Did Cody prove "Neo Footwork" is more Rogan nonsense?

Cody Goatbrandt is the greatest of all time, let's not totally shit on Cruz me footwork. It's effective against most except the goat

I think the beauty in his style is his looseness and unorthodox nature. You guys may think it's sloppy and amateurish, but it's highly highly effective, and hee cuaght Cody with some pin poijt bombs in there.

There were shots he landed where I went, when did he even throw that shot, and from where?

My god, you guys are severely underrating the hell out of Cruz right now.

It's kind of sad, but this is sherdog where once someone loses he was "exposed" and he was "never that good".

The idea that he has good footwork is completely absurd. UFC fans are fucking idiots. Any person with one iota of boxing knowledge (i.e., not Joe Rogaine) can see what Cruz does is completely goofy and ridiculous. The guy got totally exposed by a ameture level boxer.

The idea that he has good footwork is completely absurd. UFC fans are fucking idiots. Any person with one iota of boxing knowledge (i.e., not Joe Rogaine) can see what Cruz does is completely goofy and ridiculous. The guy got totally exposed by a ameture level boxer.

You're an imbecile.

If you think boxing footwork is the same thing as MMA footwork, go drink bleach.

Boxing footwork is totally different from MMA footwork in every conceivable way that footwork can be different.

To criticize Dominick Cruz's MMA footwork in an MMA context because it isn't the same as boxing footwork is a completely fucking moronic thing to do.

the point is his techniques and footwork was never "great", it just worked because he was fighting guys he had a significant attribute advantage over. Brian Bowles was 5ft7, not over 5ft7 and he punched like this:
rs62d3.gif
k7OIlux.gif

Cody was the 1st good boxer his size that he's ever fougth in his career. He didn't pass the test.

Bullshit.

TJ Dillashaw is a good boxer and Cruz passed the test.

Dont embarrass yourself by trying to pretend that Dillashaw is some tiny dwarf. The size difference between him and Cruz is miniscule and negligible, a totally standard size difference for any two fighters in any weight class.

0/10

TJ Dillashaw - 5ft 6in, 67in reach

Brian Bowles - 5ft 7in, 70.5in reach

Dominick Cruz - 5ft 8in, 68in reach

But Dominick only ever beat people he had a "significant" size advantage over.

By this standard, only a fraction of the victories ever achieved in MMA are legit, because any time there is a 1-2 inch height advantage, the win is tainted via height-ism.

Only on Sherdog.

giphy.gif

TJ Dillashaw - 5ft 6in, 67in reach

Brian Bowles - 5ft 7in, 70.5in reach

Dominick Cruz - 5ft 8in, 68in reach

But Dominick only ever beat people he had a "significant" size advantage over.

By this standard, only a fraction of the victories ever achieved in MMA are legit, because any time there is a 1-2 inch height advantage, the win is tainted via height-ism.

Only on Sherdog.

giphy.gif
lol you just further proved my point. I addressed Brian Bowles and said he had especially horrid boxing, so Dom beat him

Dillashaw was taller than most of his other opponents and he gave Cruz his toughest fight, that's not a coincidence.

Dom only looked dominant when he was beating on 5ft3 midgets like Lil Benevidez.

2 inch advantage is very significant at that weight class, the fact you think it isn't speaks volumes about you

You're an imbecile.

If you think boxing footwork is the same thing as MMA footwork, go drink bleach.

Boxing footwork is totally different from MMA footwork in every conceivable way that footwork can be different.

To criticize Dominick Cruz's MMA footwork in an MMA context because it isn't the same as boxing footwork is a completely fucking moronic thing to do.

The entire concept of footwork is balance. To be able to throw a punch and always follow it up with another punch (combinations), to be able to slip a punch and throw another punch, potentially multiple punches. All that is impossible to do without balance

If you think dancing around like a complete retard, crossing your feet constantly, leaning your weight all over the place where you're never in a position to throw a good counter or multiple punches is “mma footwork”, you're clueless. Sorry to break it to you.

it really isn't. people think his footwork is great because he's moving around a lot and is winning fights, but he does shit that is atrocious. he crosses his feet, keeps them far too close, and does his little tiptoe dance every 10 seconds.

his striking has also always been far from pretty. he keeps his hands low and then lunges in with wild hooks, head first, tumbling forward.

fans often confuse effective with technical. cruz has impeccable timing and is very fast, his punches are wild but accurate, he knows how to transition into takedowns, and has an underrated ground game. his cardio is off the charts, and his chin is superb. but that doesn't change the fact that what he's doing isn't technical. everyone gets a hardon when he makes people miss, but no one notices that he isn't staying in the pocket when he does it, nor is he ever in a position to land hard countershots when he does his head swinging.

you want to see insane footwork, check out lomachenko or chocolatito gonzalez. hell, even GGG displayed some really nice defensive movement with his feet when he fought lemieux. if you don't want to go to boxing to see it, frankie edgar is the man to watch. hell, just look at how garbrandt moved when he beat cruz.

