did siver take connor down?

I wasn't being serious, I was actually making fun of the whole idea because of how ridiculous it is, but I guess your little brain is not able to comprehend it.

I mean based on the current rules you can literally, actually take someone down, but it doesn't "count" as a takedown because of made-up, invented, bullshit ideas. Lol

I think you were just wrong and a ton of people have called you out for being an idiot and now you're basically trying to say "haha guys I was only pretending to be retarded!!".

You still have no point, no matter how much you try to twist it.

If you go to slam someone on their head and they land on their feet by magic then no, not a takedown.

Oh so you can slam someone on their head and it doesn't count as a takedown? Thanks for letting me know, actually I just found this out about two minutes ago, pretty crazy if you ask me.

I think you were just wrong and a ton of people have called you out for being an idiot and now you're basically trying to say "haha guys I was only pretending to be retarded!!".

You still have no point, no matter how much you try to twist it.

My point was McGregor got taken down, and he did, and no amount of bullshit can ever change that fact.

When I said I wasn't being serious I meant in that one post where I was completely being sarcastic but you took it all seriously, I didn't mean my my entire argument wasn't serious. Try to keep up.

Conor has been taken down in his career before.

You don't think Frankie Edgar can take Conor down? Think again.

Oh so you can slam someone on their head and it doesn't count as a takedown? Thanks for letting me know, actually I just found this out about two minutes ago, pretty crazy if you ask me.

In wrestling rules you are required to establish control after the trip to be counted as a takedown.

I suspect MMA also scores similarly.

In wrestling rules you are required to establish control after the trip to be counted as a takedown.

I suspect MMA also scores similarly.

Ok, but that's actually just made-up bullshit that distracts from the fact that Conor was literally, actually taken down.

My point was McGregor got taken down, and he did, and no amount of bullshit can ever change that fact.

When I said I wasn't being serious I meant in that one post where I was completely being sarcastic, not my entire argument. Try to keep up.

You are making a thread on a board about the UFC and their specific rules and you are clearly, factually, wrong.

When people can't tell the difference from when you're being stupid or sarcastic, that your problem buddy, not ours.

As far as I can tell the unified rules aren't helpful - they refer to but don't define 'takedown'.
http://www.ufc.ca/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations#14

The MMA definition of a takedown is clearly different from that in wrestling. A double-leg, or even a dump against the cage, is referred to as a completed takedown by Mike and Joe the moment the defender's butt hits the mat, even if he gets up seconds later. Certainly there's no requirement for back contact with the mat - if a guy with back control lifts and drops you, and you land on all fours, you've been taken down.

The original poster should have asked something more specific - might have kept this thread from getting quite so 'internetty'. :p

Last edited:
You are making a thread on a board about the UFC and their specific rules and you are clearly, factually, wrong.

When people can't tell the difference from when you're being stupid or sarcastic, that your problem buddy, not ours.

What are you even talking about? This isn't my thread and now you're dragging this discussion into retard-land. You're the one who misunderstood at least two of my posts.

What are you even talking about? This isn't my thread and now you're dragging this discussion into retard-land. You're the one who misunderstood at least two of my posts.

No one understand your posts moron, you're blabbering about takedowns that didn't happen. Siver scored 0 takedowns in that match, what is so hard for you to get?

Ok, but that's actually just made-up bullshit that distracts from the fact that Conor was literally, actually taken down.

I don't think Wrestling Rules are "made up bullshit".

http://www.wvmat.com/overview.htm

I believe what people are saying is he did fall on the ground as a result of Siver's trip but the act of falling on the ground itself, in technical terms of a fight, not called a takedown. Establishing control is what constitutes complete action of a takedown.

Takedown means differently from what you think it means it seems.

The are successful trips, however trips scores no points in MMA as far as I know (although they are good moves to setup a takedown).

I counted no less than two takedowns for siver.

connor popped right back up, but I am sure I saw two.

am I wrong?

Do you count a TD if, as you say, he "popped right back up"?
Does it even matter if he pops up quickly? Hell, does it even matter if he turns his hips, pushes, and gets back up within 10 seconds? I guess it does to the judges...
In BJJ and wrestling, you don't get the points if you don't ESTABLISH the position.

There was one slip and one high kick where Siver dropped down and also popped back up.

I don't think Wrestling Rules are "made up bullshit".

Of course you don't. But that's really what they are.

I mean if someone just invented wrestling today, and they were like "ok so in order to take someone down, you can't just take them down, no, that would be far too simple, in order to take someone down you have to take them down in such a manner that their back has to be touching the ground, otherwise it doesn't count, you know, any other body part, like their butt, anything like that, flipping the opponent upside down, it doesn't count," if someone were to come in and say that they would be considered crazy, at least I hope they would, but I guess it's normal so it's accepted.

No one understand your posts moron, you're blabbering about takedowns that didn't happen. Siver scored 0 takedowns in that match, what is so hard for you to get?

I don't think I ever argued against that. I never said "Siver scored a takedown". I said Siver took Conor down. And he did. Why's it so hard for you to get that?

Nope. No real takedown. But he got in on him and put him on hit butt.... which is a bad sign for the delusional zyGOAT fans. Siver is underrated in wrestling, but he's also not elite.

When you introduce magic, so they magically land on their feet, then yes. In reality slamming them on their head they will end up on their back or stomach, and it will end up being a takedown. Picking someone up and trying to slam them, and failing, does not score a takedown, why would it?

By the way intentionally slamming them on their head is illegal and can not be done. Slamming them with incidentally hitting their head is alright.

As far as I can tell the unified rules aren't helpful - they refer to but don't define 'takedown'.
http://www.ufc.ca/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations#14

The MMA definition of a takedown is clearly different from that in wrestling. A double-leg, or even a dump against the cage, is referred to as a completed takedown by Mike and Joe the moment the defender's butt hits the mat, even if he gets up seconds later. Certainly there's no requirement for back contact with the mat - if a guy with back control lifts and drops you, and you land on all fours, you've been taken down.

From your link:

Code:
Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active threatening guard.

I'm not certain whether it is or not but I would suspect that the definition of takedowns in MMA is very similar to Wrestling in this statement, because it did specify "takedowns FROM standing position TO mount position", in other words to got to be able to get establish control, to be defined as takedown.

Code:
Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler's attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking, taking down an opponent to force a ground fight, creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.

Notice the key point there, the attempt need to be aim at "forcing a ground fight"

I will probably clear this with one of the MMA trainer at my gym when I go do kickboxing tomorrow just out of personal interest but I am reasonably confident that a trip is not consider a takedown.

Back