Did Sterling have a point about Magic Johnson?

While womanizing is certainly condemnable, when Magic came out with the announcement that he was gay views on HIV and AIDS were much different. It very well might have been the case that Magic didn't know what he was doing. Prior to Magic AIDS was still very much "just" a gay disease.

what

Magic is not gay, his son is though.

Jay Z got a pas for crack and stabbing

Again (and I didn't necessarily mean you) I meant from a society perspective.

So you dont like that a man famous for talking about stabbing people and selling crack stabbed someone and sold crack? Most people do not think rappers are good guys. It is expected that they are criminals. Drake catches shit for not being criminal all the time.

what

Magic is not gay, his son is though.
What does that have to do with my post?
Prior to Magic publicly revealing he had HIV, the public perception was still that HIV and AIDS were essentially restricted to the gay portion of the population or freak incidents with blood banks. Magic's revelation drastically changed the conversation about AIDS--for the better.

Tied to this the assertion that Magic knew what he was doing (i.e. putting women at risk of getting HIV) isn't necessarily the case. He, like most heterosexual males, likely didn't view HIV as a real risk and concern.

Prior to Magic publicly revealing he had HIV, the public perception was still that HIV and AIDS were essentially restricted to the gay portion of the population or freak incidents with blood banks. Magic's revelation drastically changed the conversation about AIDS--for the better.

Tied to this the assertion that Magic knew what he was doing (i.e. putting women at risk of getting HIV) isn't necessarily the case. He, like most heterosexual males, likely didn't view HIV as a real risk and concern.

exactly.

Oh wait, I see. I've no idea why I wrote that because I know that's not the case. Just meant "was positive, views on HIV and AIDS were much different."
My apologies.

1. come on man

2. Jay Z

3. maybe he feels he hasn't done anything wrong. Is it against the law to say you don't like black people?

1. did he knowingly spread HIV?

2. one case isn't enough to generalize about. but celebrities usually get a free pass no matter.

3. he hasn't broken any laws. but he behaved in such a way that a private company has moved to punish him. free speech only protects us from the govt and not private entities. thus why we can't say whatever we want here at SD

So you dont like that a man famous for talking about stabbing people and selling crack stabbed someone and sold crack? Most people do not think rappers are good guys. It is expected that they are criminals. Drake catches shit for not being criminal all the time.

did I say I didn't like him???

I said society forgave him, gives him a pass.

Just like magic passed shit on to others and society gives him a pass.

1. did he knowingly spread HIV?

2. one case isn't enough to generalize about. but celebrities usually get a free pass no matter.

3. he hasn't broken any laws. but he behaved in such a way that a private company has moved to punish him. free speech only protects us from the govt and not private entities. thus why we can't say whatever we want here at SD

1. It doesn't matter, his action lead to people dying!!!! There are dead bodies because of him. if I get drunk and kill someone, I didn't mean to kill them, bu they are still dead.

2. yes, and why do they get a pass, why doesn't society hold them accountable?

3.Right sterling didn't break any laws, and he sure as hell didn't kill anyone, but he is the most despised person in America right now.

None of this matters..

In the end what matters is if you wanna be a racist or bigot you should be able to in the privacy of your own home.. This is still America at the end of the day and its your private property, so if you are gonna have those negative traits you should be safe to say them In YOUR OWN F'N HOME.

While womanizing is certainly condemnable, when Magic came out with the announcement that he was gay views on HIV and AIDS were much different. It very well might have been the case that Magic didn't know what he was doing. Prior to Magic AIDS was still very much "just" a gay disease.

You said he came out gay, I was telling you he didn't, but his son is gay in case you were getting them mixed up.

1. It doesn't matter, his action lead to people dying!!!! There are dead bodies because of him. if I get drunk and kill someone, I didn't mean to kill them, bu they are still dead.

3.Right sterling didn't break any laws, and he sure as hell didn't kill anyone, but he is the most despised person in America right now.

I didn't know that Magic Johnson killed anyone? Is there a source for this? I'm not saying it isn't true, I was just unaware that "his actions lead to people dying".

Rappers are held to a different standard. Hell, they rap about selling crack....that's what people apparently want to hear. Target audience FTW. Substance abuse counselors are often former dealers/addicts. Should they not hold that profession?

You don't have to break a law to lose your job...

I didn't know that Magic Johnson killed anyone? Is there a source for this? I'm not saying it isn't true, I was just unaware that "his actions lead to people dying".

Rappers are held to a different standard. Hell, they rap about selling crack....that's what people apparently want to hear. Target audience FTW. Substance abuse counselors are often former dealers/addicts. Should they not hold that profession?

You don't have to break a law to lose your job...

well unless he caught hiv from the very last person he ever slept with, then numbers say, he more than likely lead to someones death.

the threadstarter does have a point when it comes to johnson. having unprotected sex with chicks you just met is plain retarded. as an adult, you have to know better. and if you catch something, and pass it along, you are the only person to blame.

as for sterling, he is a complete imbecile. not for being a racist. i think it's stupid to judge someone on that criteria. but i think he's a bigger imbecile, because it never makes sense to talk wrongly about people who make you your money, on principle alone. respect the people who allow you to live your lifestyle, to begin with.

Last edited:
well unless he caught hiv from the very last person he ever slept with, then numbers say, he more than likely lead to someones death.

That isn't true at all.
HIV transmission rates from male to female via vaginal intercourse is estimated to be about 8 in 10,000....or 0.08%.

1. this is pure speculation. you have no idea.

2. I have no idea

3. well, he's sort of a despicable person. he received the largest penalty judgment from a Justice Department lawsuit for housing discrimination in history. and then he said some hateful things. and then a week later he said some half-crazy and more or less hateful things. there are probably plenty of people more worthy of being despised, but he's high profile and he's been behaving stupidly. not sure why he didn't use some of his billions to hire and attorney and PR team to handle everything. which also makes him sort of stupid in that regard.

did I say I didn't like him???

I said society forgave him, gives him a pass.

Just like magic passed shit on to others and society gives him a pass.

people generally view people with a disease as victims. there is a considerable difference between spreading something accidentally (speculation) and being typhoid Mary.

the threadstarter does have a point when it comes to johnson. having unprotected sex with chicks you just met is plain retarded. as an adult, you have to know better. in if you catch something, and pass it along, you are the only person to blame.

Sure, we know that now. 1991 was a lot different. Magic probably contracted HIV in the late 80's or 1990.

Prior to Magic the assumption amongst the population at large was that only gays got AIDS (frankly a lot of people assumed Magic was gay for that very reason). Other STDs have never been of as much concern.

Of course Magic should have been worrying about having to support tons of kids like Kemp.

In the west male to female transmission rates are around 1 in 5000.

Back