Did the Gracies pioneer pulling guard as a transition from stand-up to the ground?

See my post above.

Fusen Ryu/Kosen Ryu:
'The school rose to fame again in 1891, when its headmaster Mataemon Tanabe defeated the Kodokan judoka Takisaburo Tobari in a challenge match. At the time, most jujutsu schools in Tokyo were losing place to the growing Kodokan, and the victory was shocking not only for coming from one of them, but also for how easily it happened thanks to Tanabe's personal advantage at newaza. The victory was followed by many others, and Tanabe capitalized on them to promote himself and his style by claiming his wins demonstrated the superiority of Fusen-ryū over judo and not any skill on his part.[6] "

. . .
Eventually his son Teruo and his most known apprentices, Taro Miyake and Yukio Tani, became members of the Kodokan"

Maeda was born in 1878 so likely would have been aware of the the Fusen Ryu style. And like I said, just through combat and fighting all sorts of opponents would have seen the ground/on your back game as useful.

maeda was defenetly quite verse on the ground, but that isnt the point, what I said is that helio "created", maeda was still mostly a kodokan judoka, so I dont think his jiu jitsu was focued on ground fighting... HElio did not create one single techinque, but what he did was an approach to fighting, even if there were people using the same strategy in some other place of the world, he wouldve hardly ever heard about it.

maeda was defenetly quite verse on the ground, but that isnt the point, what I said is that helio "created", maeda was still mostly a kodokan judoka, so I dont think his jiu jitsu was focued on ground fighting... HElio did not create one single techinque, but what he did was an approach to fighting, even if there were people using the same strategy in some other place of the world, he wouldve hardly ever heard about it.
I would say it's more that Helio preserved a style that existed at the time. And there's nothing wrong with that.

When Kimura observed Helio's style after Helio challenged him and was fighting another judoka, he noted that Helio was using an old style the Kosen/Fusen style.

Back