Did Olympic wrestling's stock go down last night?

Wrestling was almost canned from the olympics already, who cares if it's junior, high school, colegiate.

im sure those oblique kicks to cormiers knees and body shots had no effect

I was very impressed and honestly expected Cormier to have a wrestling advantage but there is a big difference between the sport of wrestling and the sport of MMA.

Gus' stock went up hugely for me. Jones had unreal TDD against Cormier yet Gus managed to take him down fairly easily that time and stuffed much of Jon's takedown attempts.

Yeah, mma wrestling has some serious advantages over wrestling in the cage.

I think that Gus benefited a great deal from Jones bruising his foot early in that fight.
This is the actual reason his TDD looked so good that night and why Jones had an unusually difficult time taking him down.

When Gus got Jones to the ground, he seemed lost and wanted to get back to his feet as quickly as possible. I never saw Gus go for a single submission in that fight even though they presented themselves on several occasions.

Jones has dominated better competition since that fight than Gus has. Looking forward to the rematch just like everyone else to see if Gus was really that good or benefited from the early injury to Jon's foot.

Wrestling was almost canned from the olympics already, who cares if it's junior, high school, colegiate.

Well it was supposed to be the dominant thing that brought Jones to the point where he would be tko'd or submitted for the first time in his career. Since he had never had to deal with a wrestler of that caliber that had the power to knock out heavy weights.

ill tell you this, when i heard someone was an olympic wrestler i had major respect for them, but now I have as much respect for them as a state champ wrestler in terms of fighting since jones was only a college wrestler and he destroyed cormier

Jones was not just a college wrestler. He beat Div-1 guys right and left including Max Askren in the same year that Max Askren became the Div-1 national champion. Jones was national level but had left wrestling and didn't move on to Div-1.

Jones at tournaments beat starters from Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri including the NCAA Champion.

Folkstyle is better from MMA than Freestyle.

If Jones would have stayed in College he would have likely been a Div-1 champion since he already beat a very good one as a sophmore.

He very well could have made the Olympic team if he had not left wrestling but that would be in a rule set that is less MMA friendly.

it was overrated to start with. Matt lindland was a silver metalist...

this is a fight game, not wrestling match. Olympic level wrestling just means that you wrestle really good, doesnt mean you can take down a fighting opponent at will.

Where are a lot of Olympic Gold medalists in wrestling from countries that don't have folkstyle.

Bring them to a folkstyle national tournament and they will get tooled.

Freestyle wrestling is not the wrestling relied on by the top MMA guys with a wrestling background. The wrestlers who are champs in MMA had a folkstyle background.

Different sport.

Back