Did Cody prove "Neo Footwork" is more Rogan nonsense?

Yeah man, Cody's reaction time is crazy. He's also fast once the trigger is pulled. But TJ might have the same level of reflexes and speed.

Another big plus that Cody has is that he really did not seem worried about what Dom could do to him. He trusted his reflexes, his chin, and his power, and that allowed him to capitalize on them.

And whoever was drilling wrestling with him at TAM deserves a $20k bonus frfr.

Yep, and they have youth on their side. I was honestly amazed at how he timed that one TD, and how he was able to react so quickly to Dom's TD attempts.

My god, I can't wait for Cody and TJ's fight.

You know for sure Duane's gonna have him ready for Cody, but can he phsyically pull it off? Cody is seriously the revelation of 2016/2017.

He's in his physical prime, and his confidence is through the roof. Same with TJ. My body is ready.

Same here, man, I can't wait for TJ/Cody to go down. That's going to be a damn good fight 'cause how they match up so well and the buildup will be very interesting to see IMO.

Both looked better than ever the other night with Cody slapping Cruz around and TJ mauling Lineker. A prime TJ vs. prime Garbrandt.. that's a hell of a fight. TJ has gained a lot more muscle since the Barao fights and is looking better than ever physically and in terms of his two last performances.

TJ has shown a lot of improvements since the Cruz loss (which is arguable IMO), and Cody just looked incredible against Cruz. If TJ had the power Cody has, I think it would've looked very similar to Cody/Cruz, honestly. That was a big game changer.

We'll see what happens. I have no idea who will win that fight but I'm obviously hoping for TJ based on my AV and sig. He's been one of my all-time favourites for years now, so I hope he pulls it off. In a way I'm glad it's against Cody because it will be a far more entertaining fight - but at the same time I wish it was against Cruz 'cause I would've liked to see TJ get his revenge, you know?

TJ/Cody is one of the best match-ups the UFC can possibly make next year. It's one of the craziest match-ups ever IMO, it's just such a good fight stylistically and due to how they used to train together and don't like each other anymore and such.

Same here, man, I can't wait for TJ/Cody to go down. That's going to be a damn good fight 'cause how they match up so well and the buildup will be very interesting to see IMO.

Both looked better than ever the other night with Cody slapping Cruz around and TJ mauling Lineker. A prime TJ vs. prime Garbrandt.. that's a hell of a fight. TJ has gained a lot more muscle since the Barao fights and is looking better than ever physically and in terms of his two last performances.

TJ has shown a lot of improvements since the Cruz loss (which is arguable IMO), and Cody just looked incredible against Cruz. If TJ had the power Cody has, I think it would've looked very similar to Cody/Cruz, honestly. That was a big game changer.

We'll see what happens. I have no idea who will win that fight but I'm obviously hoping for TJ based on my AV and sig. He's been one of my all-time favourites for years now, so I hope he pulls it off. In a way I'm glad it's against Cody because it will be a far more entertaining fight - but at the same time I wish it was against Cruz 'cause I would've liked to see TJ get his revenge, you know?

TJ/Cody is one of the best match-ups the UFC can possibly make next year. It's one of the craziest match-ups ever IMO, it's just such a good fight stylistically and due to how they used to train together and don't like each other anymore and such.

My most anticipated fight by far for next this year, and I had TJ winning the first fight.

lol you just further proved my point. I addressed Brian Bowles and said he had especially horrid boxing, so Dom beat him

Dillashaw was taller than most of his other opponents and he gave Cruz his toughest fight, that's not a coincidence.

Dom only looked dominant when he was beating on 5ft3 midgets like Lil Benevidez.

2 inch advantage is very significant at that weight class, the fact you think it isn't speaks volumes about you

Quality.

Dom beat Dillashaw but it doesnt count because it was a competitive fight.

Dom beat Bowles but it doesnt count because you personally dont rate him.

There's nothing the guy could do that you wouldnt come up with some bullshit to downplay it.

Good for you.

The entire concept of footwork is balance. To be able to throw a punch and always follow it up with another punch (combinations), to be able to slip a punch and throw another punch, potentially multiple punches. All that is impossible to do without balance

If you think dancing around like a complete retard, crossing your feet constantly, leaning your weight all over the place where you're never in a position to throw a good counter or multiple punches is “mma footwork”, you're clueless. Sorry to break it to you.

You're a dick, sorry.

An MMA fighter's unorthodox footwork bamboozles and defeats opponents for a decade, allowing him to make multiple title defences, but it's actually terrible because it isnt the same as the type of footwork used in a completely different sport.

