Did Florian win the first three rounds vs Penn?

Jon Stark

King in the North
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just reading online that Ken Flo was told he was leading on all the judges score cards before his 4th round meltdown and finish at the hands of BJ Penn in August 2009. I remember watching this fight and thinking Penn had won all 3 rounds or at least 2.

Are the judges scorecards anywhere that show who was actually winning leading into the 4th?

Round 4 vs Florian was one of Penn's best rounds in the UFC

No, but Vitor beat Chuck Liddell 29-28.

giphy.gif

I agree but are the score cards anywhere for reference?

From what I remember, BJ won every round. I don't remeber Florian doing anything significant.

No. Not at all.

Everytime they had space to work, Penn lit Florian up, prompting Florian to shoot a TD. Then Florian would do nothing except hold position on the fence.

Not that it matters. Penn went to town on Florian in the 4th. People never talk about how much of a beatdown that finish was anymore.

All florini did was hold bj against the cage with "shoulder pressure", everytime they were in the center of the cage he'd get countered during the striking exchanges.

No. Not at all.

Everytime they had space to work, Penn lit Florian up, prompting Florian to shoot a TD. Then Florian would do nothing except hold position on the fence.

Not that it matters. Penn went to town on Florian in the 4th. People never talk about how much of a beatdown that finish was anymore.

I've always wondered why BJ waited until the 4th to take him down, he took him down rather easily and just ran through Florini's defense like it was nothing:

I've always wondered why BJ waited until the 4th to take him down, he took him down rather easily and just ran through Florini's defense like it was nothing:

I always got the feeling Penn wanted to strike, especially since he blasted Florian just about as soon as the fight started. He kept striking whenever he had space.

I think Penn kinda clued in by round 4 that Florian really had no intention to do anything else besides push him into the cage, and just switched it up as a result.

Then again, it is odd that Penn didn't wanna make a point on the ground, given how hyped Florian's BJJ was going into that fight.

I always thought BJ never used his wrestling/BJJ enough. He is heads and shoulders above everyone in his division in terms of BJJ. I wish he would have tried to wrestle Frankie down more. In their 2nd fight, BJ got 2 takedowns against Frankie, but Frankie got up pretty easily. BJ was able to take down Lyoto, GSP(1st fight), Nick Diaz and Jon Fitch. I think he could have taken down most LW's. Very underrated (and underused) takedowns.

I always got the feeling Penn wanted to strike, especially since he blasted Florian just about as soon as the fight started. He kept striking whenever he had space.

I think Penn kinda clued in by round 4 that Florian really had no intention to do anything else besides push him into the cage, and just switched it up as a result.

Then again, it is odd that Penn didn't wanna make a point on the ground, given how hyped Florian's BJJ was going into that fight.

You might be right. I have the feeling BJ was trying to conserve his gas tank too by only striking with him in the early rounds. It was pretty apparant there was a huge gap in the BJJ skill between both men.

Kenny tried the GSP approach of attempting to tire Penn arms. Only difference was that GSP took Penn down. All Kenny did was pushing Penn against the cage. All that shit backfire when Penn took Kenny down and choke the life out of him

Randy messed it up by saying he thought Florian was ahead on the post fight show. I thought Penn dominated the whole fight. It looked like Florian couldn't mount any offense at all

Back