Did UFC 165 prove that Jones doesn't belong in the P4P discussions?

Carl Sonnen

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Did UFC 165 prove that Jones doesn't belong in the P4P discussions? I believe it did. Jones excels because of his size advantage. His wrestling doesn't look so hot when he has to take down a guy his own size. His boxing is not so fearsome when the opponent doesn't have to fear Jones' reach. If you had Jones in your P4P list before, remove him. If you still have him in your list, think again.

No. He's still at the top of the p4p discussion. Many people will argue about him and GSP being one and two.

I personally would have to go with GSP because of his longer reign and consistent dominance.

1. GSP
2. Jones
3. Aldo

Edit: even though I didn't mention him I think Anderson is still a top p4p fighter. Depending on how the Weidman rematch goes will tell us for sure his position.

He's still top 10 p4p

Well, ya. You can't have a record like his and not be in the top 10, and especially the top 5 of active fighters.

I do agree with TS, though. With his size advantage is reduced, he had a very tough fight that I feel he lost. Jones is very skilled, but not to the extent that his record would suggest.

He's still number 1 in my book. And that's saying a lot.

Jones
GSP
Aldo
Barao

Here the weird thing TS
P4P is short for Pound for Pound.
The Ufc is broken down into weight classes.

So if a fighter is taller, like Jones, or shorter like Rashad.
That doesn't disqualify them from victory. Combattents don't win simply because they are taller.
That why its not I4I
Inch being a measurement of length and not weight, like the pound

Did UFC 165 prove that Jones doesn't belong in the P4P discussions? I believe it did. Jones excels because of his size advantage. His wrestling doesn't look so hot when he has to take down a guy his own size. His boxing is not so fearsome when the opponent doesn't have to fear Jones' reach. If you had Jones in your P4P list before, remove him. If you still have him in your list, think again.

Jones has rolled Bader, Obrien and Vera, fighters who weigh more than Gus and have jones exact size and comparable reach.

Maybe Gus is just a very good fighter with great TDD.

Also jones showed that he has a great chin and can take a punch which is something people were harping on. Cain looked terrible against Kongo but that doesn't mean Cain isnt pound for pound and I think Gus is in another stratosphere than Kongo.

Jones is top 3

I never pick jones and I been saying all this time he has a glass jaw and will get exposed eventually, but he proved me wrong.

That fight was his best performance to date
He showed heart and being able to comeback from adversity. Gus really tested jones physically and mentally and jones passed with flying colors.

I still don't give two shits about him, but he proved why he is one of the best in the world.

He should be in discussion. Certainly the Top 5. He just shouldn't be #1.

If anything it proves even more he's NO.1. This fight proved Jones could handle a real challenge from someone his age(to all those people who say he beat a bunch of washed up old men who were in their prime when Jones was in his early twenties.) Having the GOAT fight on your resume doesn't hurt look at Ali in boxing and how many close fights he had and many consider him the greatest ever.

I have him interchangeable with Aldo at 2 and 3.

Here the weird thing TS
P4P is short for Pound for Pound.
The Ufc is broken down into weight classes.

So if a fighter is taller, like Jones, or shorter like Rashad.
That doesn't disqualify them from victory. Combattents don't win simply because they are taller.
That why its not I4I
Inch being a measurement of length and not weight, like the pound

Pretty much this

Back