Did Mike Tyson get dropped by a bodyshot to Holyfield because he was undertrained?

You've had an account for 17 years. Only posted 370 times.
Why this thread?

Well, I'm more of a reader than a writer, but I've been following this forum regularly for all those 17 years, (I enjoy it a lot, even with all the bitching), posting once a while when I think I can add something to the discussion, though I can be wrong, which is apparently what happened this time, seeing the replies I got!

Why this thread, well it involves Tyson, that was a big icon by my time, when a teenager, watching his fights, and having suffered seeing him fade and decade and get defeated, fighting like a shadow of his prime.

You'll understand as you get older with time, we tend to look at the past a bit.;)

Btw, didn't Douglas drop Tyson with a body shot as well (not the winning knockdown).

Douglas punched VERY hard in that, though. You could hear it all the way to the tube.

No, Tyson got dropped once against Douglas

I wouldn't say the pile of muscle that is Tyson was ever unconditioned. It's interesting though that you can find one of his coaches speaking to Rogan about as great as Tyson was and as much as he was a freak he flopped under pressure. He made the point that anytime someone one really challenged him and wasn't steamrolled by his power he failed under the pressure. That would explain the ear biting incident. It's better for your reputation to lose because you are crazy than losing because you couldn't handle the pressure.

Without being in Mike's head it's hard to say. But it's an interesting perspective

He made the point that anytime someone one really challenged him and wasn't steamrolled by his power he failed under the pressure.

Ruddock and Tucker both challenged him, as well as a few others.

He didn't exactly flop against Douglas and Holyfield... he kept fighting as long as anyone could have.

Only after the first Holyfield loss did he become a fighter that looked for a way out.

Holyfield was not a particularly hard puncher. He had to take massive amounts steroids to even make the weight.

I am glad someone else thinks this, too.

Holyfield had some all time great wins. Fought everyone he could. Of all the HW's, he fought most of his opponent's close to their primes (Lewis, for example, did not fight Tyson or Holyfield anywhere near their primes). Holyfield also was a very well-rounded boxer that could really put combos together. Solid jab, all time chin.

The more I am writing this, the more I am liking him.

But he really might have cheated. Fuck. "Evan Fields", are you goddamn kidding me? He didn't get officially busted, but the evidence does not look promising. It makes me wonder about Holyfield's career, and his on and off performances.

I wouldn't say the pile of muscle that is Tyson was ever unconditioned. It's interesting though that you can find one of his coaches speaking to Rogan about as great as Tyson was and as much as he was a freak he flopped under pressure. He made the point that anytime someone one really challenged him and wasn't steamrolled by his power he failed under the pressure. That would explain the ear biting incident. It's better for your reputation to lose because you are crazy than losing because you couldn't handle the pressure.

Without being in Mike's head it's hard to say. But it's an interesting perspective
This is False. Not sure why people keep repeating it. Tyson didn't fold under pressure, he really only quit in his last fights. He bit Holyfield because of Holyfield dirty shit. He didn't quit when people fought back, that's a myth. He got himself;f out of shape wayyy before the Douglas fight and never trained or got in shape like he was when he unified the titles. I don't remember Tyson EVER getting dropped by a body shot. If so, someone post that gif

This is False. Not sure why people keep repeating it. Tyson didn't fold under pressure, he really only quit in his last fights. He bit Holyfield because of Holyfield dirty shit. He didn't quit when people fought back, that's a myth. He got himself;f out of shape wayyy before the Douglas fight and never trained or got in shape like he was when he unified the titles. I don't remember Tyson EVER getting dropped by a body shot. If so, someone post that gif

Surprised I'm first to post the gif...should have been ruled a push. Punch landed on his glove, when their feet were tied up.
Cpw7.gif

He bit Tyson because he was on the way to getting KO'd a second time

this, he was a bully

Only after the first Holyfield loss did he become a fighter that looked for a way out.

Seriously, have you actually ever seen the Lewis fight, Tyson could have died in that fight....if that is a fighter looking for a way out....then i dont know what to tell you

Holyfield was juiced.
Tyson was a coke addict.
Holyfield wouldn’t last 2 rounds vs ‘88 Iron Mike

Exactly

Determined, non-addict, well trained Mike would never have let Holyfield anywhere near his liver or spleen

He was getting beaten up, which greatly helps to get dropped.

Concidering the lesser fighers who beat Holyfield several times (Bowe in particular), you might be right.. Not in 2 rounds though. Holyfield had a very sturdy chin.
when you talk about lesser fighters in riddick bowe, you have less than no idea. bowe had more potential than nearly any heavyweight, ever. he lacked dedication.

Exactly

Determined, non-addict, well trained Mike would never have let Holyfield anywhere near his liver or spleen
holyfield was a flat out superior boxer to tyson. he read the book on tyson until it was his bible and went to work.

Not really, fight was pretty even going into the 6th. The beating didn't start until later in the fight.

Mike didn’t get dropped until he had sustained quite some damage. Evander certainly outlasted him.

I am not saying Tyson would have won if he wasnt partying or had Don King and his men in his corner but would have been better prepared mentally and physically. You think Tyson was pushing himself in those camps? not a chance

Back