Did Greg Jackson have a falling out with Jon Jones?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
He was nowhere to be found in the countdown. They showed Greg Jackson when they were showing Jon Jones past victories but there was no explanation as to what happened to him.

Seems like Greg Jackson is retired. Even GSP quit mentioning Greg.

Wink is in charge of running the gym into the ground.

He was on the embedded episode 2 with Jones.

Hes probably out getting some fans

He’s under the cage protecting the stash.

When Cowboy was on Rogan’s podcast, he said that Greg Jackson had taken a step back and that Winkeljohn had essentially taken over the day to day operations.

Jackson’s legacy is a complicated one - he comes across as a philosopher, but also a duplicitous “go get some fans” jerk. He seemed to meticulously gameplan for boring decision wins with some fighters, while letting others (Leonard Garcia) just swing wildly. Lastly, part of me wonders if he could have been stricter on Jones instead of (I’m speculating here) enabling his crazy antics.

He was on Ari Shaffir's podcast of all things a few years ago. Was talking about the burn-out and keeping his commitment to so many fighters. IDK if he'll ever quit completely but he doesn't have as much in him left to give like he used to

He was on Ari Shaffir's podcast of all things a few years ago. Was talking about the burn-out and keeping his commitment to so many fighters. IDK if he'll ever quit completely but he doesn't have as much in him left to give like he used to

I can see how that would be exhausting.

Dealing with a whole bunch of egos can be fatiguing also.

They are not falling out, but falling in live.....again.

Jackson’s legacy is a complicated one - he comes across as a philosopher, but also a duplicitous “go get some fans” jerk. He seemed to meticulously gameplan for boring decision wins with some fighters, while letting others (Leonard Garcia) just swing wildly. Lastly, part of me wonders if he could have been stricter on Jones instead of (I’m speculating here) enabling his crazy antics.

Nothing wrong with the get fans line. That's exactly what Jones should have done and what post fight interviews are for. The fighter gets to address the live audience and hype his future up.

I will remember him an the guy who took any unfair advantage he could even when outlawed and unnecessary and as a result tainting the legacy of two guys who could have been GOATs - GSP and Jones.

Maybe a guy like Jon would accept some level of being boxed in and discipline. Seems like a coach just being able to keep Jon from completely going off the tracks is a tremendous accomplishment at this point to me. Jon was likely always wild as hell and you give him all that success and money at a young age I'm sure it took a lot of finesse to coach him.

Back