Did Bethe Manage to Chael Sonnen Herself?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CageSage, Aug 23, 2015.

1. CageSage

CageSage Red Belt

Most people remember the Chael Sonnen/Anderson Silva one fight because it was Chael talking a bunch of shit and hyping the fight and then ALMOST beating him. Even though he was finished and busted for steroids, his stock rose and then he became the "draw" that people know now. Infact, Anderson Silva benefited hugely from this as he previously wasn't that huge of a draw, the same thing happened to Ronda.

Do you think Bethe's pre-fight antics won her any fans or admiration? Sure, she got obliterated and in many eyes her trashtalk went too far(which some said about Sonnen as well), but do you think that the hype surrounding that fight will atleast put her in a more financially advantageous position? I see that she's already calling for a Miesha Tate fight which we all know she would lose. Do the two scenarios have any similarities or is she destined to get lost in Ronda's trail of lifeless bodies?

2. 10000 Days

10000 Days Green Belt

The hype was about Bethe taking down one horsewoman at a time, until she gets to the "master" horsewoman.

3. I think Chael's career trajectory would have looked a lot different had he been face planted 30 seconds into his fight with Silva.

4. dc007

dc007 mr. white belt

What? That chick's stock went nowhere but down. Sonnen put a beating on Silva for 4.5 rounds before choking. That's why his stock went up. No one had done that to Silva before.

5. BrazilianDude

BrazilianDude Gold Belt

Well, she trash talked her way to the title shot and a big paycheck. Too bad she could not make it competitive.

6. Col Kurtz

Col Kurtz Blue Belt

She's just stupid and everybody can see that.

7. Chael was absolutely brilliant at one point in time. It was a short time but goddangit could that man talk

8. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

could you imagine if bruce lee lost on the last floor in Game of death...

9. VB MMA

VB MMA Brown Belt

I seriously doubt it. Everyone could tell Chael's trashtalk was a sincere belief he could beat Silva and had some genuine animosity towards him at the time. It wasn't until later that Chael started the less-than-sincere trashtalk, like most Fighters now are using. Betche, like Conor and Bisping come across as trying too hard and phoney.

10. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

When was this point?

4 round victory over Silva?

Before that it was an almost submission defeat to Nate and Dan

He barely got by Bisping, I thought he lost

Destroyed by Maia Evans
    Good win over Okami who I think is one.of the.most.overrated MW ever but in a poor division back then

11. LampShade94

LampShade94 Brown Belt

rofl. i would agree.

12. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Purple Belt

I don't see her being stupid. You on the other hand, I can see.

13. It's not like i expected a Wand/Shogun fan to like Chael or give him credit for something... His relentless pressure was a thing of beauty.

Also when i said brilliant i was refering to his interviews but he did some incredible things in the cage as well. Tapping out Shogun with ease is one example.

14. hatakiyama

hatakiyama Orange Belt

in between his Silva fights, and i think he's talking about Sonnen's trash talk.
    you left out the Stann and Shogun wins.

15. csroster

csroster Silver Belt

She's trying, but I don't know if it will work. Right now she's coasting on Ronda's popularity. I hear her casually referred to as the girl that talked a bunch of shit to Rousey and got faceplanted.

Also, I get the feeling that Sonnen actually enjoyed shit talking and the showmanship aspect. Bethe is just barking to try to bank some residuals from the Ronda show. Hey I don't blame her, but I'm not buying it.

16. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

What are you smoking? He beat Dan, Nate and Okami. It was not a poor division. Nate and Okami being out of their prime today has no relevance to back then.

17. TheGrouch

TheGrouch Sneakerhead

She should work on her cage entrance/dance(?) before she fights again...that might be the most unathletic, uncoordinated thing I've ever seen in the Octagon. And yes, I've seen Andy Wang fight.

[​IMG]

18. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

I didn't say Nate and Okami are bad wins
    They were good at the time but the MW division at that time was pathetic and you can't argue with that, if them guys were around now they'd be getting destroyed

Yes he did win against Dan and Nate but I recall him nearly tapping in them fights

Stann can't wrestle at all, good win but even if Stann came to wrestle with wanderlei he would still have struggled because his wrestling is awful

19. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

Your revisionist history is what's pathetic. It was a stacked division.

20. Pwent

Pwent Guest

Nah because Chael almost won

Gus/Jones is more similar where a guy almost beat a dominant champ and then fought very little but kept his stock because of his loss