Did he invent his own martial art?

KS has a lot of relevent, tangable, easy to follow points to say on this subject that I find myself agreeing with.

^^^ A big slob like you can do whatever you want {just kidding.}. And I'm having succotash for lunch, no kidding.... :icon_lol: YUMMY....

^^^ And what's up with the Matador comic...? I'm mean it is an entertainment
forum--I see that now.... :)

^^^ I though we had established I'm a little more cerebral.... I mean if you are dumb, that's one thing.... I would never ask anyone to "play dumb." I do ask people here to think, but am told I'm "dumb." Dumbness is all other....... Summer.......

^^^ Moreover, I accorded cross-training in my final line.... and have spoken to the value of cross-training throughout my history here.... WARNING: I'm going to sound like Sinister now: "Cross-Training is a tool and like any other tool can be misused or misapplied...."

Moreover again,,, I'm with you on many / most of your points.... except the "succotash" of mixing stuff up & declaring this is "good." Need clarification?

SEE VID #2: where you have very young kids going at one another with kickboxing.... that only bears a vauge physical reference to traditional karate, eagle-eye [?] style chinese / Korean TMA.

Hey, I even pointed out a good marketing reason and MMA reason for the contact he advocates, even though I personally don't agree.... I think you're throwing your weight around a bit....

By all means, if the Fist of Nothingness is a feasible business strategy.... who am I to object.... my reservation is how effective this approach actually is, notwithstanding the great appeal of the concept to an applied fighter such as yourself...
^^^ Get a license from the guy & use git @ your GYM.... go for it.....

KarateStylist

Naw I'm good. I have my own philosophies for fighting that I'm dealing with.

Id agree with Summerstriker on this one.

There's nothing wrong with rebranding something once you've made your fighting philosophy "your own". All he did was give it a name...nothing different than what Bruce Lee did.

That's actually what I thought this thread was going to be about.

SummerStriker-- Great points, interesting read as well. Thank you.

KS has a lot of relevent, tangable, easy to follow points to say on this subject that I find myself agreeing with.

KS usually has thought provoking comments, they're just riddled up with the way he posts. I, for one, enjoy it.

KS usually has thought provoking comments, they're just riddled up with the way he posts. I, for one, enjoy it.

I liken it to the first time I read a Victorian era novel. It made no sense at first, but then it got kind of entertaining....

To clarify I only called it lying due to thinking that he was saying Wuchi fu do (or whatever it is called) is a legit style of karate. My dispute was that I thought he was calling it karate (due to a slightly confusing/misleading name). I only wanted to know if it was an "actual" style or a name he applied to his own fighting style... IDC if he teaches it, I just was a bit angry because I thought he was saying "This is Wu Chi Do Fu Karate" when theres no such karate style (I think)

Anyways, we could make this thread about Bruce Lee and JKD.. :p

Traditionalists vs freestyles.. fight!
I think both can be good, there are lots of martial arts teachers that are unable to teach people how to use fighting in real life situations.. but that isn't everyone's main goal. Some want to be fit, to have fun or learn discipline.. I'd mostly look at the age groups going. If he has a good supply of adults, I'd take it more serious than kids. Check it out and see if you like it.

For the record, most TMA guys who think you need to know kanji/hangul or whatever are full of shit. There's no point to it. Just like there's no point to knowing whether you should drink first or not at dinner.

For the record, most TMA guys who think you need to know kanji/hangul or whatever are full of sh*t. There's no point to it. Just like there's no point to knowing whether you should drink first or not at dinner.
^^^ That we need, an authority to clear the air.... nice post....

KarateStylist

Of course, that's my opinion and if that stuff is important to you all the more power to you.

^^^ Can you elaborate...?

KarateStylist

I don't think there's a point to learning Asian language or culture to study a martial art, but if people consider it important they should go ahead and learn it. Just because it's not important to me doesn't mean it can't be a key element of someone else's study

Agreed...if you're learning the skill only. The terms are just descriptors of the movement or concepts...in the language of the culture that fostered the style or system.

If you speak english and you live in America...why not just use english? Because it doesn't sound as cool! Marketing man! Marketing!

For me it's cool to drop some thai names from time to time just to share knowledge, but I would never demand that the kids who I teach memorialize all the weird names just to make things less practical.

Shit, I've even seen thai fighters saying jab and low kick!

I don't think there's a point to learning Asian language or culture to study a martial art, but if people consider it important they should go ahead and learn it. Just because it's not important to me doesn't mean it can't be a key element of someone else's study

In some cases, like with Chinese arts, being able to speak the language helps to understand what the technique is based on its name. Some names just don't translate well and cuase a lose of knowing the application. A favorite is Cannon hand, the Chinese also translated to leopard's paw. Guess which one helps you get the tech right?

^^^ Huh, though I basically said that.... that's problem with clipped answers, doesn;t occur with the boxing 'clinics.'

KarateStylist

Back