Did UFC 165 prove that Jones doesn't belong in the P4P discussions?

This fight shows he can handle adversity!!!!! This fight will make him better!!!! Still number 1!!!!!

He sure as hell isn't #1. He would get trashed at HW. All of those people saying he'd beat Cain and JDS at HW have gone into hiding.

For the first time, he fought someone his own size, and got cleanly outboxed on the feet. He also was pushed back, saw Gus stand up effortlessly from his one TD even while allegedly gassed and hurt, and stuffed everything else. His wrestling and striking were no where near what his legion of blind acolytes would have had you believe. His success was built much more on his physical attributes than it ever was on anything else. Saturday night proved that; Jon was very lucky to escape with the title.

The P4P List should probably look like this after Saturday night:

#1: GSP
#2: Aldo
#3: Barao
#4: Weidman
#5: Jones
#6: Silva
#7: Cain
#8: Pettis
#9: Johnson
#10: Gus

HM to Belfort, Hendricks, Machida, Bendo, and Cruz (even though he's out).

Did UFC 165 prove that Jones doesn't belong in the P4P discussions?

Absolutely, Jones skills are very lacking in a lot of departments. The guy has horrendous boxing skills in offense and and defense. I dont know how a guy that cant box could be considered a P4P best fighter.

Saying Jones is P4P best is like saying Bobb Sapp was a more skillful than Ernesto Hoost because he beat him twice. The biggest factor in winning is freak size not skill, the same with Jon Jones.

Aldo, because he dominates his own weight class and likely will dominate the next weight class above.
It is not reasonable to imagine Jones dominating at HW (or GSP at MW).

Because he had one close fight that he won?

Makes perfect sense.

Jones has rolled Bader, Obrien and Vera, fighters who weigh more than Gus and have jones exact size and comparable reach.

Maybe Gus is just a very good fighter with great TDD.

Also jones showed that he has a great chin and can take a punch which is something people were harping on. Cain looked terrible against Kongo but that doesn't mean Cain isnt pound for pound and I think Gus is in another stratosphere than Kongo.

Jones is top 3

Cain looking terrible against Kongo is akin to Jones looking average against Gusmao. Not really relevant. Also, Cain hardly looked terrible other than two brief moments. Jones certainly does deserve to be top 3, though.

Jones has rolled Bader, Obrien and Vera, fighters who weigh more than Gus and have jones exact size and comparable reach.

lol wtf u obviously are a confused person

Yes he is. Just because you think he shouldn't because you're a butt hurt Vitor Belfort fan doesn't mean anything. Get over it, pal.

Silva hasn't faced nearly the competition Jones has. And Jones never lost a fight. DQ is not a lost.

At this point, I don't see how Silva is on top. Jones fought better opponents and lost less fights. Jones' only competitor is GSP.

Cain looking terrible against Kongo is akin to Jones looking average against Gusmao. Not really relevant. Also, Cain hardly looked terrible other than two brief moments. Jones certainly does deserve to be top 3, though.

Cain looked worse against JDS in the first fight.

Cain looked worse against JDS in the first fight.

Yes, he did. That's part of why I'd rate Jones higher. I stand by my point that Cain's momentary struggles with Kongo hold about as much weight as Jones' struggles against Gusmao.

Yes he is. Just because you think he shouldn't because you're a butt hurt Vitor Belfort fan doesn't mean anything. Get over it, pal.

Anderson hasn't fought anything but garbage. Right now Anderson is about 4 o the all-time list and about 4 on the p4p

No. It just proved that MMA fans are shitty fairweather fans especially here on Sherdog(not UG is any better though).

How jones could drop in the p4p rankings after a hard fought win against a highly credible opponent (which most of us know now after the fight) is crazy.

The next new p4p king will be pettis next year.

GSP should always have been #1 after Anderson lost and it's a travesty he wasn't immediately after Anderson's loss

Jones is still #2 P4P and incredible. But he has yet to accomplish what Georges has

Absolutely, Jones skills are very lacking in a lot of departments. The guy has horrendous boxing skills in offense and and defense. I dont know how a guy that cant box could be considered a P4P best fighter.

Saying Jones is P4P best is like saying Bobb Sapp was a more skillful than Ernesto Hoost because he beat him twice. The biggest factor in winning is freak size not skill, the same with Jon Jones.

Just like a guy that cant stop a take down (Anderson) made it.

OP is retarded.

This isn't the inch for inch ranking or something. It's pound for pound. Weight, not height or reach.

Back