Did judges get worse during the pandemic?

El Panteron

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm a noob (watching since 2017) but ever since arenas got silent I've noticed a drop in quality of decisions.

There are nights like this one that are totally disastrous and judges fuck up multiple times, but they used to be less frequent as far as I remember.

It's always been this way, just getting more publicity now.

Didn't watch the whole WMMA fight, no opinion there.
Dillashaw-Sandhagen was 2:2 before the fifth round (in my book), the fifth was pretty even, Sandhagen landed the better punches, but TJ was the aggressor and hugged him for several minutes. The latter shouldn't win you a round, but Sandhagen showed zero urgency and fought as if the fight is clear 3:1 in his favor. I was absolutely sure the fight is gonna be a split after the fifth.
Paiva... how someone thinks he didn't win the fight? He got smacked in the first, which wasn't a 10:8 for me (because Paiva got back in it in the last minute), then soundly beat Phillips in the second and also won the third. Phillips gassed hard after the first and did literally nothing besides several sloppy takedown attempts.

I thought Phillips vs Paiva and TJ vs SALThagen were the proper decisions… I honestly can’t opine on the WMMA fight because I didn’t watch it.

Regardless of the knockdowns Phillips was forced back and also took damage in Round 1, it wasn’t a 10-8. Then Paiva clearly won rounds 2&3.

Also lol @ SALThagen winning the TJ fight… outside of causing the early cut he was forced to retreat by a one-legged 5’5 fighter coming off a layoff… he gave away the fight. 4-1 TJ.

It's always been this way, just getting more publicity now.

It's always been bad but it wasn't entire cards getting fucked up, it was one fight being bad and then on to the next.
This last 2 years you get some cards that are just insane it their entirety.

But maybe it's me changing as a viewer.

It's not bad judging, it's corruption. You know how much money can be made gambling on fights? There has always been corruption in combat sports and it happened again Saturday night.

Judging has always been... inconsistent.
The fact nothing ever happens to any judge that gets it completely wrong only helps continue this way.

but look into fights like Jon Jones & Gustafson (1st fight), Machida & Rua (1st fight) or GSP & Hendricks.
Those are the biggest ones, but just a taste to show you that it is not new.

They have always sucked in combat sports...

Dana: "These fawkin' judges, right? Shit!"

*backstage*

"Great job, guys! Here are your bonuses. Now next week we need these guys to win..."

It's selective memory/confirmation bias.

You believe judging wasn't this consistently bad before the lockdowns, and you seem to "confirm" that idea in your head by examples of bad judging you can pick out in the period under discussion. But if you zoom out from this period, you can see that the observation is flawed and there isn't a strong pattern there.

It’s the same as always. However, parity is much more abundant in the matchups. There is a lot more nuance in general as well. I won’t excuse poor judging, but fights are much closer now, overall.

I thought Phillips vs Paiva and TJ vs SALThagen were the proper decisions… I honestly can’t opine on the WMMA fight because I didn’t watch it.

Regardless of the knockdowns Phillips was forced back and also took damage in Round 1, it wasn’t a 10-8. Then Paiva clearly won rounds 2&3.

Also lol @ SALThagen winning the TJ fight… outside of causing the early cut he was forced to retreat by a one-legged 5’5 fighter coming off a layoff… he gave away the fight. 4-1 TJ.
Stop watching MMA right now, Don't ever try and judge a fight yourself, and PLEASE don't ever comment here ever again.

That Barber fight was a fuckin robbery. What a shame

My guy won, meaning I’m right. Learn the fight game and come back to me.

<MikeP1>
LMAO your guy? Your guy is Paiva and Dillashaw?! LOL. Checks out. At least thanks for admitting bias and basically acknowledging that you don't know shit.

If you think today has bad judges, look back at Cecil Peoples, that guy was p4p worst judge.

Back