Did the UFC make 125 males so 135 wasn't the lowest weight class?

nanika

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The 125 division seems a bit too extreme. Most people know males in the 135 range in every day life and it is not that uncommon. In the US at least, 125 is much rarer. This is a very small male human being.
I think they are making the 125 as a marketing tool for 135. This way 135 is not considered the smallest UFC weight class and kind of an outlier. They give this role to 125. This is good as 135 has great fighters and exciting fights. I have nothing against the smaller weight classes.

Do you guys agree they created 125 to make 135 and 145 seem more substantial and not at the extreme end of the UFC weight span?

They made it because they are trying to spread mma among countries like China and India where the people are naturally smaller so those weight classes are simply going to grow with all the potential

Asia and Mexico. They are trying to break into the markets and want a weight class that will be good for them.

They made it because they are trying to spread mma among countries like China and India where the people are naturally smaller so those weight classes are simply going to grow with all the potential

Amongst other things, yes. 125 means what, walking around at 140-150? Thats not hard for a lean guy at 5'5". I think its a good weight class. It is now however by far the weakest weight class with TJ beating Barao and opening up the division.

The UFC added a 125 lb division, they didn't make it. Flyweight existed prior to this addition, although very few promotions had the weight class, TPF being one of them.

I know this might be a shocker but none of the fighters weigh 135 or 125 except when they are dehydrated for the weigh-ins.
Flyweights walk around 140-150 lbs and in good shape, most BW walk at 160 lbs. Renan Barao walks at 170 lbs while being pretty ripped.

No. Malnourishment makes 125 pound males.

The 125 division seems a bit too extreme. Most people know males in the 135 range in every day life and it is not that uncommon. In the US at least, 125 is much rarer. This is a very small male human being.
I think they are making the 125 as a marketing tool for 135. This way 135 is not considered the smallest UFC weight class and kind of an outlier. They give this role to 125. This is good as 135 has great fighters and exciting fights. I have nothing against the smaller weight classes.

Do you guys agree they created 125 to make 135 and 145 seem more substantial and not at the extreme end of the UFC weight span?

no, they had TUF14 and realised Dodson was a potential star imo, and 125 is his natural class

The 125 division seems a bit too extreme. Most people know males in the 135 range in every day life and it is not that uncommon.

Do you work in horse racing?

Out of hundreds of co-workers and acquaintances I've known exactly 2 male adults in the last 30 years that were 5 1/2 feet tall.
(Neither of them was 135, but maybe the 150ish walk weight of a BW)

Out of hundreds of co-workers and acquaintances I've known exactly 2 male adults in the last 30 years that were 5 1/2 feet tall.

you've only ever met 2 men in the last 30 years that were under 5'6? I highly doubt that

I know this might be a shocker but none of the fighters weigh 135 or 125 except when they are dehydrated for the weigh-ins.
Flyweights walk around 140-150 lbs and in good shape, most BW walk at 160 lbs. Renan Barao walks at 170 lbs while being pretty ripped.

What people don't seem to get is that most IN SHAPE males are around the size of a 135LB-145LB fighter.

OP, the world isn't where you live. The average size of in shape males in latin america and asia is in the 125 range.

you've only ever met 2 men in the last 30 years that were under 5'6? I highly doubt that

Adult men. Yes.

And I said "out of hundreds of co-workers and acquaintances", not "millions and millions of people I've laid eyes on, like this guy in the beer line I walked past once or the guy at the car wash who towel dried my car".

I met Jens Pulver recently, (Who has fought at Fly) and he isn't unusually small.

He aint a big dude, but he certainly isn't one of the smallest guys you will see in a day.

Have you ever heard of the sport of boxing?

Read up on it a bit and get back to us.

If you knew boxing or watched any JMMA, you'd quickly notice a ton of guys can be in this weight class from other countries. Look at the flyweight ranking and the majority are asian.

What people don't seem to get is that most IN SHAPE males are around the size of a 135LB-145LB fighter.

I love how some people call featherweights midgets, and that the average sized dude would be a welterweight which is really, really stupid. Someone like Lawler is taller than the average dude and is way more muscular as well.

Absolutely. They are also working on the 115, and 95 males in the secret genetic engineering lab under Zuffa headquarters.

Lol wth? Sooo uh ulive in norway or sweden? all really tall ppl over there

Back