Did Jones train as much as he should this time ?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by xupacabra, Sep 24, 2013.

1. xupacabra

xupacabra Brown Belt

In a post-fight interview, he said something like:

"That he needs to train harder next time"

He did say it, right ?

OK so, does that mean he didn't train as much as he should for this last fight ?

We all have seen Jones' photo some months ago, where he looked really out of shape..

Did he underestimated Gus big time ? Did he train as much as he should this time ? Anyone knows ?

I find also his pre-fight entrance communication (the non-verbal) with Greg as very awkward.. Like Jones was pissed off about Greg there.. But it's only my personal feeling, I can't read their minds ofc..

2. bambaladam

bambaladam Blue Belt

Yeah he wasn't motivated, and his toe, and he won, and other bullshit.

3. Break Brick

Break Brick Black Belt

If he didn't then it's not a valid excuse as it's something (some would argue the only thing) that he directly controls. If you lose a fight because you didn't train enough, then it's on you.

4. kmasonbx

kmasonbx Brown Belt

You can really take nothing from that quote. He had a tough fight, and made a statement that fighters make a ton to insinuate that they can do something to make a rematch look different. It would be silly that he'd underestimate Gus but not Vitor or Sonnen.

5. bingowings123

bingowings123 Green Belt

He just means that Gus took him to another level and that he needs to train even harder than he normally does.

6. Shonuff1980**

Shonuff1980** Purple Belt

He was referring to doing many promotional showings for the UFC during his training camp, meaning he wasn't able to train as often as he should have

7. shertard74

shertard74 Green Belt

He just means that he realized his big man tactics don't work on other big dudes. Now he actually needs to train amd use 'skills'

8. Shonuff1980**

Shonuff1980** Purple Belt

So you're saying Jon beat Machida, Rampage, Shogun, Rashad, etc. EASILY, then had an amazing fight and close win over Gus, but it's all based on size, he doesn't have skill, and needs to train 'skills'? That's fucking retarded. He has some of the best MMA wrestling there is, and is an extremely skilled fighter. Although seeing as Stefan Struve is also and undefeated HW champ, you're probably right, there's and obvious correlation between size and dominance, not skill and dominance......oh wait....Struve....isn't.....but he's tall and big with a huge reach...hmmmm.

9. waitndbleed

waitndbleed White Belt

He didn't seem to bad IMO, Gus is a great striker so its not shocking he would have difficulty with him. Also i am shocked he didnt try to use more greco wrestling(which IMO hes best at) instead of shooting in. I don't remember did he even try any standing sweeps or just the double?

10. jthatdude

jthatdude Brown Belt

I think he was referring to his wrestling and boxing, training more in one area than evenly in all areas.

11. bambaladam

bambaladam Blue Belt

He was trying to clinch for the first couple of rounds and lost heart (in that specific regard, he showed plenty heart in the fight overall) after being evaded and brushed off. He never got to try a sweep because he couldn't initiate a proper clinch on a faster guy with better footwork.

I agree he is a clinch wrestler first and foremost btw. Good gameplan for Gus to shut that aspect down. Good adapting by Jones.

12. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

That's what a gathered as well, I think his next opponent is fucked

13. justblaze717

justblaze717 Silver Belt

I agree I don't think he trained like he should have for this fight.

14. SCIRCA

SCIRCA King of Kings

I doubt that. Considering him seeing two champions lose their titles in a row. And he had the lhw record on the horizon.

15. 1strikeclothing

1strikeclothing Silver Belt

I believe Jones trains at 110% when he trains.

His toe may have sidelined him for a bit but he is a hard worker once he goes into camp.

16. MisterFists

MisterFists Brown Belt

This.

Nothing controversial whatsoever. It was a compliment to Alex more than anything.

17. Stoners**

Stoners** Orange Belt

I don't think Jon has a second job.

18. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Red Belt

I don't think he ever trains all that hard honestly. he mentioned how he didnt train bjj after the vitor fight

19. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

He trained more kickboxing since he wanted to prove a point and claimed Gus had a lot of holes in his stand up, and said that might have been a mistake. How much difference it would have made is hard to say, but
    it's pretty safe to say his team will change the approach til next fight.
    Imo what almost lost him the fight, except for better timing in his takedown attempts, was a lack of a jab and straight, which Gus is pretty open to when he attacks.

20. LongTermLurker

LongTermLurker "Et tu, Brute?" Platinum Member

I agree with those saying he meant it as a complement to Gus. Simply, he needs to be even better.