Did I miss something with Harris?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

I saw the Amir Sadollah thread and I remember it being the last season I followed throughly before losing interest in TUF.(exception of gsp/kos)

Now looking back there was so many colourful character like Matt the Riddler,mike Dolce, CB,JT money and Matt "motherfuking" Brown, (as the guys put it) in TUF 7

Then I rememberd Gerard Harris who was a big strong guy who lost to Amir. Saw his overall MMA record and he has been finished once outside of the amir fight and has one loss in the UFC by decision while his previous victories have been strong finishes.

Why was he cut from the UFC?

2. Great Angus

Great Angus Blue Belt

There was a lot of controversy following that decision to cut him.

3. Bobby Boulders

Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

If memory serves me correctly, his fight against Falcao was one of the most boring fights ever. That probably had a hand in it, but most think that his being cut wasn't justified, even after the boring fight.

4. ElusiveRiddum

ElusiveRiddum Purple Belt

He got cut right after a fairly boring loss to Maiquel Falcao, Even though Falcao was the main reason for the boringness. He was 3-0 in the UFC before that. A lot of people (including me) thought it was BS.

5. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

Was it really boringness though? I mean they kept Fitch around for such a long time who happens to be a repeat offender and not to mention lots of great fighters with grappling background have had boring matches and yet they kept their job.

6. Bobby Boulders

It really was boringness.

7. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

That doesn't make any sense though! His last three fights were finishes with the last win being a KO slam earning him the KO of the night.

If it was just boringness, why is Manny Gamburyan still in the UFC?

8. Bobby Boulders

I'm not Joe Silva, mang. Tweet him and ask. No one was cool with the decision to cut him, most were shocked, in fact. But, that fight was truly boring.

9. Nelly

Nelly Black Belt

Sucks even more that he lost his next fight and UFC could see that as a justification that it was a good cut.

10. Bobby Boulders

And then the UFC signed the guy that Harris lost to after getting cut. They burned him badly.

11. teamfox223

teamfox223 Brown Belt

That fight with Falcao really show why Harris is not a good fighter. Falcao put it on Harris in round 1 and 2 almost submitting Harris at the end of round 2, soon as Harris gets hit he gets desperate and shoot for take downs which gets stuffed. Falcao decided to take round 3 off which is Harris's only chance of winning the fight yet he decide to do nothing either basically they just looked at each other for 5min.

12. TCE

TCE The Three Piece with the Soda

13. MrBoombostick

MrBoombostick Green Belt

I think it had to do with the money he made and the performances he had. If you keep winning your money keeps going up so he continued to make more while putting people to sleep. Thus the cut. Jake Shields was kind of the same pattern.

14. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Silver Belt

As others have said, it was a controversial decision to cut him and the only clear reason was the terrible, terrible fight against falcao. It's been a long time, but iirc I disagree with the guy who said the boringness being mostly falcao's fault.

I've always kind of assumed that he pissed off someone important and that was why he got cut. Maybe whatever went on was embarrassing to both parties or maybe he was classy enough not to air out his ditty laundry. Either way, I've always assumed there was more to it than one bad fight and that he stepped on someone's toes.