Rumored Did Israel’s stock drop slightly after this weekend?

Gastelum vs Israel and Gastelum vs Till was two different fights. One where the two fighters were fighting for a championship, both engaging and trying to take each other's heads off.

The other, two fighters coming off of losses, tentative as fuck. Hardly engaging at all. Israel is just fine, coming off of a win over the former champ, whom he finished. Something Romero couldn't do, on two different occasions.

1) Gastelum has CTE now from last fight
2) Till had a lot of recent footage on Gas to gameplan with
3) Izzy had a bad night. If they fought again Izzy picks him apart.

I dont know why stupid people insist on MMAMathing us to death.

Nope.

MMA Math is stupid.

Till did great haters :p

I mean to be fair Till has never really done "badly" standing against anyone bar the actual finishing punch Woodley and Masividal landed so I think that was always the main danger from Kev rather than losing a decision bar the screwy judging last night.

Till and Israel though are very different fighters though IMHO, Israel isn't really a Till/Machida/Thompson like fighter who controls distance to avoid any aggressive exchanges and picks out one off counters. He does control distance of course and makes opponents have to reach for their first shot BUT he actually wants aggressive exchanges, look at the fights with Kev and Whittaker and were did he hurt them? most of the time it was via countering a shot in a sloppy combo they were throwing.

Not to take this too literal or seriously, but Israel went life and death with Kelvin Gas. He pulled away in the 5th and leaving with damage on his face.

Darren Till effectively shut Kelvin down with his length.

And then you got Edmen Shahbazyan who melts Brad Tavares in the 1st round while Izzy went the full 5 rounds with the Hawaiian.

A lil bit of MMAth, but thoughts?

Styles make fights. Israel came to bang with Kelvin, that's what he does. Look at the Whitaker fight as well, everytime Rob wanted to throw hammers in the pocket Izzy came right back at him with the same aggression. He did that with Kelvin as well, but Kelvin was catching him.

Till fought an extremely clean and technical fight. Any time Kelvin got close he engaged him in the clinch. Not sure how anybody could have scored that fight for Kelvin let alone a 30-27.

Not to take this too literal or seriously, but Israel went life and death with Kelvin Gas. He pulled away in the 5th and leaving with damage on his face.

And then you got Edmen Shahbazyan who melts Brad Tavares in the 1st round while Izzy went the full 5 rounds with the Hawaiian.

You should make a thread like this about GSP.
GSP went 5 rounds with such fighter, but other guys wrecked him in mere seconds....

The fanboys will come after you hard.

If Israel’s stock dropped slightly, then Bobby Knuckles stock completely tanked.
But we all love talking about MMA math & the stock market, so therefore Cannonier's stock went up.
Cannonier +20

No way he's legit.

But lets see him vs Homero rather than the hematch

No way at all. Till executed an excellent strategy to neutralize Gastelum. But nobody really got beat up in that fight. Israel went toe to toe with Gastelum, where Gastelum is most dangerous, for 5 rounds and was trying to kill him and almost did. Also the world found out more about Gastelum and how good he was in that loss to Israel than any of his wins.

Till did what he should have and needed to do and props to him for it. But most, including his own team assumed if he were to go toe to toe with Gastelum as he did against Masvidal and a few others, then Kelvin would have the dangerous edge. The strategy he used against Gastelum would not work against a guy like Israel who can match his footwork and has the length on him. Also, had Israel used that strategy to beat Kelvin or anyone else, most people would be calling him a boring point fighter and shit on him.

As far as the Tavares fight goes, that was a 5 round one sided ass whooping. Wasn't much more you could ask for. Brad ate some huge shots and would not stay down. Just because he didn't KO him doesn't mean that he didn't show that he was in a different class. Everyone talks about Robs long lay off but Brad has been away for a bit longer yet no one talks about ring rust for him. Otherwise, very impressive performance by the kid. It looks like at his age things are only looking up but there are plenty of killers to test where he is. We will see. He is 10 years younger than our Champ. Crazy!!!

I don't think it hurt Isad's stock, but it generated a whole lot of confusion. I don't know what to make of the MW rankings right now.

These comparisons really aren't helpful in determining how good fighter A and fighter B are. When the Izzy KG fight happend, I thought he might not be good enough for Rob, yet he completely outclassed him on that night. I think we should focus on what Adesanya has done in his fights in order to assess how he does, not how others have done versus his opponents. Every fighter has different tools and results vary and fighters develop. You think Vettori is going to give Adesanya any trouble if they were to rematch now for example?

Fights differ and there are so many variables going into it, that it doesn't provide a great base for comparison in the first place. Whether a fighter had a good or bad camp, injuries, wasn't mentally in it, etc can impact a fight in a big way and most of these things we never find out.
That was far too intelligent of a response for someone on Sherdog. Are you sure you're on the correct website, Sir?

Till is patient and plays almost a version of what Wonderboy does for a gameplan

Once he got to the elites, he's become more of a points fighter for better or worse....mixed results so far certainly
he has to use his actual skills now. he cant just count on his reaction time and speed. i think MW till is gonna be a problem as long as he keeps his feet moving. his gas tank looks completely different

Styles make fights. 'Stylebender' has shown he went to the Max Holloway school of defence where he absorbs far too much damage to execute his style... He's getting fucked up and taking damage because that's his thing.

As soon as you MMAth at all, you went too far.

I can't count how many times i've said this, but kelvin is a ww. he needs to be a ww. He cant stay in this weight class he's pretty much ran out of winnable mw matchups.

No way at all. Till executed an excellent strategy to neutralize Gastelum. But nobody really got beat up in that fight. Israel went toe to toe with Gastelum, where Gastelum is most dangerous, for 5 rounds and was trying to kill him and almost did. Also the world found out more about Gastelum and how good he was in that loss to Israel than any of his wins.

Till did what he should have and needed to do and props to him for it. But most, including his own team assumed if he were to go toe to toe with Gastelum as he did against Masvidal and a few others, then Kelvin would have the dangerous edge. The strategy he used against Gastelum would not work against a guy like Israel who can match his footwork and has the length on him. Also, had Israel used that strategy to beat Kelvin or anyone else, most people would be calling him a boring point fighter and shit on him.

As far as the Tavares fight goes, that was a 5 round one sided ass whooping. Wasn't much more you could ask for. Brad ate some huge shots and would not stay down. Just because he didn't KO him doesn't mean that he didn't show that he was in a different class. Everyone talks about Robs long lay off but Brad has been away for a bit longer yet no one talks about ring rust for him. Otherwise, very impressive performance by the kid. It looks like at his age things are only looking up but there are plenty of killers to test where he is. We will see. He is 10 years younger than our Champ. Crazy!!!

PR wise you can definitely argue Till needed to win more than he needed to impress, you could arguie its really his next fight were he should be looking to win well and get closer to a title shot.

Israel as well is I think quite unique for a kickboxer moving to MMA as well, were used to most of those who do that successfully either being one shot counter guys like Reem/Mirko or brawlers like Hunt. Israel is more a Remy style fighter who looks to get opponents to open up on him and counter during combos.

You do I think see some weaknesses from this, he is a bit more hittable on the first shot than he would probably like as he doesn't have the gloves for defence but still he's good at mitigating the power of those shots either by rolling with them or forcing opponents to reach for them.

On the reverse though he is pretty unique in how well he can counter people mid combo, not sure I'v ever seen someone do it as well in MMA and you can see how effective it is putting down fighters with great chins with not massive looking punchs.

Back