Did Olympic wrestling's stock go down last night?

One good thing about Sherdog forums, is the wealth of wrestling knowledge of those people who post on this site.

With that said, do you think Cormier's performance lowered Olympic wresting's stock in the UFC last night?

Many people were probably surprised at the Junior College wrestler getting more take downs on the Olympic wrestler than the other way around.

Only on Sherdog homie.

Jones was probably going to be a D1 national champ or All-American at Iowa State ( I believe) , but he got his girl pregnant, and turned pro instead. So, acting like he was just an average JC champ is great for an argument against Olympic credentials, it's not entirely accurate.

Lol I can't even...
You're a moron if you think this did anything to high level wrestling's "credibility."

1) MMA wrestling is not pure wrestling (as has been mentioned above).

2) An Olympic wrestling match is two 3-minute session. A collegiate match is three rounds, timed 3-2-2. No wrestler is trained to compete in a 25 minute bout.

3) Jones is no slouch as both a high school state champion and JUCO national champion. I won't say where I've from, but when I was wrestling in high school, probably the best high school prospect to come out of my state (a midwest powerhouse) went on to become a JUCO national champ after graduating before transferring to another college to finish out his career. Who knows where Jon Jones' wrestling career would have gone had he not dropped out to pursue his wrestling career.

4) Cormier lost for the first time against a guy who is widely regarded as the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

5) Among the Olympic athletes that perform well in mixed martial arts, I am hard pressed to think of any sports other than Judo who are even in the same league. Certainly not boxing or TKD.

I'd say you can still put your money on Olympic wrestlers being at the top of the food chain when it comes to MMA.

Basically this, and it shows you how good Jon Jones could have been had he wrestled at the D1 level and/or internationally. He could have been a world champion wrestler.

I don't know why last night's performance has to make Olympic wrestling look bad instead of just making Jones look that f'ing good.

He took a two-time Olympian with 100% TDD down three times.

It was very impressive.

No, Jones is a beast wrestler himself. He probably could have easily been an All American if he chose that route.

It's not like Cormier got outwrestled by Thiago Silva or something.

iirc Jones only took him down when Cormier was getting tired?

and anyone that's exhausted loses skill and technique. you should try kick and punch at maximum power when your tired, i betcha it wont be anywhere near the power when your fresh

Plus youre not getting punched and kicked in Wrestling. so Cormier would be Sore and exhausted.

You make a good point.

I was thinking that despite his prior success, he was unable to impose his will at all even though he assumed it would be easy to get Jon down and keep him down at will.

Do you think Dan would have been helped by having some judo in his arsenal rather than training with another Olympic wrestler as he did?

Minus the GI, every takedown which exists in judo is in wrestling, and DC was particularly good with upper body takedowns in wrestling anyway, not so much with the lower body stuff, relatively speaking.

Only on Sherdog homie.

Jones was probably going to be a D1 national champ or All-American at Iowa State ( I believe) , but he got his girl pregnant, and turned pro instead. So, acting like he was just an average JC champ is great for an argument against Olympic credentials, it's not entirely accurate.

Not saying Jon was average.

But imagine telling a Div 1 or Olympic wrestler that your are Junior College champion, the look on their face would be priceless...but after last night, not anymore! Respect!

Not really

Jones took down an exhausted fighter a few times.

The only legit takedown he had was off of catching a kick.

Also, DC's game plan was not to wrestle jones and conserve his energy. If DC really wanted to take Jones down, he could have, but he would have gassed even quicker than he did, as he would have had to be relentless to get jones down

Saying Jones out-wrestled DC is like saying Gus out-wrestled Jones

They just had different game planes

Minus the GI, every takedown which exists in judo is in wrestling, and DC was particularly good with upper body takedowns in wrestling anyway, not so much with the lower body stuff, relatively speaking.

With all that underhooking and clinching, it seems like the shorter guy could get that hip toss. Thought DC might have had some hip toss success.

Randy, Hendo and Mcmann haven't exactly done Olympic wrestling any favors either. Mcmann got subbed by Shayna Baszler ffs. [YT]nASGLbaZJ3Q[/YT]

Olympic wrestling's stock went down when it was removed from the Olympics.

I'm surprised this is getting so little attention.

Jones took down a 2x Olympic wrestler three times and Cormier was not able to return the favor.

He beat DC at his own game despite months of speculation that he'd have to rely on long range attacks to have any chance to win.

I WAS impressed by his performance (use GSP voice)

WHAT ? didn't DC slam Jones down once ?

This is a fucking mma fight not a wrestling match, Gus took Jones down. So Gus/Jones have the same wrestling.

I said it before, Jones lanky arms are definitely an advantage when you can clasp your hands around the opponents legs and pull, which Jones did

not really. wait till you see henry cejudo.

Not really

Jones took down an exhausted fighter a few times.

The only legit takedown he had was off of catching a kick.

Also, DC's game plan was not to wrestle jones and conserve his energy. If DC really wanted to take Jones down, he could have, but he would have gassed even quicker than he did, as he would have had to be relentless to get jones down

Saying Jones out-wrestled DC is like saying Gus out-wrestled Jones

They just had different game planes

From what I saw...Jones used body shots to change Dan's breathing, kicks to limit his forward movement and take downs to to surprise and frustrate Dan to the point that he (Dan) could not actually implement his game plan.

From what I saw...others may have a different take on it.

WHAT ? didn't DC slam Jones down once ?

This is a fucking mma fight not a wrestling match, Gus took Jones down. So Gus/Jones have the same wrestling.

I said it before, Jones lanky arms are definitely an advantage when you can clasp your hands around the opponents legs and pull, which Jones did

I think there was a lot of Cormier vs Bigfoot expected in this fight.

Stupid question.

How many fighters with wrestling background can out wrestle Cormier?

The conjecture that aging adversely affects athleticism and hence ability in sports has been strengthed by this result. Only on sherdog were people are so used to 40 year olds dominating the sport, which is only possible because MMA is populated by D-level athletes, are people ignorant of this fact.

MMA is a physical sport. 36 year olds are past it.

Back