Did Lynyrd Skynyrd invent the rap feud?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Obviously they're not a rap group, but as you know a big part of selling music in the rap world is to feud with another rapper, often writing lines, verses, or even entire songs dissing your rival.

Sweet Home Alabama just came on the radio and it got me wondering if Skynyrd was the first band to do that?

Here's the verse from the song where they call out Neil Young:

"Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow"

Can you think of any instances of a musician actually talking crap about a rival musician in their songs, that occurred before 1973, which is the year "Sweet Home Alabama" came out?

Beethoven called out Mozart in 1764

Beethoven called out Mozart in 1764
Well here's part of the lyrics from Beethoven's 9th translated. I guess you could make an argument that it's about Mozart.

Whoever has created
An abiding friendship,
Or has won
A true and loving wife,
All who can call at least one soul theirs,
Join our song of praise;
But those who cannot must creep tearfully
Away from our circle.

Was this his way of saying to Mozart, "Nobody loves you, go cry about it"

Last edited:
Obviously they're not a rap group, but as you know a big part of selling music in the rap world is to feud with another rapper, often writing lines, verses, or even entire songs dissing your rival.

Sweet Home Alabama just came on the radio and it got me wondering if Skynyrd was the first band to do that?

Can you think of any instances of a musician actually talking crap about a rival musician in their songs, that occurred before 1973, which is the year "Sweet Home Alabama" came out?
Paul McCartney and John Lennon have them beat. Paul dropped a John dis track called "Too Many People" in 1971. Lennon returned the favor later that year with a Paul dis track of his own called "How Do You Sleep?"

Billy Joel shit all over everyone in the late 1980's. He blamed all the worlds problems on about 200 different people including British Beatlemania

Dolly Parton called Kenny Rogers a simp-ass n____a if you listen closely to "Islands in the Stream."

I also enjoy when people say, "Technically Debbie Harry was the first rapper."

Dolly Parton called Kenny Rogers a simp-ass n____a if you listen closely to "Islands in the Stream."

I also enjoy when people say, "Technically Debbie Harry was the first rapper."
which is completely wrong because "I get around" by the Beach Boys is 100% a rap song and was out well before debbie harry's song

Sad_Darryl_Shedding_a_Single_Tear_On_The_Office.gif

Adam's son Cain dropped a diss track about his brother Abel before he killed him.

Skynyrd and Young didn't have a problem with each other.

• But the ultimate irony of "Sweet Home Alabama" is that for so many, the song's implied put down of Neil Young was NOT meant as criticism but as support of Young's anti-racism. Thus, for those who think it's so clever to put down Neil Young using the phrase "Hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow" little do they realize that they have the meaning backwards. Every day, someone blogs or tweetsthe "Neil Young putdown" without comprehending that they've actually praised him. (Or even make implied death threats (note caption).) Similarly, with the State of Alabama using the phrase "Sweet Home Alabama" as an official slogan on license plates, one truly has to wonder what they were thinking the song was about.

Somewhere, Ronnie is still having a good laugh at Alabama officials and Neil Young bashers. Such is the duality of the southern thing.

God dissed the dark by creating light...

Ed King the guy who co wrote that song and came up with that guitar riff just died last week.

• But the ultimate irony of "Sweet Home Alabama" is that for so many, the song's implied put down of Neil Young was NOT meant as criticism but as support of Young's anti-racism. Thus, for those who think it's so clever to put down Neil Young using the phrase "Hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow" little do they realize that they have the meaning backwards. Every day, someone blogs or tweetsthe "Neil Young putdown" without comprehending that they've actually praised him. (Or even make implied death threats (note caption).) Similarly, with the State of Alabama using the phrase "Sweet Home Alabama" as an official slogan on license plates, one truly has to wonder what they were thinking the song was about.

Somewhere, Ronnie is still having a good laugh at Alabama officials and Neil Young bashers. Such is the duality of the southern thing.
How the fuck is that lyric praising Neil Young? I don't see any way that someone could interpret it that way.

Sounds like maybe they were backpedaling a bit when people started asking them if they support racism in the South, because that's what Neil Young was criticizing.

I have no doubt that when they wrote that lyric, they were intending to "diss" Neil.

I just watched a Skynyrd documentary and a couple of the band members talked about how Van Zant was pissed about Young's song "Southern Man" and included the "rap feud" in the song.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/neilyoung/southernman.html

Paul McCartney and John Lennon have them beat. Paul dropped a John dis track called "Too Many People" in 1971. Lennon returned the favor later that year with a Paul dis track of his own called "How Do You Sleep?"

Can you explain the meaning behind the songs? Can't check it out at the moment. Enlighten me fellow Sherdogger.

Back