Did Olympic wrestling's stock go down last night?

Randy, Hendo and Mcmann haven't exactly done Olympic wrestling any favors either. Mcmann got subbed by Shayna Baszler ffs. [YT]nASGLbaZJ3Q[/YT]

Wow! Did not really consider that.

Thanks for uploading that video.

Only on Sherdog homie.

Jones was probably going to be a D1 national champ or All-American at Iowa State ( I believe) , but he got his girl pregnant, and turned pro instead. So, acting like he was just an average JC champ is great for an argument against Olympic credentials, it's not entirely accurate.

How do we know he was much more than an average JUCO Champ? Just saying, I knew he was a JUCO champ but the vast, vast majority of JUCO champs are generally not good enough at all to beat guys who are top 3 in NCAA Div 1 wrestling and not nearly good enough to make the Olympic team. How do we know that in college Jones was so much better than almost all other JUCO champs? I mean, I would believe it if he was like a multiple time JUCO champ who was undefeated for one or two years and won almost all of his bouts by pin, tech fall or majority decision. But I think we would have known about that by now. I just don't see a ton of proof that as am amateur wrestler Jones was at a point where he could have made the Olympic team and then gone on to place 4th or higher in the Olympics.

You don't get punched in the face, kicked in the gut, get threatened to get*choked out on a TD and get threatened to have your arm ripped off in wrestling. WTF is so hard to understand about this? DC is a better wrestler, Machida has better striking, etc. Jones is just more well rounded and that's what allows him to do what he does. He would lose to most of the wrestlers he's beaten in a straight up wrestling match and would lose to the strikers in a kick boxing match. Jones is just too well rounded...

Oh and eye pokes too.

Stupid question.

How many fighters with wrestling background can out wrestle Cormier?

The fighter that out wrestled him was not supposed to be anywhere near his level though...that is the scenario that raised the question.

No it didn't. What we learned last night was that Jon Jones is a better MMA wrestler than Daniel Cormier.

If according to your shit post, Junior College wrestlers were better than Olympic wrestlers, than the fucking college guys would be competing in the olympics over the olympic guys.

There's so much more to wrestling than just what we see in MMA. How many times did they go to the referee's position?

You don't get punched in the face, kicked in the gut, get threatened to get*choked out on a TD and get threatened to have your arm ripped off in wrestling. WTF is so hard to understand about this? DC is a better wrestler, Machida has better striking, etc. Jones is just more well rounded and that's what allows him to do what he does. He would lose to most of the wrestlers he's beaten in a straight up wrestling match and would lose to the strikers in a kick boxing match. Jones is just too well rounded...

Oh and eye pokes too.

I guess the question is...why couldn't Dan impose more of his will when it was time to wrestle?

With that said, do you think Cormier's performance lowered Olympic wresting's stock in the UFC last night?

No, not at all to anybody with intelligence or an understanding of MMA history. Olympic wrestling began being exposed in 1997 when Shamrock handled Jackson, and we've known for more than a decade that it's not good enough to win at the top level without other excellent skills to back it up.

A huge difference between olympic style wrestling and wrestling for MMA is the cage. It can make all the difference in the world in terms of pressure and leverage that fighters are able to utilize that just wouldn't be available without the cage.

There's so much more to wrestling than just what we see in MMA. How many times did they go to the referee's position?

Could you elaborate just a little...I am not a wrestler so I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say "referee's position".

No it didn't. What we learned last night was that Jon Jones is a better MMA wrestler than Daniel Cormier.

If according to your shit post, Junior College wrestlers were better than Olympic wrestlers, than the fucking college guys would be competing in the olympics over the olympic guys.

You are over thinking this. Don't most Olympic wrestlers have some college experience?

I guess the question is...why couldn't Dan impose more of his will when it was time to wrestle?

Because even when it was time to wrestle, it was still also time to bet punched, elbowed, kneed and kicked simultaneously. In that fight it was never time to just wrestle and worry about nothing else.

How do we know he was much more than an average JUCO Champ? Just saying, I knew he was a JUCO champ but the vast, vast majority of JUCO champs are generally not good enough at all to beat guys who are top 3 in NCAA Div 1 wrestling and not nearly good enough to make the Olympic team. How do we know that in college Jones was so much better than almost all other JUCO champs? I mean, I would believe it if he was like a multiple time JUCO champ who was undefeated for one or two years and won almost all of his bouts by pin, tech fall or majority decision. But I think we would have known about that by now. I just don't see a ton of proof that as am amateur wrestler Jones was at a point where he could have made the Olympic team and then gone on to place 4th or higher in the Olympics.

He went to one of the premier Juco college wrestling programs in the nation. Same place Cain did. They often competed against D1 programs in tournaments.

Moreover, there's nothing average about Jones. If he had went on to D1, there's no reason to think he wouldn't have been successful.

No, not at all to anybody with intelligence or an understanding of MMA history. Olympic wrestling began being exposed in 1997 when Shamrock handled Jackson, and we've known for more than a decade that it's not good enough to win at the top level without other excellent skills to back it up.

Good call. I remember the Olympic medalist Kevin Jackson being arm barred by Frank in like 14seconds.

But Coleman leveled the playing field a bit with his early successes in those open weight tournaments.

Because Jones was punching him and kicking him on the way in and once Cormier got close was getting choked out? Gee did you watch the fucking fight?

Because even when it was time to wrestle, it was still also time to bet punched, elbowed, kneed and kicked simultaneously. In that fight it was never time to just wrestle and worry about nothing else.

It sure seemed this way. Agreed.

Could you elaborate just a little...I am not a wrestler so I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say "referee's position".
12_13_07LgZackHagen.jpg

Good call. I remember the Olympic medalist Kevin Jackson being arm barred by Frank in like 14seconds.

But Coleman leveled the playing field a bit with his early successes in those open weight tournaments.

Jackson won a UFC tournament too.

I dont think so. There is no denying the DC is a fantastic wrestler, Jones is just that good, he is more work then everyone seems to think he's going to be, he uses he natural gifts (height, length, speed, athleticism) like a champ, and brings a whole bunch of other tools to the table as well.

Back