Did Jones train as much as he should this time ?

xupacabra

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
In a post-fight interview, he said something like:

"That he needs to train harder next time"

He did say it, right ?

OK so, does that mean he didn't train as much as he should for this last fight ?

We all have seen Jones' photo some months ago, where he looked really out of shape..

Did he underestimated Gus big time ? Did he train as much as he should this time ? Anyone knows ?

I find also his pre-fight entrance communication (the non-verbal) with Greg as very awkward.. Like Jones was pissed off about Greg there.. But it's only my personal feeling, I can't read their minds ofc..

Yeah he wasn't motivated, and his toe, and he won, and other bullshit.

If he didn't then it's not a valid excuse as it's something (some would argue the only thing) that he directly controls. If you lose a fight because you didn't train enough, then it's on you.

You can really take nothing from that quote. He had a tough fight, and made a statement that fighters make a ton to insinuate that they can do something to make a rematch look different. It would be silly that he'd underestimate Gus but not Vitor or Sonnen.

He just means that Gus took him to another level and that he needs to train even harder than he normally does.

He was referring to doing many promotional showings for the UFC during his training camp, meaning he wasn't able to train as often as he should have

He just means that he realized his big man tactics don't work on other big dudes. Now he actually needs to train amd use 'skills'

He just means that he realized his big man tactics don't work on other big dudes. Now he actually needs to train amd use 'skills'

So you're saying Jon beat Machida, Rampage, Shogun, Rashad, etc. EASILY, then had an amazing fight and close win over Gus, but it's all based on size, he doesn't have skill, and needs to train 'skills'? That's fucking retarded. He has some of the best MMA wrestling there is, and is an extremely skilled fighter. Although seeing as Stefan Struve is also and undefeated HW champ, you're probably right, there's and obvious correlation between size and dominance, not skill and dominance......oh wait....Struve....isn't.....but he's tall and big with a huge reach...hmmmm.

He didn't seem to bad IMO, Gus is a great striker so its not shocking he would have difficulty with him. Also i am shocked he didnt try to use more greco wrestling(which IMO hes best at) instead of shooting in. I don't remember did he even try any standing sweeps or just the double?

I think he was referring to his wrestling and boxing, training more in one area than evenly in all areas.

He didn't seem to bad IMO, Gus is a great striker so its not shocking he would have difficulty with him. Also i am shocked he didnt try to use more greco wrestling(which IMO hes best at) instead of shooting in. I don't remember did he even try any standing sweeps or just the double?

He was trying to clinch for the first couple of rounds and lost heart (in that specific regard, he showed plenty heart in the fight overall) after being evaded and brushed off. He never got to try a sweep because he couldn't initiate a proper clinch on a faster guy with better footwork.

I agree he is a clinch wrestler first and foremost btw. Good gameplan for Gus to shut that aspect down. Good adapting by Jones.

I agree I don't think he trained like he should have for this fight.

I doubt that. Considering him seeing two champions lose their titles in a row. And he had the lhw record on the horizon.

I believe Jones trains at 110% when he trains.

His toe may have sidelined him for a bit but he is a hard worker once he goes into camp.

I don't think he ever trains all that hard honestly. he mentioned how he didnt train bjj after the vitor fight

He trained more kickboxing since he wanted to prove a point and claimed Gus had a lot of holes in his stand up, and said that might have been a mistake. How much difference it would have made is hard to say, but
it's pretty safe to say his team will change the approach til next fight.
Imo what almost lost him the fight, except for better timing in his takedown attempts, was a lack of a jab and straight, which Gus is pretty open to when he attacks.

I agree with those saying he meant it as a complement to Gus. Simply, he needs to be even better.

Back