW for a decade, and after ruling that division for 6 years, and after 9 title defenses, Aldo lost some fights.
Volk has done none of the things I just listed. Once he does, then let’s start looking at losses.

Same in this case. Fedor had a run in which he wasn’t cleanly beaten for a decade, beat 5 former or future UFC champs in (or pretty damn near) their prime, and had 5 total HW title defenses. Let me know when another HW does that, and then we can split hairs over losses, to whom, and when. I mean, Stipe has 4 losses himself, and has fought nearly as many fights or nearly as long. Fedor has 5 clean losses at HW in 22 years.

Accomplishments.
I was talking about this recently, in a thread comparing Aldo and Volk. And I rank Aldo higher all time. And someone said, “But Aldo has lost X number of fights!” And sure—after being undefeated at FW for a decade, and after ruling that division for 6 years, and after 9 title defenses, Aldo lost some fights.
Volk has done none of the things I just listed. Once he does, then let’s start looking at losses.

Same in this case. Fedor had a run in which he wasn’t cleanly beaten for a decade, beat 5 former or future UFC champs in (or pretty damn near) their prime, and had 5 total HW title defenses. Let me know when another HW does that, and then we can split hairs over losses, to whom, and when. I mean, Stipe has 4 losses himself, and has fought nearly as many fights or nearly as long. Fedor has 5 clean losses at HW in 22 years.
I agree on title defenses for sure.
UFC title defenses though. That's the standard. If Pitbull or anyone else at Bellator has a long run as champion, I just don't count it vs the UFC.

That's one of the hardest parts of evaluating Fedor. Win streak is nice.
UFC title defenses is better.

UFC title defenses though. That's the standard. If Pitbull or anyone else at Bellator has a long run as champion, I just don't count it vs the UFC.

Fedor’s 3 PRIDE defenses are on equal footing with UFC defenses imo. The 2 WAMMA defenses I give the same significance as Overeem’s DREAM and Strikeforce titles. They’re not as significant as a PRIDE or UFC belt, but Fedor having 3 PRIDE and 2 WAMMA defenses in one continuous unbeaten run trumps what Stipe (or any other HW) has accomplished, title defense-wise.

I'm glad we never got UFC and M-1 presents UFC: Russia featuring a ton of Fedors croonies.

UFC flourished, Fedor made money for himself, not the orgs he went to

Would have helped both but in the end both ended up just fine without each other.

Probably better he didnt go to UFC cause he would have eventually lost and you would have never heard the end of it about him winning fights in Pride but then losing in UFC.

of course it does suck we didnt get to see it, could have had huge fights and just seeing him in UFC that first time would have been fun to see but it wasnt meant to be.

I dont think anyone "needed" each other. But who would have benefited more? Fedor for sure, if he at least won a few fights which he likely would have.

Fedor still made a lot of money and has a lot of respect in the industry. But obviously he would be more famous with the UFC machine behind him.

The UFC is much bigger than Fedor so Fedor not participating wouldn't have meant much. A couple of good buy rates isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Fedor won 18 straight fights after becoming world champion.

For me personally I would say Fedor legacy is tarnish because he did not sign UFC. He became the greatest 'what if' in MMA.

I'm glad we never got UFC and M-1 presents UFC: Russia featuring a ton of Fedors croonies.

UFC flourished, Fedor made money for himself, not the orgs he went to

Fedors "cronies" guys who fought for M-1 like Khabib Nurmagomedov and Shavkat Rahmanov and Vadim Nemkov. Yea God forbid Russia would have introduced those guys to the UFC.

Fedors "cronies" guys who fought for M-1 like Khabib Nurmagomedov and Shavkat Rahmanov and Vadim Nemkov. Yea God forbid Russia would have introduced those guys to the UFC.
Yes there were a handful of great fighters that came from M-1, like they come from any fight organization.

But LMAO at Strike force agreeing to the co-promotion. Fedor won against Brett Rogers then lost. They swiftly took away the Co-Promotion, proving UFC made the right call

Yes there were a handful of great fighters that came from M-1, like they come from any fight organization.

