Did Conor McGregor Pass the "Wrestling Test"? Highlights / Breakdown by Brendan Dorma

It's almost as if Steven Spielberg produced this.

Not sure about that. For most his defense is bad after this fight, but they don't even know that Conor was not training to fight a wrestler. Conor was still able to stop some of Mendes TDs, and I know that if he comes prepared to fight a wrestler he will most likely defend every TD or at least get up quickly.

After 90seconds I couldnt listen to this guy anymore, can you make a more annoying video??

The way I see it regarding this topic is that we'll have to wait till Conor fights another wrestler, Edgar, Mendes again or someone else with the same skills. Yes, Conor was taken down and dominated on his back and its clear that the wrestling part of his game was weak in this fight. With that said, he had 0 time to train and get ready for this style match up so we dont know how well Conor would have done with a full camp devoted to fighting a wrestler.

If I could make a prediction. I think if Conor does fight this style match up soon he will have problems again, to fully develop solid tdd, scrambles and wrestling takes a bit of time and camps. I think he may do better, but it will still be a issue for him. Of course that doesnt mean he cant win the fight.

After 90seconds I couldnt listen to this guy anymore, can you make a more annoying video??

The way I see it regarding this topic is that we'll have to wait till Conor fights another wrestler, Edgar, Mendes again or someone else with the same skills. Yes, Conor was taken down and dominated on his back and its clear that the wrestling part of his game was weak in this fight. With that said, he had 0 time to train and get ready for this style match up so we dont know how well Conor would have done with a full camp devoted to fighting a wrestler.

If I could make a prediction. I think if Conor does fight this style match up soon he will have problems again, to fully develop solid tdd, scrambles and wrestling takes a bit of time and camps. I think he may do better, but it will still be a issue for him. Of course that doesnt mean he cant win the fight.

Hey man dont make too much sense, the Conor 'balls on forehead' crew is gonna light you up.

The video was terrible, but I didn't watch the whole thing...

"Are we sure that it was a gas tank issue."

Yeah, pretty sure. And just because someone exacerbates the issue through body work doesn't mean there can't be two things going on at once. That's pretty basic logic.

He did a pretty good job in scrambles, and he got back to his feet a few times in the first and you can see the last scramble in this video as well. If Conor was bad at scrambling he would not have ever escaped the crucifix in the first round and got back up.

The video was terrible, but I didn't watch the whole thing...

"Are we sure that it was a gas tank issue."

Yeah, pretty sure. And just because someone exacerbates the issue through body work doesn't mean there can't be two things going on at once. That's pretty basic logic.

The body shots were the much bigger factor. What is the excuse for Mendes starting to gassing in the first couple minutes of the fight, and it is not like as if the fight continued on to the 3rd or championship rounds. He got beat in 2 rounds and was tiring with in minutes from the body shot and Conor's pressure did not help the situation. Or are we going to argue that Chad was gassed from walking to the cage.

People need to stop making excuses for his wrestling. I'm not a Conor hater, his striking is special, its on another level. His TDD was definitely much weaker than I expected. It's not the fact he got taken down, its the fact some of the TDs were so easy.

Before the fight, Conor fans were saying he's spent the last 5 yrs working on his ground game, its grown by leaps & bounds since the loss to Duffy, etc. Now after the fight, they're making excuses by saying he only had a few weeks to train wrestling. It is a fact that Conor's team are well aware that there was a good chance he would get the better of the standup vs Aldo, & that Aldo would resort to wrestling. They knew this, so please stop saying he didn't train wrestling. Conor's striking is the real deal, its a thing of beauty, but no need to make excuses for his wrestling. He may still beat Aldo regardless, his striking is that good

5 minutes of life wasted. The guy made 1 point about the "wrestling test" and it was that Conor's standup > Mendes wrestling. That does not answer the wrestling test at all.

The body shots were the much bigger factor.

Based on what, your say-so? Even in the absence of body shots, a guy with a build and style like Mendes, which Conor even called him out on, is not very efficient in terms of stamina in a fight. He has to be in phenomenal shape to make it work.

What is the excuse for Mendes starting to gassing in the first couple minutes of the fight, and it is not like as if the fight continued on to the 3rd or championship rounds. He got beat in 2 rounds and was tiring with in minutes from the body shot and Conor's pressure did not help the situation. Or are we going to argue that Chad was gassed from walking to the cage.

Getting hit in the body will hurt you and take the fight out of you but his labored breathing is an obvious sign of cardio issues. There's a difference.

I don't think you have any sort of appreciation for the exertion that goes into fighting in MMA for even one minute. Normal people will gas after the first few exchanges. You don't fight at that level at your highest potential without being at your physical peak.

And Mendes will train his chin and his guts to take a fucking shallacking again.

One-eyed cry baby :icon_lol:

Stopped watching after 2 mins. And a good majority were glancing blows that were aimed for the body. Can Mcgrgeor improve his TDD, we'll have to wait and see, I would imagine a little bit, but I don't see him developing TDD like a Barao, Aldo, or Penn.

Conor whooped Chad's ass in 2 rounds. He was taken down, but he withstood the top game from the best wrestler in the division and then stood up and pounded him on the feet. End of discussion

People need to stop making excuses for his wrestling. I'm not a Conor hater, his striking is special, its on another level. His TDD was definitely much weaker than I expected. It's not the fact he got taken down, its the fact some of the TDs were so easy.

Before the fight, Conor fans were saying he's spent the last 5 yrs working on his ground game, its grown by leaps & bounds since the loss to Duffy, etc. Now after the fight, they're making excuses by saying he only had a few weeks to train wrestling. It is a fact that Conor's team are well aware that there was a good chance he would get the better of the standup vs Aldo, & that Aldo would resort to wrestling. They knew this, so please stop saying he didn't train wrestling. Conor's striking is the real deal, its a thing of beauty, but no need to make excuses for his wrestling. He may still beat Aldo regardless, his striking is that good

Good post entirely agree. Didn't Mcgregor say he was going to outgrapple Mendes? The thing I found puzzling was how easy he was taken down and how easily his guard was passed. I can see why it was so easy for Duffy to submit him. If he can keep the fight standing and doesn't gas, he has more than a decent chance in beating Aldo.

He did a pretty good job in scrambles, and he got back to his feet a few times in the first and you can see the last scramble in this video as well. If Conor was bad at scrambling he would not have ever escaped the crucifix in the first round and got back up.

He did I'll give him that, but I think it was more that Chad was already starting to gas second minute in the first round.

Conor beat a wrestler with one leg and who cares about Conor's wrestling skills

Before the fight, Conor fans were saying he's spent the last 5 yrs working on his ground game, its grown by leaps & bounds since the loss to Duffy, etc. Now after the fight, they're making excuses by saying he only had a few weeks to train wrestling

Ground game isn't always wrestling. Imo his ground game was actually decent, but his wrestling was not. The way he defended the guillotine and the scrambles he got in shown his ground game was top notch. He defended a guillotine against the top guillotine guy in the FW division.

Back