Did Tyson have low motivation after AJ loss?

James4210

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I can across this idea watching boxing youtubes but it struck a cord. AJ's loss took away Tyson's purpose. Instead of a stepping stone to an 70 million payday, it became a gain little and risk losing fight with Wilder. I really think this it took the edge off his motivation to go all out in training.

Wilder is such a bastard, he ruined everything. He could easily have got 20 million to step aside by the Arabs and have a guaranteed fight with the winner of AJ Fury. Plonker.

No because Usyk winning gave him new motivation by that logic.

No because Usyk winning gave him new motivation by that logic.
I dont know. He doesnt seem to be that into fighting Usyk from what I can gather. I think he is hoping AJ can win the rematch.

Fury doesn't care about money only legacy so fighting Usyk, assuming he beats Joshua again, should be just as good in terms of motivation. That's unless he's lying.....

Yes, but Wilders accusations kept him motivated to dish out some punishment. You could see he was pretty angry the 1-2 weeks before the fight. Had Wilder kept silent who knows maybe Fury would have been less motivated.

No of course not. Why would he be worrying over what 1 of his rivals is doin??

he can fight usyk for all the belts and Joshua’s still there for a huge all British fight. If he holds the belts he gets a much bigger share of the revenue. It actually benefits him if he fights and beats usyk for all the belts first

I think Tyson did not want to fight Wilder again. And why would he? He beat him two times and it was a high risk low reward scenario. The only thing he gained from it was shutting up the whack conspiracy theorist grifters, like Ahki, Elie Seckbach and Dontae's Boxing, who said he had egg weights in his glove and cheated. Tyson is not like Wlad or other champions of the past who wanted to break defense records. He is only interested in big challenges, like being the one to beak Wlad's streak or taking Wilder's undefeated record away and declaring himself the best of his generation.

There will always be some new contender, but w/ AJ losing you can tell he does not have the same fire to go and beat guys like Whyte. Big John saying 'fight Usyk or don't bother' makes sense knowing how they operate. It is no surprise that he already started with the retirement talk, and if Usyk loses the rematch, there will probably be a trilogy and it could potentially be years until we see Tyson again.

Usyk ain't selling out Wembley stadium or selling enough PPVs to yield the 25+Millon quid Fury could have made fighting AJ.
Bang on. The only x factor here is how well did the PPV sell and how large of a star is Fury now by himself. The last PPV did like 1.3M PPV's, which is huge for HW boxing, so it is potential that he somehow tapped into that normie mainstream like Conor did. It could be a possibility that Fury could sell a million PPV's vs anyone at this point. It feels like he is the biggest star in combat sports now and certainly the biggest in boxing, but will have to validate that with the numbers.

I don't think Tyson cares much about money. I figure couple million and a triple axle trailer he'd be happy based on how he lives. He's a f****** Gypsy after all. And he has a 100 million or more.. he cares about being the man so whoever's up will take a swat at.

I dont know. He doesnt seem to be that into fighting Usyk from what I can gather. I think he is hoping AJ can win the rematch.
Usyk ain't selling out Wembley stadium or selling enough PPVs to yield the 25+Millon quid Fury could have made fighting AJ.
AJ fight is still there, even if AJ gets smoked a 2nd time by Usyk. It's not unheard of to think of, HW boxing puts asses in seats and another guy breaking into the elite category only additional paydays for everyone fans are intrigued by. Right now the big 4 are Fury, Usyk, AJ, and Wilder. Fan intrigue isn't universal for every combination you can get out of them, but it's definitely there for all 4, even the recent losers

Bang on. The only x factor here is how well did the PPV sell and how large of a star is Fury now by himself. The last PPV did like 1.3M PPV's, which is huge for HW boxing, so it is potential that he somehow tapped into that normie mainstream like Conor did. It could be a possibility that Fury could sell a million PPV's vs anyone at this point. It feels like he is the biggest star in combat sports now and certainly the biggest in boxing, but will have to validate that with the numbers.
Tyson is becoming a huge star. His openness discussing dealing with mental health issues makes him a relatable character. He was overweight and addicted to an unhealthy lifestyle and dug himself out of that hole..

Now I would assume we all know that here, but to the "casuals" - and that is who will drive that big ppv numbers, that is something to grasp onto. Getting knocked down and getting back up, whether it is life that puts you on your ass, or Deontay Wilder....

But it is hard to sell those big numbers without a dance partner to create a storyline. Conor is an anomaly, but even Conor sold almost twice as much when facing Khabib.