Not to mention all those little forward runs that he would do just ended up helping Cody have more pop on his punches. He was literally sprinting into counters at some points.

Notice how I didn't claim that his overall skills are poor.

Cruz is a great athlete, wrestler and a high level striker but a lot of his footwork is wasteful fluff. It makes him vulnerable to strikers who are on a similar level and whom he does not tower over.

uvs6_weighin_031_large.jpg

Yes, you can have junk in your skillset that never gets exposed until you fight the right opponent, and at BW, those opponents have been very rare.

it really isn't. people think his footwork is great because he's moving around a lot and is winning fights, but he does shit that is atrocious. he crosses his feet, keeps them far too close, and does his little tiptoe dance every 10 seconds.

his striking has also always been far from pretty. he keeps his hands low and then lunges in with wild hooks, head first, tumbling forward.

fans often confuse effective with technical. cruz has impeccable timing and is very fast, his punches are wild but accurate, he knows how to transition into takedowns, and has an underrated ground game. his cardio is off the charts, and his chin is superb. but that doesn't change the fact that what he's doing isn't technical. everyone gets a hardon when he makes people miss, but no one notices that he isn't staying in the pocket when he does it, nor is he ever in a position to land hard countershots when he does his head swinging.

you want to see insane footwork, check out lomachenko or chocolatito gonzalez. hell, even GGG displayed some really nice defensive movement with his feet when he fought lemieux. if you don't want to go to boxing to see it, frankie edgar is the man to watch. hell, just look at how garbrandt moved when he beat cruz.

Those casuals don't understand man, they are too dumb.
GGG showed that he's not just a powerslugger against Lemieux, excellent technical display of him there, especially his use of the jab that fight.

No. Cruz's movement has worked for his entire career pretty much. Nobody was able to figure out how to beat him at all after he lost to Faber years ago. It's just proof that you can really beat anybody with a good, proper gameplan. There's a gameplan that can work against everybody, everybody has their flaws, nobody is perfect in there.

Most of Dom's opponent chased him around the cage and missed with everything, but Cody made Cruz do the chasing and forced him to miss because of it. He made Dom lose the same way that Dom made everybody else lose, if that makes sense.

Nobody has really ever tried to fight Cruz this way and it was a big part of Cody's success. If he chased Cruz around, I guarantee it would've looked like every other Cruz fight with Cody missing. I don't think Dom expected Cody to fight the way he did at all, he likely expected Cody to do what everybody else does.

Cody's speed, power, timing and obvious understanding of boxing (both offensively and defensively) helped him get the win, especially his power. Dropping Cruz repeatedly is what really got him the win - if he didn't have that power, he might have ended up losing the decision due to his inactivity throughout some of the rounds and his punches not having much effect.

If TJ had the same power as Cody, he definitely would've beat Cruz that night too, but he doesn't have that ability.

Styles make fights, ladies and gentleman.

EDIT: Lol at people acting like Cruz's movement is suddenly shit now. That's why I love Sherdog. The only thing that matters about it is that it's effective. It doesn't need to be technically perfect. There are some things his footwork makes him incapable of doing (such as landing good counter shots and having real power in his strikes overall due to being off balance so much) but his movement, all of it, does have a purpose.

You don't know if he's going right or left. You don't know if he's going to be coming forward or moving away. You sometimes don't know if he's going to hit you with a punch or a kick because his movement is so strange and different.

Just because it isn't textbook doesn't mean it's not good. Like I said, effectiveness is truly the only thing that matters. It's the same when it comes to lesser strikers beating better strikers than themselves, it's not about who the most skilled and technically sound is, it's about who the most effective is and Cruz is very fucking effective.

If you want to see technically sound and textbook movement in MMA, watch TJ. He does everything correctly in terms of his movement and is actually able to slip punches in the pocket and counter from both sides while constantly changing stances well. TJ puts it all together amazingly with his overall movement and ability to counter while leading. That shit is hard to do and extremely rare in MMA.

Using this kind of movement in MMA is far more challenging than it is in boxing. Stop mentioning boxing. It's a completely different game in every single way.

Last edited:
It's kind of sad, but this is sherdog where once someone loses he was "exposed" and he was "never that good".

