Did Olympic wrestling's stock go down last night?

Because Jones was punching him and kicking him on the way in and once Cormier got close was getting choked out? Gee did you watch the fucking fight?

So there was NO moment that Dan could have imposed his will?

That doesn't even sound right.

There weren't many moments, but there were moments where he had his chances.

Different sports in reality. Jones is an animal, Cormier is a great wrestler. The cage really plays a factor when it comes to wrestling in MMA

Different sports in reality. Jones is an animal, Cormier is a great wrestler. The cage really plays a factor when it comes to wrestling in MMA

So true, I wrestle in highschool and did some MMA training myself.

I think part of the issue (at least on sherdog) is that junior college is looked at as where any athlete can go after high school and still compete. Athletes may not go to a four year university for a variety of reasons...they don't have the academics, they don't have the money (scholarship pays tuition, not living expenses), their desired college may have a wrestling stud at their weight class that they don't want to wait behind, they may have family commitments, they may not be ready to travel far from home...it doesn't mean they can't compete at the next level.

In fact, let's look at the NFL...Aaron Rodgers, the 4x pro bowler, NFL MVP, and superbowl MVP started his college career at a community college. So did Cam Newton. NFL hall of famers OJ Simpson, Larry Allen, roger staubach, john randle, warren moon, and countless others all went to community colleges. Didn't stop them from being all time greats or competing with the best in the world.

Jones would get roasted at the Olympic trials. He wouldn't even make the team. However, Jones' MMA skills are incredible. He has learned to use his length to mix striking and grappling perfectly. Olympic wrestlers never had to worry about getting punched in the face or spinning elbows. Jones would be there worst nightmare in the octagon.

DC gassed last night. I thought those punches and knees to the body really slowed him down in the championship rounds. Jones had a brilliant 4th round, by taking down down DC and controlling the fight. Jones used his length masterfully to break Cormier's rhythm and frustrate him. He used his wrestling to catch Cormier off guard and took him down.

I would say Jones stock went up last night. DC was competitive and has nothing to be embarrassed about. He lost to perhaps the greatest fighter ever to step into the octagon.

He mainly got taken down off the cage, which is MMA specific. Also, he was gassed.

Jones would get roasted at the Olympic trials. He wouldn't even make the team. However, Jones' MMA skills are incredible. He has learned to use his length to mix striking and grappling perfectly. Olympic wrestlers never had to worry about getting punched in the face or spinning elbows. Jones would be there worst nightmare in the octagon.

DC gassed last night. I thought those punches and knees to the body really slowed him down in the championship rounds. Jones had a brilliant 4th round, by taking down down DC and controlling the fight. Jones used his length masterfully to break Cormier's rhythm and frustrate him. He used his wrestling to catch Cormier off guard and took him down.

I would say Jones stock went up last night. DC was competitive and has nothing to be embarrassed about. He lost to perhaps the greatest fighter ever to step into the octagon.

Do you think any wrestler that watched this fight expected DC to only get ONE take down in a five round title fight? Then not be able to keep Jones down.

Maybe...but I think they expected more.

A huge difference between olympic style wrestling and wrestling for MMA is the cage. It can make all the difference in the world in terms of pressure and leverage that fighters are able to utilize that just wouldn't be available without the cage.

Its not just the cage. Its the punches. The stances. The types of moves you can do to open you up for subs.

If anyone knew the early days of mma, jeff blatnik, dan severn etc had to adjust and learn that wrestlers were very susceptible to subs.

He mainly got taken down off the cage, which is MMA specific. Also, he was gassed.

Excellent point, probably the most significant detail regarding Dan being taken down as often as he was.

Dan was not supposed to gas with that extra long camp and training with Cain...

Yes, but it didn't lose nearly as much stock as DC's cardio.

Why would Olympic wrestling's stock go down because of last night? Last time I checked, Olympic wrestling doesn't allow punches, kicks, elbows, knees, submissions and doesn't take place in a cage.

Jon's clinch game was what impressed the hell out of me. The TD's were nothing. Not sure why everyone's shitting themselves over it. He got one off of a caught kick early, and got a couple where he ripped an exhausted DC's legs out from under him against the cage, all of which he popped right back up from. BFD.

At the end of the day, it's not that Olympic level wrestling or DC are bad...Jon Jones is just that damn good.

Hell, Matt Hughes nearly broke Royce Gracie's arm and only didn't out of respect. Doesn't mean Royce or BJJ are bad, but there is more to the mma thing than just one aspect...

Jones has better mma wrestling. It was clear before the fight started.

Its not just the cage. Its the punches. The stances. The types of moves you can do to open you up for subs.

If anyone knew the early days of mma, jeff blatnik, dan severn etc had to adjust and learn that wrestlers were very susceptible to subs.

Oh, I agree, there are tons of differences.

In my opinion, the cage makes the biggest difference though in terms of takedowns and takedown defense between amateur wrestling and wrestling-for-MMA. Obviously though there are a ton of differences.

Back