Did Cody prove "Neo Footwork" is more Rogan nonsense?

Degen Gambler

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Rogan talked about and praised Cruz for his "neo footwork" on several occasions. Did Cody just prove that this is nonsense and traditional fundamentals are what matters?

I wouldn't say it's nonsense as Cruz's use of it has been a huge factor in his success, Cody's timing is just incredible and probably the best I've ever seen in the UFC .

lol @ the idea that someone would reinvent something in a couple of years that took centuries to perfect

boxing fundamentals>new age bull shit

Cruz's footwork is great, but his boxing really isn't, and Cody exposed that like nobody else has been able to do. I would assume Cruz is going to work on boxing almost exclusively for a while.

neo footwork is just a bullshit term Rogan came up with as if Cruz is in the Matrix.

Cody just proved that his use of angles, head movement, and ability to be land at the end of his combos was brilliant.

He would ohtpsiely throw 6-8 shot combos, knowing the 6th, 7th, or 8tb 8tbshot would land on him.

Something no one else had the ability to do, because they don't have the hand speed, and hand/eye coordination of Cody.

He put on such an epic performance, I still almost can't believe he's that good. He's so freaking good.

Cruz's footwork is great, but his boxing really isn't, and Cody exposed that like nobody else has been able to do. I would assume Cruz is going to work on boxing almost exclusively for a while.
his striking seemed off, his over hand right looked like shit and he kept throwing it when Cody wasn't even remotely close to him.

Mostly Cody proved speed kills. But his footwork fundamentals are on point.

Cruz is 58 in knee surgery years. Cody is younger and quicker. Cruz had much better footwork than Cody, but it doesn't matter once the speed goes. Speed is the first to go, power last, but Cruz has never had power, so its time for the glue factory I'm afraid.

there is 1 rule that over rides "neo footwork"

and that is...

"styles make fights"

neo footwork beats everyone not named Cody Garbrandt

Cody has freak athleticism.

Forget footwork - watch the GIF of Cody dodging all of Cruz's straight punches with head movement. Then watch Dom hit a perfectly timed, well placed double leg, where he was under the hips and sweeps Cody off his feet. Cody responds mid-air by inverting his hips and angling his body so he can immediately reverse on landing.

Cruz is a world class MMA adapted grappler. Few guys in the history of MMA have that level of athleticism required to do what Cody did.

Last edited:
Cody has frbek athletecism.

Forget footwork - watch the GIF of Cody dodging all of Cruz's straight punches with head movement. Then watch Dom hit a perfectly timed, well placed double leg, where he was under the hips and sweeps Cody of his feet. Cody responds mid-air by inverting his hips and angling his body so he can immediately reverse on landing.

Cruz is a world class MMA adapted grappler. Few guys in the history of MMA have that level of athleticism required to do what Cody did.

I was actually gonna start a thread saying how Cody should be nicknamed, Spider-Man, because of his insane reflexes, but didn't wanna deal with the Silva fans.

As soon as Cruz loses, one of the p4p best in the world, Sherdog relegates his skills to "nonsense". Love it :)

I don't think we can rightly say something is nonsense because the guy using it got schooled badly one time as Cruz did last night, or even a few times. Even the most effective styles almost never produce perfect records and this is true in MMA/fighting as it in any other sport.

Cruz's point-fighting style is still effective for winning MMA decisions. He just faced someone who knew how to get the better of him last night. But even if Cody and his camp found and applied an effective strategy for beating Cruz, it doesn't mean others would have the same success with the same methods. You have to have an effective strategy and enough tools to apply it well enough and that's easier said than done.

In a way, Cody out-Cruz'd Cruz but did it with more damage than Cruz does. Normally Cruz makes people chase him around as he bounces in and out with pitter-patter strikes and frustrates his opponents into chasing him and headhunting. This is what he did to Faber and Dillashaw. He bounces around, comes in and taps you and then runs away as you chase after him swinging wildly. Cody didn't let Cruz bounce in and out and control the distance. Cody spent some time making Cruz chase him and then would change direction and hit Cruz when he did. The big difference is when Cody hit Cruz, it wasn't pitter-patter.

Last edited:
Cody turned into an excellent counter boxer. He waited for Cruz to engage and then figured out his timing. I didn't even know he could fight like that and neither did Cruz I think.

Everything has a weakness. Dom's style of movement works great against those who come after him with less than stellar cage cutting abilities, and those who stand in front of him.

As Garbrandt proved, it doesn't work as well when he has to go after someone who's able to counter well.

it really isn't. people think his footwork is great because he's moving around a lot and is winning fights, but he does shit that is atrocious. he crosses his feet, keeps them far too close, and does his little tiptoe dance every 10 seconds.

his striking has also always been far from pretty. he keeps his hands low and then lunges in with wild hooks, head first, tumbling forward.

fans often confuse effective with technical. cruz has impeccable timing and is very fast, his punches are wild but accurate, he knows how to transition into takedowns, and has an underrated ground game. his cardio is off the charts, and his chin is superb. but that doesn't change the fact that what he's doing isn't technical. everyone gets a hardon when he makes people miss, but no one notices that he isn't staying in the pocket when he does it, nor is he ever in a position to land hard countershots when he does his head swinging.

you want to see insane footwork, check out lomachenko or chocolatito gonzalez. hell, even GGG displayed some really nice defensive movement with his feet when he fought lemieux. if you don't want to go to boxing to see it, frankie edgar is the man to watch. hell, just look at how garbrandt moved when he beat cruz.

I don't think we can rightly say something is nonsense because the guy using it got schooled badly one time as Cruz did last night. Even the most effective styles almost never produce perfect records and this is true in MMA/fighting as it in any other sport.

Cruz's point-fighting style is still effective for winning MMA decisions. He just faced someone who knew how to get the better of him last night. But even if Cody and his camp found and applied an effective strategy for beating Cruz, it doesn't mean others would have the same success with the same methods. You have to have an effective strategy and enough tools to apply it well enough and that's easier said than done.

Exactly. It's not like Cody unlocked some secret to Dom's style. He's just basically the only one at BW that's good enough, and has the physical tools to beat him.

Oh yeah, and TJ also, but not as convincingly as Cody did it. Meaning TJ beat, Dom.

Just proved that it's a bad term that doesn't serve any purpose besides to over simplify what Cruz does

Back