Did Dana give any hints he was closing Pride and Strikeforce?

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
Let's look back on the closing of Pride and Strikeforce, I'm having trouble finding videos of him talking about those decisions besides him originally saying Strikeforce would continue business as usual. Curious cause of what's going on at 125.

I can’t remember honestly, as Soon as they bought Strikeforce I figured it was a matter of time

He gave the biggest of "hints" when he bought them(he being Dana and Zuffa.) When you buy your competition, you absolve them. You don't keep them competing with you.

He said "business as usual" with Strikeforce and then absorbed the parts of his roster that he liked.

Pride was just a spiteful tragedy.

Business as usual can mean many things. Perspective is everything.

Wec closure while obvious came out of nowhere when it was announced.

Pride kind of closed itself. The old joke is that Zuffa/Dana bought the most expensive video library in history.

Right before he closed down Pride he said "Pride will live for years to come." That was 10 minutes before he closed it down, called Pride fans fucking goofs then banged Arianny.

With Strikeforce,

Like Buff says it was 'business as usual' which apparently Dana meant is anything but business as usual.

He basically saw Nick fight a few days later and decided he wanted him and he also ripped apart the on-going HW tourney to get Overeem and it went downhill from there.

With Strikeforce,

Like Buff says it was 'business as usual' which apparently Dana meant is anything but business as usual.

He basically saw Nick fight a few days later and decided he wanted him and he also ripped apart the on-going HW tourney to get Overeem and it went downhill from there.
That tourney was a joke in the end... Werdum lying down, Overeem selling out, Fedor getting tooled, and an a stand-in winning.

Madness. I loved Strikeforce.

Dana - “women will never compete in the ufc”

So basically it’s like Opposite Day with everything he says.

He gave the biggest of "hints" when he bought them(he being Dana and Zuffa.) When you buy your competition, you absolve them. You don't keep them competing with you.

This is terrible business logic. You own the competition they aren't competing with you, you're hedging your bets. Getting rid of Strikeforce might be the decision that kills the UFC long term.

From looking into it, apparently Dana did plan on running Pride but it was a clusterfuck(Rogan did an interesting podcast on this topic, where he says all the employees just quit and started working Dream). Strikeforce is the area where I have doubts. Generally have found very little info online about these periods though.

It lives on in the fantasies of pride boys that is was superior to the UFC.......

HW they had a case but the Pride HW fighters didn't do too good and certainly didn't prove their superiority. Other divisions it was all BS. Look how Wandy did when he went to LHW? Sure people say Rampage gets credited as unifying the belts for the UFC when he was Pride not too long before, true but dude lost to Forrest Griffin, Pride fighters worst nightmare.

I thought he said they planned to continue Pride, but then no one would cooperate - and he implied that the Yakuza put the stop on it

Back