Opinion Did Bill Maher go to Far? Fat Shaming, and Obesity Crisis

Obviously exercise won't hurt, but the truth is, weight management is 80% diet and 20% physical activity.

Those bodyweight exercises your buddy will do will burn maybe 100 or 200 calories, tops. Which, again, isn't bad but will do very, very little to his weight.

The hard part is not eating garbage. And making that a habit. Problem is, we've been conditioned to crave extremely rich, fatty foods because that's all they serve in restaurants. Anthony Bourdain himself admitted it in his first book- restaurant food tastes delicious because everything is topped off with butter or cream or both.

Once you've had that, your regular spaghetti made at home simply can't compare. So the trick is to cook at home more and to cook healthier stuff, and to make that a habit.

you're absolutely right about that.

I was able to achieve most, if not all of my fitness and weight goals by meal prepping and managing my macros.

what's that cliché saying? "you can't outrun a bad diet.

Obviously exercise won't hurt, but the truth is, weight management is 80% diet and 20% physical activity.

Those bodyweight exercises your buddy will do will burn maybe 100 or 200 calories, tops. Which, again, isn't bad but will do very, very little to his weight.

The hard part is not eating garbage. And making that a habit. Problem is, we've been conditioned to crave extremely rich, fatty foods because that's all they serve in restaurants. Anthony Bourdain himself admitted it in his first book- restaurant food tastes delicious because everything is topped off with butter or cream or both.

Once you've had that, your regular spaghetti made at home simply can't compare. So the trick is to cook at home more and to cook healthier stuff, and to make that a habit.
Ya I make and eat almost all my meals at home. And I simply do NOT buy or bring junk into my house.

When I travel and eat out, I always gain weight. But that is because that is when I allow myself to indulge. If I want it, I eat it. BUt as soon as I get home that weight comes off as I stick to my usual diet which is geered to my current height and weight.

That's the problem. So many conveniences take away the drive to stay in decent shape, or at least not life- shortening shape.

Conveniences are a big part of the problem. I try to squeeze in increments of exercise at any point I can. 99% of that is walking. If I can find an excuse to walk there I will within an hour radius as long as time allows.

People need to understand that 'moving' is easy and key to health.

I've been shocked when traveling thru central europe, in smaller cities who little obesity you see. It is almost zero. And yet they are not holding to a tight diet and they are not going to gyms or working out. They indulge. But they also walk. They walk a lot.

I find the people I know who need to the most, walk and exercise the least.

Last edited:
(Edit, there's a reason why I posted this in the War Room. due to the Health implications, health care, etc that is associated with obesity)

I've noticed two things that many Sherdoggers hate very much. One of them is "Fat people."

So Bill Maher is taking some heat for his recent "New Rules" on Obesity in America.

he stated that "Fat shaming needs to make a comeback" and that some shaming is good.

do you agree/disagree with this segment? why or why not?

and if anyone wants to share their personal struggles, or have friends and family struggling with this, please share.

all opinions welcome.

Weak, thinly veiled attack on Single Payer Healthcare. Very pathetic in that regard, he sounds as Republican as ever.

That said, he's correct about obesity, being overweight isn't healthy and while fat people shouldn't be treated like shit, we also shouldn't pretend it's fine, just like we don't with anorexia, smoking, drinking, etc.

Since we're all on the hook for each others' healthcare, why shouldn't we all get to share our opinions? Folks seems to think it's ok to deride others for how they think, and that doesn't cost 'em a penny.
Excellent point.

Ya I make and eat almost all my meals at home. And I simply do buy or bring junk into my house.

When I travel and eat out, I always gain weight. But that is because that is when I allow myself to indulge. If I want it, I eat it. BUt as soon as I get home that weight comes off as I stick to my usual diet which is geered to my current height and weight.

Conveniences are a big part of the problem. I try to squeeze in increments of exercise at any point I can. 99% of that is walking. If I can find an excuse to walk there I will within an hour radius as long as time allows.

People need to understand that 'moving' is easy and key to health.

I've been shocked when traveling thru central europe, in smaller cities who little obesity you see. It is almost zero. And yet they are not holding to a tight diet and they are not going to gyms or working out. They indulge. But they also walk. They walk a lot.

I find the people I know who need to the most, walk and exercise the least.
There are so many little things that can help too. I lost a good five pounds+ by quitting soda.

But for many, losing weight isn't as easy, so positive encouragement is a good thing.

Cue somebody quoting my fat shaming joke from earlier ITT

There are so many little things that can help too. I lost a good five pounds+ by quitting soda.

But for many, losing weight isn't as easy, so positive encouragement is a good thing.

Cue somebody quoting my fat shaming joke from earlier ITT
For me that was beer.

Despite being in good shape I could not lose some stubborn belly fat. I cut out beer other than on rare social occasions, and instead will have a wine or hard liquor and immediately lost that last 8 or so pounds that I was otherwise struggling with.

Problem is there's too much good food out there. Nobody's cooking anymore. Every day is take out day.