AJ fight is still there, even if AJ gets smoked a 2nd time by Usyk. It's not unheard of to think of, HW boxing puts asses in seats and another guy breaking into the elite category only additional paydays for everyone fans are intrigued by. Right now the big 4 are Fury, Usyk, AJ, and Wilder. Fan intrigue isn't universal for every combination you can get out of them, but it's definitely there for all 4, even the recent losers
Agreed.

And should either of the runners up take on an interesting challenge and succeed, they could be back in the good graces of the fans quickly. If they fight each other, the winner of an AJ vs Wilder fight is back on top, or Wilder taking out Ruiz..

For all the shit Wilder and his fans get for making excuses I'm sure seeing a hell of a lot for Fury suddenly.

What I'd like to know is how AJ has fans he seems so fake trying too hard type. Yeah the Russian is a blank slate like they all are but AJ I don't get. Wilder is much more compelling than AJ.

What I'd like to know is how AJ has fans he seems so fake trying too hard type. Yeah the Russian is a blank slate like they all are but AJ I don't get. Wilder is much more compelling than AJ.

Different strokes for different folks pal. As many fans as fury has, he has as many detractors. More maybe? Same for all of these boxers. Very few are universally loved

Tyson is becoming a huge star. His openness discussing dealing with mental health issues makes him a relatable character. He was overweight and addicted to an unhealthy lifestyle and dug himself out of that hole..

Now I would assume we all know that here, but to the "casuals" - and that is who will drive that big ppv numbers, that is something to grasp onto. Getting knocked down and getting back up, whether it is life that puts you on your ass, or Deontay Wilder....

But it is hard to sell those big numbers without a dance partner to create a storyline. Conor is an anomaly, but even Conor sold almost twice as much when facing Khabib.
Agreed.

Conor did have a massive bump after the Siver fight in the US when he was introduced the American public tho. It was no coincidence they put that card in Boston, where there is a massive Boston-Irish population and put that card right after the Patriots game. UFC 178 sold like 200K PPV's, but after the Siver showcase then UFC 189 did 825K w/ a short notice replacement, UFC 194 did 1.2M and then Conor really, really took off, did millions no matter the opponent. I think the question now is did this Wilder Trilogy do the trick of properly introducing Fury to the American public as Conor did over 2015? If the trilogy broke the 1.2 million in the United States that the 2 fight did, Tyson may have broke thru to a new level.

Agreed.

Conor did have a massive bump after the Siver fight in the US when he was introduced the American public tho. It was no coincidence they put that card in Boston, where there is a massive Boston-Irish population and put that card right after the Patriots game. UFC 178 sold like 200K PPV's, but after the Siver showcase then UFC 189 did 825K w/ a short notice replacement, UFC 194 did 1.2M and then Conor really, really took off, did millions no matter the opponent. I think the question now is did this Wilder Trilogy do the trick of properly introducing Fury to the American public as Conor did over 2015? If the trilogy broke the 1.2 million in the United States that the 2 fight did, Tyson may have broke thru to a new level.
You have to assume that the story and hype that the fight has received AFTER the fight helps as well.

After Tyson wolloped Wilder in the rematch and the excuses etc, I am sure a certain amount of people skipped the trilogy, but the fight got great press and so many people spoke well and posted about it. I personally know 2 people who missed the fight but went online to watch it on Sunday or Monday after hearing about it.

It really was a huge night for HW boxing.

Now we just need the public to recognize and respect Usyk. I assume he will beat AJ in the rematch, which will help. Then hopefully we get a Wilder vs Usyk fight maybe summer 2022.

You have to assume that the story and hype that the fight has received AFTER the fight helps as well.

After Tyson wolloped Wilder in the rematch and the excuses etc, I am sure a certain amount of people skipped the trilogy, but the fight got great press and so many people spike well and posted about it. I personally know 2 people who missed the fight but went online to watch it on Sunday or Monday after hearing about it.

It really was a huge night for HW boxing.

Now we just need the public to recognize and respect Usyk. I assume he will beat AJ in the rematch, which will help. Then hopefully we get a Wilder vs Usyk fight maybe summer 2022.
Yah, boxing is healthy about everywhere except for the US, and I think Fury Wilder III gave America an injection of boxing fever. On mainstream TV they are saying it was Thrilla In Manilla part II, "the greatest fight in decades", etc. It did for boxing what MayPac failed at, but that is why a healthy HW division is so important as it is exciting to the casuals.

Usyk may be a bit too much for the casuals to appreciate now, but he definitely deserves the recognition on skill. Possibly the Fury or Wilder fight will give him the boost needed. I remember years ago John Fury said Usyk was Tyson's most difficult challenge, and Tyson's new style may actually force Usyk to brawl and put on an appealing fight to the casuals. Jared Anderson also looks mad good and rumors are he was just as good as Tyson sparring. Shane Fury said he will be the future.

Back