Did Latifi even throw a punch in standup

Imagine not being able to dish out any significant offense against a "white belt" who you had on the ground for the better part of 7 minutes.
Are you trying to argue that derrick lewis is good on the ground in any way? Aside from being massive and strong he is helpless on his back.

Understand how terrifying it must be as a small LHW to go up HW to fight the biggest HW in the game, notorious for his KO power. I don't blame him at all. UFC didn't do him any favors making this his fight HW fight.

Fight was trash, should go down as an L for both guys. Best move of the fight was latifi throwing that big mfker tho.

It's not mixed martial standing punches. Latifi won the fight pretty clearly. Was boring as heck, but him losing only put more emphasis on how bad the judging was.

Are you trying to argue that derrick lewis is good on the ground in any way? Aside from being massive and strong he is helpless on his back.
So Tybura a BJJ black belt, Roy Nelson, Ivanov a Sambo world champion and Latifi a ADCC 2003 European gold medalist all had Lewis down for extended periods of time and are all very skilled on the ground but couldn't get the finish.... Using your strength in the right moments may not look pretty but if it works against more technical guys he's certainly not showing white belt level skill.

So Tybura a BJJ black belt, Roy Nelson, Ivanov a Sambo world champion and Latifi a ADCC 2003 European gold medalist all had Lewis down for extended periods of time and are all very skilled on the ground but couldn't get the finish.... Using your strength in the right moments may not look pretty but if it works against more technical guys he's certainly not showing white belt level skill.
Hes a tall strong and powerful 300 lb white belt

Hes a tall strong and powerful 300 lb white belt
No, I'm 145lb. I can tap out big dudes 260lb guys without much struggle.

Lewis knows what he's doing, he's not white belt level. Imagine saying BJ Penn is white belt because he uses his flexibility that nobody else has and it looks stupid?
Lewis is using what he has and it's getting BJJ black belts off of him. He's throwing other HW's off of him, that takes more skill and timing than I think you realize.

Latifi is another guy on the Bob Sapp tour

Along with Gus and JDS

Imagine not being able to dish out any significant offense against a "white belt" who you had on the ground for the better part of 7 minutes.

I was yelling at the TV for him to punch/elbow, but he wasn't listening to me.

derrick lewis is literally the biggest heavyweight and this was ilir's first fight in the division, i can imagine anyone doing poorly in this situation.

Lewis has terrible TDD compared to the other fighters in the top 10. This wasn't a good sign for his future at heavyweight.

I had no doubt Lewis won. Latifi took the 2nd in boring fashion, but he did take it because his takedown(s) were the only significant action. Round 3, Latifi did nothing with his takedowns then spent the final 20-30seconds running scared trying desperately not to be KO'd. The goal is to finish your opponent, Lewis was trying to finish him from start to finish - 20-30seconds of raw aggression defeats a couple of non-entity takedowns, every time. If Latifi had actually tried to finish on the mat, I'd have given him the fight, even if Lewis finished the fight the way he did.

I thought ilir won That fight. He canceled anything BB had going for him self

I'm arguing that he's both better than you're giving him credit for and Latifi's didn't do as well as you think.

I'm seeing a pattern of fdul dull fights Lewis is in. I do not know why people are excited to see him fight still.

Back