Did Gus clearly win even 1 round?

I thought he won R1 pretty clearly. Won the grappling battle, such as it was, and landed crisper shots.

R5 was clear for Jones. R2-3 were classic toss-up rounds, and R4 comes down to whether you value putting a guy in danger for 30 seconds more highly than having a clear advantage for the rest of the round. Good arguments either way.

That's how I saw it.

I had this in mind too. People say Rogan was biased sometimes but he keeps mentioning "Gustafsson" over and over in the first 3 rounds

We were so loud I couldn't hear the commentary but I still gave the first 3 to Gus and I also gave the 4th to Gus but I can see how that's debatable

^Jones haters won't even give him a round where he almost finished the fight.

^Gus haters won't even give him a round where he kicked ass for 4.5 minutes.

There's a reason that Sherdog is home to so few rational debates.

How did Jones "clearly" win round 5? Guess what? He didn't

That brief period of being hurt was way closer to a finish than all of Gus' offense in Round 4, so yeah it's worth more. I think that's why they distinguish betw strikes vs. significant strikes.

Fights arent measured in how close you were to finishing someone.

I guess everyone who watched that fight is a Gus hater then.

Well, you were replying to a guy who said he gave that round to Gus. So clearly not everyone, right?

I'm sure plenty of people gave it to Gus. I'm sure most, like me, gave it to Jones. But the key factor is that some of us can express our opinions without sounding like smug assholes, at least some of the time.

I'm sure plenty of people gave it to Gus.
and I'm sure they'll be in another thread next week talking about how so-and-so deserved to win a round because he came closest to finishing the fight like they do with every fighter not named Jon Jones.

I had Gus winning the first 3, and even winning the 4th until Jones hit that spinning elbow that pretty well had him out on his feet for the last 45 seconds. I think the big factor was the 2nd round. I gave it to Gus because he took Jones' feet out from under him and stuck alot of jabs from outside. However, it was still a close round, and Jones landed that big head kick, and another big elbow, and memorable things like that will sometimes when over judges. That being said, I'm sure you could sit a bunch of judges down and have them judge that fight, and the decision will be different every time. It was just that close of a fight. Cannot wait for the rematch.

and I'm sure they'll be in another thread next week talking about how so-and-so deserved to win a round because he came closest to finishing the fight like they do with every fighter not named Jon Jones.

Oh, undoubtedly. Everything on this site, for about 90% of the people, is filtered through "what I wanted to happen". Guy I like loses, robbery. Guy I hate wins, robbery. Guy I like wins close decision, total domination. Etc.

But I think it's a legitimate debate, in a sport with such nebulous criteria. Is more "effective" striking (a) a short burst that 'almost' wins, or (b) continuous advantage over a longer period? I don't feel like being dismissive of either view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back