Did Rogan Mention That Barrao Had "Elite" Striking...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Tech Nine**, May 25, 2014.

1. Tech Nine**

Tech Nine** White Belt

Did Rogan say that about Barrao when talking about how no one saw TJ doing what he did in out striking Barrao?

Mayweather is an elite Boxer. Giorgio Petrosyan is an elite Kickboxer.

That word is being thrown around like caca in a psychiatric ward.

Barrao got caught with a lunging overhand right coming from a mile away because he was moving forward with his guard down. That is not elite by any means.

2. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

what is elite striking?

If you can't stop a takedown, are you really an elite striker? Isn't it implicit in the idea of being an "elite striker", that you can keep the fight standing.

Could you call someone who couldn't secure a takedown to save their life an elite ground fighter?

If you can't force the fight in the range in which you specialize, are you really an expert in that range at all?

3. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

They will say anything if they think it sounds good. I lol'd when they were talking about how Mizugaki and what's his face were undefeated in their last 10 combined fights. I was thinking "wtf kind of stat is that?" so I looked at their records and what's his face had a recent no-contest and Mizugaki was only on a 3 fight win streak. It didn't even add up to 10 wins.

4. Tech Nine**

Tech Nine** White Belt

No. That is an elite MMA fighter. Takedown defense is a wrestling component. That is separate from striking in itself.

5. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Couldn't disagree more.

The most important component of takedown defense is distance management, which is entirely a standup/boxing component. Wrestling teaches you nothing about proper distance management for defending a takedown in a fight.

What is the art of judo? Is judo the ability to throw someone in a judo match, or in a fight? If you can throw people in a judo match, but can't close the distance against a boxer, do you really have good judo? Isn't that the whole point of having good judo?

6. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    Barao is a good striker but can't handle aggressive fighters who pick there shots like tj did. Wibeland and MacDonald also gave barao issues

7. irish0331

irish0331 Blue Belt

Agreed.

A perfect example is Cyrille Diabate. He was an elite striker but had big struggles when he hit the mat. He lost almost all of his fights by submission, but was a maniac on his feet.

8. Seven30

Seven30 Brown Belt

What you're describing would be elite defense.

Aaron Pryor was an elite striker. But he pretty much had no defense. He fought with his head & chin up in the air, but it worked for him because his offense was his defense. Elite striking doesn't always go hand in hand with slick defense. Anderson Silva is an elite MMA striker. Machida is an MMA elite striker. They have both been knocked out. Elite strikers can & will get hit & knocked out. It goes with the territory of fighting for a living.

9. BobbyBuds

BobbyBuds Black Belt

haha I love this philosophy thread, good reads

10. irish0331

irish0331 Blue Belt

Solid post. Thank you.

11. Tech Nine**

Tech Nine** White Belt

You just want to argue semantics. Mayweather is an elite Boxer. Just because he cannot stop Bendo from taking him down does not mean he is not elite.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  12. Nuclearlandmine

Nuclearlandmine Shreddin' Double Yellow Card

Aaron Pryor? You kidding me right? He had an ugly style but telling people that he had no defense is just plain wrong. Elite strikers are not all defensive wizards, but they all know enough defense to strike. Guys that often called brawlers and punchers like George Foreman, Rocky Marciano and such all have underrated defense that allowed them to knock the other guy out.

13. Tech Nine**

Tech Nine** White Belt

I like how you add "MMA" behind elite. See that makes more sense.

GSP was an elite MMA wrestler. Does not mean he would defeat Division 1 wrestlers under Folkstyle rules.

Maybe that was what Joe Rogan meant by calling Barrao's striking elite with the "MMA" term added before it.

14. Jew Jif Shoes

Jew Jif Shoes Brown Belt

Not true.

15. Seven30

Seven30 Brown Belt

That may be what he meant & it probably would be a more appropriate way to describe striking in MMA. Not everyone considered an elite striker in MMA would be considered such in a "striking" discipline.

I disagree. I don't believe it's wrong at all. Maybe I shouldn't have said "no defense." But I didn't think that would be taken as literally meaning zero defense whatsoever. Pryor's offense was his defense. It wasn't an "ugly" style. I would describe it more as overwhelming. But he did many things defensively that would be considered wrong. & he got hit with shots that a slick defensive boxer wouldn't get hit with. But Aaron had a good chin, was willing to take one to give one & didn't have to worry about getting hit as often as most because of his swarming style. Of course, champions have enough defense to knock guys out. Otherwise, they wouldn't be champions. Having "underrated defense" doesn't equate to having good or great defense....it just means that it's better than many believe. But Pryor wasn't hard to hit. He was always in front of you with his head up in the air. What discouraged his opponents, was the punishment they received when they threw at Pryor. He was no defensive wizard at all. He was different from most elite boxers. One of the reasons that he's one of my all-time favorites. He was a fighter that could "break the rules" & make it serve to his advantage. So, I'll agree to disagree here.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  16. jerk

jerk Blue Belt

'Elite striking' in the context of...you know, actual complete fighting where you have to deal with a complex array of attacks. Not handicapped, watered down versions of fighting like boxing or kickboxing.

But even if you were to take the ground game out of the equation, Barao would destroy Mayweather in a pure striking match with ease. Nevermind what Dillashaw would do to him.

I am much more impressed by what Barao and Dillashaw can do than what any boxers or kickboxers can athletically and creatively. When we see high level MMA skill set (as we did with Dillashaw) it is clear that it is significantly more evolved, creative and sophisticated than these rock 'em sock 'em kick-punchers hiding behind their pillow gloves and watered down versions of 'fighting'.

Watch Mayweather/Maidana. Then watch Dillashaw/Barao. Then tell me about what constitutes being 'elite'.