Did Khabib deserve a loss vs Gleison Tibau?

10-9 Khabib
10-9 Tibau
10-9 Tibau
29-28 Tibau is the only score that makes sense. You could argue the 2nd round was 10-10 which would be a 29-29 draw.

Even Khabib was visibly shocked at getting a 30-27 on all scorecards.

30-27 Khabib. Two of the rounds were close.

He did what he had to do to win. I never had a problem with the decision and I probably watched the fight a dozen times. Gleison had that "fighting not to lose" style and Khabib was pressing the action. You don't really gain the judges favor by only stuffing takedowns.

Haven't watched the fight for a few years though honestly.
Yea this is how I saw it as well. Neither guy did much, but Khabib was the one on the offensive.

The fight was so close I wouldn't have had a problem with the decision either way

Yeah, he lost.

Didn't get any takedowns, got taken down down twice and was outstruck.

Look at Khabibs reaction when they call the winner. He LEGITIMATELY was surprised

Failed attacks are scored higher than thwarted takedown attempts. Defense doesn't/shouldn't score any points.

If a guy shoots 100 times and the other guy defends 100 times the guy defending doesn't get the win. He didn't do anything offensively just reacted to what his opponent did. His opponent dictated everything that happened in the fight.

not sure I agree with that....if a guy throws 5 punches at floyd mayweather and he slip all the punches; you're saying the guy throwing the punches deserves more credit or points for simply throwing the punches...I don't agree...It takes more skill to dodge and slip those punches than to simply throw them..anyone can throw a punch, but it takes skill to slip it or dodge it.

At the very least, neither should get more points than the other...if you throw a strike or go for a takedown, that alone shouldn't score you any points, unless it lands...unless you get the guy down or land that strike, no points should be given...attempts shouldn't be given points.

Last edited:
not sure I agree with that....if a guy throws 5 punches at floyd mayweather and he slip all the punches; you're saying the guy throwing the punches deserves more credit or points for simply throwing the punches...I don't agree...It takes more skill to dodge and slip those punches than to simply throw them..anyone can throw a punch, but it takes skill to slip it or dodge it.

At the very least, neither should get more points than the other...if you throw a strike or go for a takedown, that alone shouldn't score you any points, unless it lands...unless you get the guy down or land that strike, no points should be given...attempts shouldn't be given points.
That's technically the difference between boxing and MMA judging criteria, boxing awards defense and MMA awards octagon/control/aggression. One could argue this is a result of the difference in a ring with corners and a cage with no corners as you can endlessly run away in a big cage but you can cut off angles in a ring much easier.

This is why people argue about judging, because they don't understand the underlying criteria in the first place. A real discussion about the judging would go down the list and argue the specific values for each criteria for each round.

I think khabib won but the fight was so uneventful and with nothing really significant happening during the fight i see how people thought thibau won. Its like khabib won all 3 rounds but it was in that famous raphael assuncao sort of fashion where he won but is almost closer to a draw then a typical win

Here's the proof: they are beholden to using the official scoring criteria by competition rules. If the judges score the fight based on their feefees like your "analysts" do, the fighters can appeal their decisions and damage the judge reputations. They have an obligation to score the fights based on the official ruleset. Your "MMA analysts" are beholden to nothing, the only obligation they have is to write some good clickbait. Their decisions cannot be appealed or challenged in court. This is why their decisions are as relevant as sherdog shitposts.

Is that why we have so many split decisions?

Watch the fight. No.

No. He was the aggressor throughout the fight but nothing happened. Tibua had his back against the cage for most it. As such Khabib won. Unfortunately Joe Rogan seemed to think Tibau just stopping takedowns was enough to win. It was a dull fight.

Who cares Tibau got caught cheating like two times after USADA came in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back