Seriously, instead of, wow, what a master class performance by Cody, it's, eh, Dom wasn't shit anyways.....Like what???

No. Cruz's movement has worked for his entire career pretty much. Nobody was able to figure out how to beat him at all after he lost to Faber years ago. It's just proof that you can really beat anybody with a good, proper gameplan.

Most of Dom's opponent chased him around the cage and missed with everything, but Cody made Cruz do the chasing and forced him to miss because of it. He made Dom lose the same way that Dom made everybody else lose, if that makes sense.

Nobody has really ever tried to fight Cruz this way and it was a big part of Cody's success. If he chased Cruz around, I guarantee it would've looked like every other Cruz fight with Cody missing. I don't think Dom expected Cody to fight the way he did at all, he likely expected Cody to do what everybody else does.

Cody's speed, power, timing and obvious understanding of boxing (both offensively and defensively) helped him get the win, especially his power. Dropping Cruz repeatedly is what really got him the win - if he didn't have that power, he might have ended up losing the decision due to his inactivity throughout some of the rounds and his punches not having much effect.

If TJ had the same power as Cody, he definitely would've beat Cruz that night too, but he doesn't have that ability.

Styles make fights, ladies and gentleman.

It's because no one can fight him this way. No one's going out there, and CPU teeing most of Dom's shot, this forcing him to lead to get his points back.

You have to be a stand up elite to beat Dom, oh, and also have the reflexes of Spider-Man. No one can deny the TDs like Cody did. He has next level type of reaction time. It's downright big cat like.

Cruz' footwork is bullshit, but its effective bullshit. It's smoke and mirrors. He's throwing out all kinds of noise to distract you from the patterns you could use to find him. It's the epitome of an "awkward" style.

As much as boxing types talk like there's one, true, idealized way of doing things, they'll also admit that "awkward styles" can win fights. If a guy is doing some shit no one else does, its very difficult to prepare for it. But if everyone did Neo footwork, it would lose its efficacy.

But meh what the fuck do any of us know anymore.

It's because no one can fight him this way. No one's going out there, and CPU teeing most of Dom's shot, this forcing him to lead to get his points back.

You have to be a stand up elite to beat Dom, oh, and also have the reflexes of Spider-Man. No one can deny the TDs like Cody did. He has next level type of reaction time. It's downright big cat like.

Honestly, the way I saw it was that Cody outCruz'd Dominick Cruz. He made Cruz chase him and miss, which is what everybody has been doing against Cruz for years and he timed TD's just like Cruz would. He timed those TD's perfectly, catching Cruz with it while he was coming forward and throwing.

The biggest difference was the power, timing and good movement he (Cody) had. He does everything correctly with his movement, it's textbook shit. Just watch how he KO'd Almeida, how he comes forward but cuts the angle to his left and then lands a right hand right through Almeida's defense, he lined it up perfectly by getting the dominant angle, which is basically what fighting is all about, a battle for the dominant angle and foot positioning. He does everything and has adapted his boxing style to MMA very well, which is extremely difficult to do in this sport, not many can make it work like that.

In terms of movement, angles and countering ability, TJ and Cody are the best TAM has ever produced.

Honestly, the way I saw it was that Cody outCruz'd Dominick Cruz. He made Cruz chase him and miss, which is what everybody has been doing against Cruz for years and he timed TD's just like Cruz would. He timed those TD's perfectly, catching Cruz with it while he was coming forward and throwing.

The biggest difference was the power, timing and good movement he (Cody) had. He does everything correctly with his movement, it's textbook shit. Just watch how he KO'd Almeida, how he comes forward but cuts the angle to his left and then lands a right hand right through Almeida's defense, he lined it up perfectly by getting the dominant angle, which is basically what fighting is all about, a battle for the dominant angle and foot positioning. He does everything and has adapted his boxing style to MMA very well, which is extremely difficult to do in this sport, not many can make it work like that.

In terms of movement, angles and countering ability, TJ and Cody are the best TAM has ever produced.

Yep, and they have youth on their side. I was honestly amazed at how he timed that one TD, and how he was able to react so quickly to Dom's TD attempts.

My god, I can't wait for Cody and TJ's fight.

You know for sure Duane's gonna have him ready for Cody, but can he phsyically pull it off? Cody is seriously the revelation of 2016/2017.

He's in his physical prime, and his confidence is through the roof. Same with TJ. My body is ready.

Yeah man, Cody's reaction time is crazy. He's also fast once the trigger is pulled. But TJ might have the same level of reflexes and speed.

Another big plus that Cody has is that he really did not seem worried about what Dom could do to him. He trusted his reflexes, his chin, and his power, and that allowed him to capitalize on them.

Back