Did I just F up by loaning my friend $11k?

Gracious Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like the title says, I just loaned my friend $11k. I've known the guy since high school and we've remained in touch for almost 20 years. We talk by phone 3-4 times a year and I do like him a good deal. He called me and told me his situation so I asked how much would it be to solve his problem. He said $11k. I told him I would call him back with an answer. I sat for about half and hour and thought it through. I decided to loan him the cash. My reasoning is that I don't have many friends, let alone one that I've know for almost 20 years. If you can't trust someone after that long then who the hell can you trust? Still and all that's a lot of cash for me. I praying he does right by me cause I've been ufcked over in the past by people I trusted and it hurts and really kills your confidence in people. Lets see how it goes

Like the title says, I just loaned my friend $11k. I've known the guy since high school and we've remained in touch for almost 20 years. We talk by phone 3-4 times a year and I do like him a good deal. He called me and told me his situation so I asked how much would it be to solve his problem. He said $11k. I told him I would call him back with an answer. I sat for about half and hour and thought it through. I decided to loan him the cash. My reasoning is that I don't have many friends, let alone one that I've know for almost 20 years. If you can't trust someone after that long then who the hell can you trust? Still and all that's a lot of cash for me. I praying he does right by me cause I've been ufcked over in the past by people I trusted and it hurts and really kills your confidence in people. Lets see how it goes
Your buddy is having a great time with your money

HF6X.gif

For real though, I hope he repays you, but you never know with money, it makes people did strange things

If he has a job or at least 5 years of employment history without being terminated because of drug use or whatever maybe it's not a bad deal.

Nah man, never lend your friends that amount of money..

A friend asked to borrow 500 off me and I just gave it to him instead.. couldn't be fucked with the BS if it went that way.

If he needs a loan, go to a fucken bank..

So, you only talk 3-4 times a year, and he used one of those times to ask for 11k? Not his family, not take out a bank loan or leverage his property? Not ask somebody he talks to regularly in his life?

Sounds like a pretty desparate and unreliable person. Even if he intends to pay you the money, I doubt you see it

So, you only talk 3-4 times a year, and he used one of those times to ask for 11k?

Sounds like a pretty desparate and unreliable person. Even if he intends to pay you the money, I doubt you see it
Tbf we been friends for almost 20 years. We talked way more in the past. Just we both have busy lives and he has a big family so not much time for leisure and talking.

Tbf we been friends for almost 20 years. We talked way more in the past. Just we both have busy lives and he has a big family so not much time for leisure and talking.
How'd he get in debt in the first place and why not take out a bank loan?

When it comes to loaning money to close friends/family, I always have the mindset it's a gift and a bonus if I get it back. Never had a problem.

Play poker quite a bit and lent "Pseudo friends" money a few times. Couple of times never got it back, despite seeing them multiple times with a lot of cash......lesson learnt.

Personal note I'll never loan a friend or family or associate over $1000, and consider it a gift that if they dont even partially try to repay, no more gifts
<{hughesimpress}>

When it comes to loaning money to close friends/family, I always have the mindset it's a gift and a bonus if I get it back. Never had a problem.

Play poker quite a bit and lent "Pseudo friends" money a few times. Couple of times never got it back, despite seeing them multiple times with a lot of cash......lesson learnt.
I dont think I have ever been approached for a loan or gift. Perhaps it's the company I keep or I give out vibes that indicate not to bother. Outside of my lazy brother, cant think of anyone I know that really needs money fast

I dont like the idea of someone owing me. Non-payment would just build resentment in me. It would be a gift or nothing

So did you wire the money, or did you hand it to him in person? Hopefully you didn't send him $11k in gift cards.

lmao if you have to ask...

Back