Did the PPV price increase, increase for bar owners too?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Meathead Jock, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Meathead Jock

Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Two of the bars that normally show the fights are not showing the Silva vs Diaz fight. 2 years ago we had 6 bars showing within 10 miles, now it looks like it is possibly only one or two (neither have committed to getting it yet).

It has me wondering if they got a price increase or if it is just individuals who order the PPVs that got the price increase. Any bar owners here?

2. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer Black Belt

I doubt it. The price for the bars went up a couple years ago and that didn't affect private PPV pricing. Just speculation here though.

3. Which Doctor

Which Doctor The ATT Heel Stable/Faction Belt

#mybusiness w/ Heenan, Bockwinkle, & Covington
    UFC is past it's prime.

4. Mattitude V1

Mattitude V1 WAR CONDIT

Decreased interest is probably responsible. UFC hasn't had a streak of fights with this level of interest in years.

5. GroundNPouter

GroundNPouter You Mad?

What's even more weird for me is that the theater near me showed hendricks vs Lawler but didn't show Cormier vs Jones and is now showing Diaz vs Silva

Weird as shit.

6. gevoudane

gevoudane ʇlǝq ʞɔɐlq

They went up awhile ago. 3 of the 5 local places have stopped showing them because of it.

7. JimmyJumper

JimmyJumper Blue Belt

Yeah, I had to skip out on DC vs Jones because of that, sucked. So much cheaper seeing it in theatres.

8. gameoverman

gameoverman Purple Belt

They increased it by a huge amount about 5 years ago...not sure about recently but that may have something to do with the decline in popularity of MMA.

Its pretty hard to find a bar showing the fights these days,they used to be on everywhere...

9. Meathead Jock

Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Still have never seen it this way. The only time I remember the local theater having it was for Diaz vs Condit, and the closest theater since then is about 2 hours away.

10. bearVSshark

bearVSshark Braf Zachland

Isn't the pricing for owners insane?

11. FallonFoxGOAT

FallonFoxGOAT Banned Banned

DC isn't a big name outside of hard core fans.

12. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

The prices doubled for bars about two years ago.

As far as I can tell (could be wrong), these are the prices

In U.S. $1500-$3000

Canada $2000-$4000

They would have to be stupid raising those prices considering interest is generally lower than a few years ago.

13. freelanzr

freelanzr Blue Belt

The owner of the bar I prefer to watch UFC at, told me he has to pay per screen in the bar, regardless of how many are actually showing the event.

14. CardonaLJ**

CardonaLJ** Banned Banned

my friend has two boxes set up in his bar. a residential and commercial.

take a guess on which box he orders it (if/when he decides to order it)

15. fastone

fastone Purple Belt

when the price went up here in Portland, the local bar and others in the area quit showing ppv's because they could not make a profit. We went from full bars and good times watching the fights to nothing.

Good job, UFC, good job. So many casual fans I used to watch with don't even care anymore.

16. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

Does he know that Zuffa hires people to drive around from bar to bar checking to see if they are showing the fights without paying? And that every bar that pays has a list of every bar that has paid so that they can rat out those who haven't. The fines can be huge.

17. metal7555

metal7555 Fan of MMA since '98

Bar owners cannot afford it because it's literally X amount per box or TV to show it on (legit) -- one around here used to show it, charged a cover of like $10 -- packed the place and it was losing money.

It fucking SUCKS for owners with the fees and the bullkshit involved.

Quite honestly, it fucking sucks for your average joe worker as well...

18. IDGETKTFO

IDGETKTFO White Belt Double Yellow Card

There has to be more then 50 people in a bar at once for this to even be an issue. Anything under 50 is considered private party.

19. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

I was a minority partner / investor in a bar that previously broadcast UFC and boxing fights. In our area - Philadelphia - the distribution is purchased via Joe Hand.

I cannot speak for other regions, but our fee was directly correlated to occupancy. You can have 50 TV's or 15, it matters not. Imagine how subjective that is considering you could simply have two massive screens. The legal occupancy of the venue is how the sliding fee scale worked.

Our occupancy was in the hundreds and the fee's were in the thousands (something like $1,500 - $2,500 is a normal range for most places) although my information is about three years old at this point.

Few interesting tidbits I can recall:

- It was against the rules to market 'free admission' or 'no cover' even if you did not charge a cover. This was forbidden.

- You get reminded about 100 times to report any other venue that is pirating the event.

- The distributor will provide a bunch of official artwork and promotional materials you can reproduce in various forms, and an equal number of rules on how you may use them.

- You still pay to purchase the PPV from your satellite or cable provider. The fee's to commercially broadcast don't include that, which I thought was ironic.

20. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer Black Belt

Something similar happened here. I don't get their methods with these shows in theaters. Like 5 showed Hendricks vs. Lawler, but two showed Cormier vs. Jones, and now 5 are showing Silva-Diaz.