Did Jake Paul revive boxing serious discussion.

He's not actually too bad. I expected him to look typically muscle bound but he's moderately fluid. He does have some issues keeping his hands up which could be bad habit but it's also typical of guys who put on too much muscle for boxing, (too much internal rotation of the shoulders due to over developed chest and lats). Plus he has some decent leg flexibility.
I mean, he’s purposely putting on the weight to play Hulk Hogan in a movie, right?

I’m too old and out of touch to answer this question. I never heard of the guy, so clearly it’s not my peer group he’s attracting.
I am likely older then you an follow boxing an MMA and he's constantly being brought up. People like Bisbing, Mike Tyson and tons of others. He's hardly without discussion ether positive or negative.

I am likely older then you an follow boxing an MMA and he's constantly being brought up. People like Bisbing, Mike Tyson and tons of others. He's hardly without discussion ether positive or negative.

I meant that I had never heard of him before the boxing match. He’s been discussed lately, but that’s because he was on the undercard of a Mike Tyson fight, matched up against a celebrity athlete.

Im not convinced he has brought very many new boxing fans to the table. Freak show fights and celebrity matches have always been a thing, I don’t think what we are seeing right now will really have any meaningful impact on the sport. It seems more like a bunch of kids who like celebrity matches, and a bunch of celebrities looking to capitalize (Bisping, Askren, etc).

I dont think he revived boxing at all thats giving him credit for nothing because he hasn't accomplished anything in the sport he fought 2 non boxers that should have been labeled exhibitions. It was like watching Anthony Joshua's first pro fights they were insulting to watch because his opponents were absolute trash. Both Paul's cant hang with real pros but hopefully some of the people who tune in for these circus fights will mature into some real boxing fans and support real fighters.

Ryan Garcia and Jake (slightly) has pulled myself from the UFC for at least a little Maybe I'm a fanman or something Nothing seems all that compelling to me in the UFC right now except for maybe Kattar v Holloway

Haven't checked the UFC boards in over week n half
I'm way more submerged in the drama of boxing's 135ers

I'll take jake Paul seriously when he fights an actual boxer. The opponent doesn't have to be good to start of with but someone who has trained a few years and has some experience.

He's not actually too bad. I expected him to look typically muscle bound but he's moderately fluid. He does have some issues keeping his hands up which could be bad habit but it's also typical of guys who put on too much muscle for boxing, (too much internal rotation of the shoulders due to over developed chest and lats). Plus he has some decent leg flexibility.

I reckon he hasn’t got his hands up because most of his experience will be on the pads/on a bag, and not sparring.

Yeah he looks like a bodybuilder, he’s fckin huge, but he has decent hand speed and he’s not as stiff as he should be. good front kick as well. Not too impressed with his roundhouse though

I reckon he hasn’t got his hands up because most of his experience will be on the pads/on a bag, and not sparring.

Yeah he looks like a bodybuilder, he’s fckin huge, but he has decent hand speed and he’s not as stiff as he should be. good front kick as well. Not too impressed with his roundhouse though
Yeah could well be that. Nothing like some sparring to figure out quickly what your defensive flaws are. And yeah his round house looked strained as if he was too stiff in the hips.

He didn't revive boxing by any means but there's no denying the Paul bro's in general have gotten a younger fanbase to tune in that wouldn't have otherwise if it weren't for them competing in the sport. I'm for it, the more fans the better. I don't care how they get into the sport as long as they have a chance to fall in love w/ the sport that we all love and end up actually watching high level prizefights and staying around after these Paul bro's are done w/ the sport.

I’m too old and out of touch to answer this question. I never heard of the guy, so clearly it’s not my peer group he’s attracting.
Despite being in his 20s, the group he attracts is tweens, as far as I can tell

Despite being in his 20s, the group he attracts is tweens, as far as I can tell

That's the impression I get. So the question is, are any of these kids going to start ordering Canelo fights? Or are they going to tune in when there's a freakshow fight, and ignore the rest of the legitimate sport?

Funny that the more i hear about these Paul brothers the more disinterested I get. They smell of reality show. All the gear, no idea.

That's the impression I get. So the question is, are any of these kids going to start ordering Canelo fights? Or are they going to tune in when there's a freakshow fight, and ignore the rest of the legitimate sport?
Yeah, I guess a few must eventually get brought into boxing, even if it's a very small percentage of that initial audience they attract. I agree with you that I don't think it's a significant number. Maybe if one of these youtuber guys was sacrificed to some legitimate boxing prospect trying to break through into the mainstream then it might be different.

Jake has definitely helped it. It’s become more interesting.

Back