But LMAO at Strike force agreeing to the co-promotion. Fedor won against Brett Rogers then lost. They swiftly took away the Co-Promotion, proving UFC made the right call
They didn’t swiftly take away co-promotion. All Fedor’s Strikeforce fights were co-promoted.
176E0E80-F6EE-4AA4-9F8A-6120D2C6DCCF.jpeg

Greatest fighter of all time that got finished FIVE times?!
No boxer who has been knocked out 4 times would EVER be considered Goat.
No other MMA fighter with 5 losses would be considered Goat.
If losses at the end of a career don't count than Anderson Silva is Goat; and BJ's terrible losing streak doesn't count.
Fine, Melvin Guillard and Faceplant Frodo are both Goat.
Not a beta male; don't live in my mom's basement; I've been watching since UFC 1.

"No boxer who has been knocked out 4 times would EVER be considered Goat." - Mohammad Ali finished his career with 5 loses including losing 3/4 of his last fights. Also got beat up pretty good in an exhibition fight. Many consider him goat. Mike Tyson had a very humiliating career finish, a few people list him as goat. I think all of the great heavyweight boxers had loses at the end, except Rocky Marciano.

"If losses at the end of a career don't count than Anderson Silva is Goat; and BJ's terrible losing streak doesn't count." - I consider Anderson Silva the goat of his division. And I also consider BJ Penn one of the best ever of his division. I would put him in the top 3, certainly the top 5 of that division.

It is hard having an unbeaten streak at heavyweight. One mistake you get submitted, one punch can knock you out. Fedor went from May 21, 2000 to June 26, 2010 undefeated. 31 wins.

"No boxer who has been knocked out 4 times would EVER be considered Goat." - Mohammad Ali finished his career with 5 loses including losing 3/4 of his last fights. Also got beat up pretty good in an exhibition fight. Many consider him goat. Mike Tyson had a very humiliating career finish, a few people list him as goat. I think all of the great heavyweight boxers had loses at the end, except Rocky Marciano.

"If losses at the end of a career don't count than Anderson Silva is Goat; and BJ's terrible losing streak doesn't count." - I consider Anderson Silva the goat of his division. And I also consider BJ Penn one of the best ever of his division. I would put him in the top 3, certainly the top 5 of that division.

It is hard having an unbeaten streak at heavyweight. One mistake you get submitted, one punch can knock you out. Fedor went from May 21, 2000 to June 26, 2010 undefeated. 31 wins.
Before Werdum he was a sight to behold. Never boring. Never played safe. The only other fighter that blew me away with his streak was Anderson Silva.

Your post was great. I'm done trolling about this.

Aldo and Mighty mouse also had amazing streaks.
Who in MMA now can have such a streak again? I don't know if it's possible because as a whole I believe it's too competitive.
If I look at some current undefeated fighters in the UFC, the first thing that sticks out is how they really haven't faced much high level competition.
Shavkat, Khamzat, and Brady.
Ironic all in WW so some 0s gotta go.

I think Adysena (if he gets past Perreria) could have an amazing run at MW.

Last edited:
Fedor didnt need the UFC and the UFC really didnt need Fedor. But so much potential for both was lost by them never getting a deal done. Some wins in the UFC (with or without a belt) would have made Fedor a known quantity to casuals and squashed any haters who lie to themselves that Fedor woudnt have done well. The UFC would have been able to market the hell out of Fedor and had just about all the greats under their banner at one time or another.

Imagine if the Silvia and Arlovski fights had occurred in the UFC. Would have been insane.

In my honest opinion, Fedor should have signed with the UFC after the Werdum fight, after that the UFC probably never cared. He could have made some money before his decline.

In my honest opinion, Fedor should have signed with the UFC after the Werdum fight, after that the UFC probably never cared. He could have made some money before his decline.
Ahh yes sign on at the tail end of his career then Dana can say see he couldn't even hack it in the UFC. . .

Back