Wipe your chin.

I disagree a bit
Dom's shifts are clearly patterned on some of the better outboxers in history. But he's over reliant on feints, and Cody (a long time amateur boxing) read his feints easily. Cruz's striking works against guys who haven't been boxing for nearly a decade. What Cruz is doing is adapting a very very difficult style to implement in MMA, and I think it works (I agree he's usually bigger and longer) despite not being as tight and smooth as you'd want it to be. It's not so much the reach but he's actually pretty good at fighting long, loopy shit punches and all, and he uses his height well (guys are punching up at him, or trying to)

One of the best things about the Cruz/Cody fight was Cody literally using some of Dom's favorite tactics (crouching and using it to spring to either side, an Ali favorite) against him with way better and more effecient footwork. I think Cody just showed that Cruz's footwork wasn't as tight as people believed. And of course, above the waist I think most can agree (and this isn't hindsight I've been saying this) his boxing is pretty trash, his punching mechanics are sloppy and people have been trying to convince me for years he's throwing "casting" punches on purpose.

Also, Cody in spurts showed that he could punch and kick Dom's body pretty much anytime he wanted to. Mindblowing that no one else ever tried.

Either way, Cruz will rebound - but with his knees, his age, and the fact that he just lost we could see him fall off the proverbial cliff soon in terms of effectiveness. Still though, the guy that fought Friday beats every BW not named Cody Garbrandt or TJ Dillashaw (maybe Rivera if he gets a bit better).

I do feel way more confident in my DJ/Cruz pick though. If DJ can defend a takedown or two he could win a comfortable decision.

Dom doesn't throw casting punches (at least not the Russian hooks type), he just kind of wings them from the side. The way Fedor threw casting punches, when he turns his fist all the way over, his shoulder comes up and makes it almost impossible to counter as his chin is protected. The Arlovski fight was a great example of this, everyone was saying how Fedor was getting lit up, but almost all of those punches were hitting his shoulders or arms. That's why he was one of the least hit fighters.

Funny. He trained with a group called Boxingworks or something like that early in his career around the time his style started emerging.

As has been said, styles make fights.

I also think that Cruz was completely unprepared for what Cody ended up bringing to the table and the approach he used. Most people thought the only way he was winning was an early KO, even his fans. Cruz hadn't seen that before and he couldn't adjust on the fly. I'm not entirely convinced that he couldn't win a rematch after training for an opponent who is able to do those things.

cruz was never good. he just hypnotized judges with his dance moves

I was actually gonna start a thread saying how Cody should be nicknamed, Spider-Man, because of his insane reflexes, but didn't wanna deal with the Silva fans.

Don't be a bitch, do it son.

This is coming from a YUGE Anderson Silva fan by the way.

Yep, and they have youth on their side. I was honestly amazed at how he timed that one TD, and how he was able to react so quickly to Dom's TD attempts.

You know for sure Duane's gonna have him ready for Cody, but can he phsyically pull it off? Cody is seriously the revelation of 2016/2017.

He's in his physical prime, and his confidence is through the roof. Same with TJ. My body is ready.
I feel like Cody is Mike Perry if Mike Perry was actually good.

Was bang Training cody at all while he was at TAM too? Also, Cody's success makes you wonder why TAM doesn't just hire Cody's uncle as a boxing coach.

I was actually gonna start a thread saying how Cody should be nicknamed, Spider-Man, because of his insane reflexes, but didn't wanna deal with the Silva fans.
as good as Cody was don't you dare sully my name , thank you very much .

I love how TS thinks this loss proves that Cruz's dominance over his division for years and years and incredible record is undone by a single loss and anyone who bought in was an idiot.

Long story short, MMA is about matchups, while I'd be the first to admit I thought Cruz was going to make CoGar look amateurish and was wrong, fact of the matter is that Cruz finally met his match in someone who was good enough of a striker to gameplan his untraditional movement and footwork. TAM had seems like a half dozen game plans that failed to work around, it was prolly only a matter of time, especially considering Silly Dilly had moderate success against Cruz, just didn't get the nod.

lol @ the idea that someone would reinvent something in a couple of years that took centuries to perfect

boxing fundamentals>new age bull shit
especially a MMA fighter...

Cruz' footwork is da bomb but he has to recognize when it is not working for him to stay around. He's been in the ufc long enough for ppl to discover the holes in his game

His fancy movements against Cody were just a waste of gas. On top of that he was chasing Cody non stop. He shouldve laid back a little more and watch this kid come to him.

And have tried to take his tattooed ass to the ground since the standup game wasnt really going well for Dom

Back