Did Jack Hermansson back himself into a corner?

Gerald Meerschaert's not bad actually, should've won his last fight, and Leites is extremely difficult to finish and Hermansson did it with a bad rib.

EDIT: And neither of them are Euro.

Don't bother with this goofball he will just discredit Jacks record and completely ignore Cannonier's.

a bottom of the barrell troll.

I’ve got no problem with this matchup.
No reason to rush contenders. Let him get som wins and ring time.

I’ve got no problem with this matchup.
No reason to rush contenders. Let him get som wins and ring time.

But jack was on the fast track to a TS had he fought Kelvin and won, why take a step back and risk losing that just to be on this card?

Being a huge Hermansson fan currently my favorite fighter at the moment actually. I wonder if he backed himself into a corner by pushing so hard for the Denmark card! If rumors are true he will now have to fight Jared Cannonier who is ranked 5 spots below him. Seems like a big step back when he has so much momentum going forward right now.

Most people where expecting Jack vs Kelvin and imo that's the fight that makes the most sense. So the question is should Jack not have been so focused on this particular card and just waited a bit longer for Kelvin to be ready?

I'll be pulling for him either way War Jack.
Jack dont care he just want to fight in scandinavia. Ill tell him how much you love him next time i see him

Either way he'd probably be 2 wins from a title shot. Winner here fights Costa - Romero winner.

Jack was never gonna get Whittaker, Yoel or Israel.
Kelvin was the only guy ranked above him that he could've got.

And saying he "has to fight the guy 5 spots below him" sounds worse than it is. Cause consider that 2 of those guys between Jack and Cannonier weren't even options. He already beat Jacare, and Costa is booked.

The only other guys he could've fought were Weidman or Brunson.

But who knows if they'd even be more valuable wins than Cannonier?
Brunson is coming from 2 straights losses followed by that boring Theodorou fight. (Not his fault, but still)
Weidman is a guy who'd people argue was done if he loses badly one more time.

He's lucky he didn't get an unknown name like #10 Heinisch

now he’s the next “world beater” too good for guys like Cannonier.
I agree. He jumped up to #4 really fast so it doesn't seem outrageous at all that he'd fight a step down.

The dude beat a couple of 40 year olds on their way out
I'd agree that Branch and Jacare are not such mingblowing wins that Jack deserves some special treatment and should never have to fight anyone below his ranking.

But why do you de-value Jacare so quickly? He beat Weidman and Brunson a year ago.

Who else could Jack have beaten that would've been more impressive than Jacare?
Except Yoel and Kelvin.
(Heck, are even they imminue? If Yoel loses his next fight I bet he'd also be instantly de-valued because he's past 40)

Weidman? People are already arguing he's done.
Israel? Imagine if Kelvin vs Israel hadn't been booked. Instead Jack would've beaten Israel. Then people would've argued Israel was just a hype job
Costa? If he loses again he'd be seen as a derailed hype train too
Brunson? Coming off 2 losses and the boring Theodouro fight

Last edited:
>Big Step back

The dude beat a couple of 40 year olds on their way out and now he’s the next “world beater” too good for guys like Cannonier.

I think people are just SHOOK that Cannonier is a dangerous match up for Hermansson and is going to EXPOSE him before his 15 minutes of fame are up.

<seedat>
do you like anyone?

I think He's fighting for the title next regardless of whether or not he faces the 9th ranked or 3rd ranked guy in Denmark. Another win over any ranked guy should put him in line for a crack at the belt

Last edited:
Jack was never gonna get Whittaker, Yoel or Israel.
Kelvin was the only guy ranked above him that he could've got.

And saying he "has to fight the guy 5 spots below him" sounds worse than it is. Cause consider that 2 of those guys between Jack and Cannonier weren't even options. He already beat Jacare, and Costa is booked.

The only other guys he could've fought were Weidman or Brunson.

But who knows if they'd even be more valuable wins than Cannonier?
Brunson is coming from 2 straights losses followed by that boring Theodorou fight. (Not his fault, but still)
Weidman is a guy who'd people argue was done if he loses badly one more time.

He's lucky he didn't get an unknown name like #10 Heinisch

You make some very fair points here about availability but beating Kelvin would up his stock significantly more than beating Jared..and would secure the title shot. imo

I agree. He jumped up to #4 really fast so it doesn't seem outrageous at all that he'd fight a step down.

I'd agree that Branch and Jacare are not such breathtaking wins that Jack deserves some special treatment and shouldn't have to accept fights with lower ranked opponents.

But I think it's sad when guys like Jacare are de-valued so quickly as soon as they get a loss when they're old. He beat Weidman and Brunson a year ago.

Sometimes it seems on sherdog that barely anyone is considered a good win anymore.
If an up and coming fighter loses - they are a derailed hype-train, if a veteran loses it's because they are on a skid.

He was at #5 but they took Rockhold out which bumped him up to #4

That's the easiest way for people here to talk up their fighters by completely devaluing their opponents. Is normal on Sherdog.

Beating Jacare is as top notch a win as you can get get minus a title fight. imo

I think He's fighting for the title next regardless of whether or not he faces the 9th ranked or 3rd ranked guy in Denmark. Another win over any ranked guy should put him in line for a crack at the belt

I dunno the winner of Yoel vs Romero could slide in. People love to see them big shiny muscles..That's why Jack should have waited for Kelvin. Really secure that spot..

I dunno the winner of Yoel vs Romero could slide in. people love to see them big shiny muscles..That's why Jack should have waited for Kelvin. Really secure that spot..

I guess, but I can't see Yoel getting yet another title shot after missing weight in his last two and losing. And Costa doesn't even have a single top ten win yet as far as I know...

beating Kelvin would up his stock significantly more than beat Jared
Very true. Kelvin was the best available win for him by a landslide.

If he had managed to dominate Kelvin, one could argue Jack would have a stronger record than Israel.
Maybe he'd even become the "true no1 contender" in many people's eyes.
Especially if Romero looked bad against Costa.

Very true. Kelvin was the best available win for him by a landslide.
If he would've beat up Kelvin badly, you could argue Jack has a stronger record than Israel.
And if Romero vs Costa had both guys looking kinda bad - that could've made Jack the "true no1 contender" in many people's eyes

That was the whole point of my thread though! Should Jack just have waited? Kelvin would have been ready a month later..

I don't think this fight has been made official yet so maybe that scrap still goes down.

Cactus Jack has a gas tank and willingness to take chances. That alone makes him dangerous.

Being a huge Hermansson fan currently my favorite fighter at the moment actually. I wonder if he backed himself into a corner by pushing so hard for the Denmark card! If rumors are true he will now have to fight Jared Cannonier who is ranked 5 spots below him. Seems like a big step back when he has so much momentum going forward right now.

Most people where expecting Jack vs Kelvin and imo that's the fight that makes the most sense. So the question is should Jack not have been so focused on this particular card and just waited a bit longer for Kelvin to be ready?

I'll be pulling for him either way War Jack.

Sometimes you gotta shoot your shot. He wants to fight at home and get that headliner money, good for him.

Back