Did Jones really go to Brazil and Russia within 2 months of a fight?

Snowfist

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I am sorry to revisit the life of Jones as these forums have been saturated with talk of him as of late. But amidst all the conversation, I read that Jon had gone to Brazil just over a month out from the Cormier fight. I also read he went to Russia a month out from the Gus fight.

Firstly I want to know if this is true?

Secondly I want to know if these aforementioned trips were discussed publicly prior to Jones actually taking them?

Thirdly I want to know how many days he went for and with whom?

Fourthly I want to know if anyone here has some insight on to why a fighter would take such a trip in the midst of their training camp? Is this a new strategy to take a short mental break? Is this a lack of discipline? Is this to do with promotion? or is it perhaps something more sinister? Something along the lines of test dodging..

Jones beat his coke habit in 24 hours. He's the youngest UFC champion in history and he is breaking all the records

I really hope the Braves don't suck this year.

Jones beat his coke habit in 24 hours. He's the youngest UFC champion in history and he is breaking all the records

Well that's off the topic of the thread but good for him. Did they surgically install a nose guard with a semi-permeable membrane?

1. yes
2. no. Jones doesnt report his every move to reporters, as much as people would like him to. Maybe you can hire some paparazzi to get some photos.
3. No. See question 2.
4. Because he felt like it? He likes vacations, mentioned it in the post-Sonnen fight. I like how most of the reason you mentioned are negatives though, good on you.

Minowa used to travel all over the world to train and probably party for fights. Bas always used to love to list the places the Super Hluk champ trained before each of his fights.

I am sorry to revisit the life of Jones as these forums have been saturated with talk of him as of late. But amidst all the conversation, I read that Jon had gone to Brazil just over a month out from the Cormier fight. I also read he went to Russia a month out from the Gus fight.

Firstly I want to know if this is true?

Secondly I want to know if these aforementioned trips were discussed publicly prior to Jones actually taking them?

Thirdly I want to know how many days he went for and with whom?

Fourthly I want to know if anyone here has some insight on to why a fighter would take such a trip in the midst of their training camp? Is this a new strategy to take a short mental break? Is this a lack of discipline? Is this to do with promotion? or is it perhaps something more sinister? Something along the lines of test dodging..

Firstly, why wouldnt it be?
Secondly, WTF? Was there a big discussion about DC going to Disneyland before the fight? Is there a big discussion about what the fighters do in their personal lives normally!? The reason for the russia trip is one google search away (hint: search terms 'steroids' 'PEDs' 'antichrist' won't bring you any further)

And then I really want to know what goes on in your mind that you think Jon Jones or anybody really owes you an explanation about who they do what with and when...

1. yes
2. no. Jones doesnt report his every move to reporters, as much as people would like him to. Maybe you can hire some paparazzi to get some photos.
3. No. See question 2.
4. Because he felt like it? He likes vacations, mentioned it in the post-Sonnen fight. I like how most of the reason you mentioned are negatives though, good on you.

Thanks. However, exactly half the hypothetical reasons for leaving in the midst of a training camp are negative. Half of them are positive.

Now that I know it's true I just want to gain some insight on to whether or not this sort of trip taking in the midst of a camp is a new trend being embraced by other fighters? Or is Jones alone in this?

Did he train at all while he was down there?

The funny part is people thinking Greg would allow him to travel around when he has a big fight

But...

Didn't he go to Russia with Mir and some other guys to support Crocop? That's where the Hallway Mir meme happened?

It's probably something even more sinister than test dodging.

Personally, my money is on some sort of human trafficking plot.

Bones Jones is a big baller shot caller. Once he embraces the bad boy image people will finally accept him.

Firstly, why wouldnt it be?
Secondly, WTF? Was there a big discussion about DC going to Disneyland before the fight? Is there a big discussion about what the fighters do in their personal lives normally!?

And then I really want to know what goes on in your mind that you think Jon Jones or anybody really owes you an explanation about who they do what with and when...

Firstly because there were a multitude of rumors regarding Jones following UFC 182. I wanted to know whether this was simply a rumor or a verified fact.

The rumors involving Jones were of multiple affairs, performance enhancing drugs, hiding under a cage to avoid a drug test, and more. So it shouldn't be ludicrous to think that I might be confused as to the facts in the aftermath of UFC 182. I don't have all day to be on here.

Have you ever watched a countdown show? It is interesting to me to see the various training methods and practices of different fighters leading up to a fight. Because Jones opts to take these trips in close proximity to his fight they are interesting to me. I want to understand why he does something that alters his camp. I don't think that's an entirely personal subject unrelated to the fight that transpired between Jones and Cormier.

I have never heard of a fighter taking a spontaneous international break in the midst of a training camp. Seeing as how training camps are meticulously planned out by fighters and trainers, and Jones has done this sort of short trip twice now, I am wondering if this is perhaps strategical or becoming common practice?

It was my understanding that fighters tend to remain focused on their upcoming fights and don't skip workouts, seeing as Jones is arguably the pound for pound number one right now I think it's realistic to take anything abnormal he does into consideration. Perhaps its something that adds to his game?

As a person who loves to travel I can't really fathom taking a trip from the US to Brazil for three days. The long flight and jet lag alone would frustrate me and then I would have to go home. How about you guys?

The funny part is people thinking Greg would allow him to travel around when he has a big fight

But...

I would love to see Greg interviewed in regards to these mini trips. I do believe he is very innovative and a diligent planner. Based on my perception of his methods I am shocked that he would endorse such a move.

However, I suspect he must have endorsed it considering coaches are authoritative figures and even a prodigy as arrogant as Jones wouldn't think to disregard his coaches blatantly, and leave the country for three days.

Thats just what they told the testing agency while he was hiding under the cage at the gym

It will be great fun to see if he is really mentally distracted when it is time to fight the winner of Rumble Gus. If Gus wins that then damn is he gonna be coming into their rematch with a vengeance.

Thanks. However, exactly half the hypothetical reasons for leaving in the midst of a training camp are negative. Half of them are positive.

Now that I know it's true I just want to gain some insight on to whether or not this sort of trip taking in the midst of a camp is a new trend being embraced by other fighters? Or is Jones alone in this?

Did he train at all while he was down there?

Dont know? see question 2

It's probably something even more sinister than test dodging.

Personally, my money is on some sort of human trafficking plot.

Personally, I am pretty sure Jones is actually Bin Laden. They are both tall, Coincidence!?!?!?!?

I think not.

Back