Did Mike Tyson get dropped by a bodyshot to Holyfield because he was undertrained?

Yes

He was overconfident and past his prime

He opened as a 25-1 favorite against Holyfield ffs

Mike didn’t get dropped until he had sustained quite some damage. Evander certainly outlasted him.

Tyson lost badly throughout the fight but had a surge somewhere in the middle. It didn't last for long however. Should be noted that it wasn't as one sided at the Lewis fight.

I wouldn't say the pile of muscle that is Tyson was ever unconditioned. It's interesting though that you can find one of his coaches speaking to Rogan about as great as Tyson was and as much as he was a freak he flopped under pressure. He made the point that anytime someone one really challenged him and wasn't steamrolled by his power he failed under the pressure. That would explain the ear biting incident. It's better for your reputation to lose because you are crazy than losing because you couldn't handle the pressure.

Without being in Mike's head it's hard to say. But it's an interesting perspective

It's not true. Tyson had wars with Razor Ruddock, and two dangerous fights against Bruno

Surprised I'm first to post the gif...should have been ruled a push. Punch landed on his glove, when their feet were tied up.
Cpw7.gif

Well then that answers my question. He never was...

Tyson lost badly throughout the fight but had a surge somewhere in the middle. It didn't last for long however. Should be noted that it wasn't as one sided at the Lewis fight.

It was definitely more competitive than the Lewis fight.

I read Holyfields book and he raved about how hard of a worker and how tough Mike was.

Mike ate some huge punches that fight both to the body and head and it was a standing TKO. Tyson had brass balls and a big heart

However, when rating Tyson you must realize That Spinks, Ruddock and Holmes failed or didn't fight against the other early 90's heavyweight stars. Tony Tucker gave Mike a run for his money 9-6- on my card
Tyson ducked a fight with Lewis in the 90's. He ducked a fight with George Foreman albeit he prbly would of won that.
He got completely destroyed by Buster Douglas. Tyson won 2 rounds in my book.
He gave up in the rematch with Holyfield. The bite was becuase he didn't want to fight any more

He was better before jail, but he did get his ass kicked before Jail and then that guy got destroyed by Holyfield.

So obviously, Holyfield is ahead of him.

I read Holyfields book and he raved about how hard of a worker and how tough Mike was.

Mike ate some huge punches that fight both to the body and head and it was a standing TKO. Tyson had brass balls and a big heart

However, when rating Tyson you must realize That Spinks, Ruddock and Holmes failed or didn't fight against the other early 90's heavyweight stars. Tony Tucker gave Mike a run for his money 9-6- on my card
Tyson ducked a fight with Lewis in the 90's. He ducked a fight with George Foreman albeit he prbly would of won that.
He got completely destroyed by Buster Douglas. Tyson won 2 rounds in my book.
He gave up in the rematch with Holyfield. The bite was becuase he didn't want to fight any more

He was better before jail, but he did get his ass kicked before Jail and then that guy got destroyed by Holyfield.

So obviously, Holyfield is ahead of him.
Douglas was not in shape for the Holyfield fight

Holyfield looked very normal when he couldn't headbutt his way to a victory. Fat James Toney clowned him. Holyfield was protected because he was from the U.S. and a heavyweight. The first fight with Lennox was a clear indication of that. I am not even convinced he would have beat Tyson if the ref had locked down on headbutting.

Wrong... all three judges gave Tyson three or four of the first 5 rounds.

Last edited:
when you talk about lesser fighters in riddick bowe, you have less than no idea. bowe had more potential than nearly any heavyweight, ever. he lacked dedication.

This is utter bullshit and a complete myth invented by Eddie Futch and Rock Newman to sell the product.

Outside of his Holyfield win, and Holyfield was a very small HW at the time, he doesnt have another notable name on his resume, he beat guys who had already been beaten by other fighters in better fashion, or guys who went on to do very little.

Someone uploaded the entire broadcast... It's interesting how heavily Tyson was favored. Manny Steward predicted that Mike would wreck Evander inside of 3 rounds..

This is utter bullshit and a complete myth invented by Eddie Futch and Rock Newman to sell the product.

Outside of his Holyfield win, and Holyfield was a very small HW at the time, he doesnt have another notable name on his resume, he beat guys who had already been beaten by other fighters in better fashion, or guys who went on to do very little.

Well, a win over Holyfield is more than any win you never had.

Some fuckers here are funny. Tyson gets shit for allegedly not beating anyone, and any time he fought someone (like Holyfield), they say he got his ass kicked... Bowe on the other hand beats Holyfield and gets shit for allegedly not beating anyone else.

The idiocy is strong in this one.

Well, a win over Holyfield is more than any win you never had.

Some fuckers here are funny. Tyson gets shit for allegedly not beating anyone, and any time he fought someone (like Holyfield), they say he got his ass kicked... Bowe on the other hand beats Holyfield and gets shit for allegedly not beating anyone else.

The idiocy is strong in this one.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, have i ever beaten a world class heavyweight boxer...no...that is true for every mother fucker on this website, so that is a really stupid thing to say.

And then go on to generalise me with other people, because you once read that someone didnt like Mike Tyson's record, i must think the same thing....you are the idiot in this thread i'm afraid

You get hit in the body with the right shot and anyone will go down.

Nobody could question Arturo Gatti's heart and toughness and even he went down off a body shot.

Back