Fat shaming encourages negative reinforcement. Negative reinforcement (like the idea that if you are fat everyone will tell you how bad it is) is less effective than positive reinforcement.

So I think we should push a “everyone should try and get active, eat right for the positive health benefit”, focusing on the good things dropping the fat will result in.

That doesn’t mean speaking negatively about being overweight is “fat shaming”. We shouldn’t call alcoholics, smokers and hard drug addicts unhealthy losers (because in many ways they are more healthy than obese people anyway), yet we shouldn’t encourage their behaviour and the unhealthy implications of their actions either.

Same thing with obese people, which is a “bigger” issue anyway. In terms of Bill Maher, I don’t think he was fat shaming, just mentioning the negative connotations of being fat. Saying “smoking causes lung cancer” isn’t smoking shaming and saying being obese causes heart attacks isn’t either.

Last edited:

It’s not 80 percent diet 20 percent exercise.

Being active can massively increase your daily metabolic rate. According to my Fitbit Alta on my least active days I burn 2,800 cals (bw 160 height 5’10). On the most active it has pushed 5,000. A difference between 2,200 calories, (which is the equivalent of adding an extra 2.8 double quarter pounders to my daily caloric intake).

That means to maintain my 160 pound bw on my most active days I would need to consume 6.4 double quarter pounders.

You really think if I never did any exercise at all I could chill at 160 pounds lean downing 6 and a half double quarter pounders a day? Or if it’s 80/20 then 20 percent less cals than that? (4,000 cals which is 5 double quarter pounders a day)?

Regular exercise makes a huge difference to your daily caloric expenditure, and most people are simply too sedentary (therefore requiring special diets and restrictions to remain lean).

It’s not 80 percent diet 20 percent exercise.

Being active can massively increase your daily metabolic rate. According to my Fitbit Alta on my least active days I burn 2,800 cals (bw 160 height 5’10). On the most active it has pushed 5,000. A difference between 2,200 calories, (which is the equivalent of adding an extra 2.8 double quarter pounders to my daily caloric intake).

That means to maintain my 160 pound bw on my most active days I would need to consume 6.4 double quarter pounders.

You really think if I never did any exercise at all I could chill at 160 pounds lean downing 6 and a half double quarter pounders a day? Or if it’s 80/20 then 20 percent less cals than that? (4,000 cals which is 5 double quarter pounders a day)?

Regular exercise makes a huge difference to your daily caloric expenditure, and most people are simply too sedentary (therefore requiring special diets and restrictions to remain lean).

Holy shit, you do 2,200 calories' worth of exercise? That's like a damn marathon.

I'll take you and your Fitbit's word for it but just know that that's extremely unlikely for the average person. A high-intensity one-hour lifting session will burn you about 500-700 calories. And few people can do that every single day.

Exercise is important because it increases muscle mass which then speeds up your metabolism. But unless you're a freak of nature like you (or a pro athlete that works out 3-5 hours a day every day) your diet is far more important.

Yeah hard not to agree with the gist of his bit there. Not sure how anyone could disagree with it really.

Fat shaming encourages negative reinforcement. Negative reinforcement (like the idea that if you are fat everyone will tell you how bad it is) is less effective than positive reinforcement.

So I think we should push a “everyone should try and get active, eat right for the positive health benefit”, focusing on the good things dropping the fat will result in.

That doesn’t mean speaking negatively about being overweight is “fat shaming”. We shouldn’t call alcoholics, smokers and hard drug addicts unhealthy losers (because in many ways they are more healthy than obese people anyway), yet we shouldn’t encourage their behaviour and the unhealthy implications of their actions either.

Same thing with obese people, which is a “bigger” issue anyway. In terms of Bill Maher, I don’t think he was fat shaming, just mentioning the negative connotations of being fat. Saying “smoking causes lung cancer” isn’t smoking shaming and saying being obese causes heart attacks isn’t either.

Positive reinforcement may be more effective than negative reinforcement, but the most effective is both of them together.

The carrot and the stick.

Although just eating the carrots would be a big win for a lot of people.

I don't eat waffles, haven't touched one in years haha. We really don't eat that many waffles at all. We mostly trick tourists into thinking that.

At the carnival there's a wafflehouse, it's pretty good though. If you find the right place it can be delicious.
How about gaufrettes or stroopwafels? I mean, are they common? Not necessarily whether you eat them or not.

How about gaufrettes or stroopwafels? I mean, are they common? Not necessarily whether you eat them or not.
Probably very common in Belgium
1413223757606_wps_7_20140413_Brussel_Open_Vld.jpg

@tonni needs to confirm (and defend this)

Time for everyone to get over the obsession with physical appearance. It is the antithesis of mind and spirit, the black sheep of the trinity.

Take a lap

Im in good shape but I dont care about it for appearances sake. Nor do I care about the appearance of most others. Other than women that I happen to be naturally attracted to I couldnt care less about what other people look like, or their health problems and burden on that system that I dont use. Fuck it.

Back