Did Bellator mess up in letting Chandler go?

Stylistically yes. Of course people will say now that Hooker is a bum and he was an easy fight etc. Look at the comments before the fight, 70% of clueless fans picked Hooker to win. They said he's too durable and tall and will outstrike him or ktfo him with a knee. <{Heymansnicker}>

Yes better prospects than UFC. Don't make me list them all, the list is too long

It's kind of silly comparing prospects imo seeing as UFC don't sign people until they're at least established to an extent for the most part.

I'm pretty sure my next picks will be terrible <45> I think Volkov will only try to land low kicks on him or force clinch on the fence and land some elbows and rarely engage but somewhere in round 3 Reem will catch him with something. He might catch his kick, take him down and win by gnp

I would be shocked if I get this one correctly also :eek:
Im just shocked to see Overeem as the underdog here, I would think that Overeem should be favored, as he is better pretty much everywhere. Lately Overeem relies on his experience to take the fight where it favors him, adjusts game plan midfight, and doesnt take unnecessary risks anymore. I was thinking of a clear decision or Overeem catches him with something and gets a TKO.

Speaking of Bellator we should be getting some news this week I expect. Now that the Conor hysteria is over and we have no UFC, they will probably start announcing some things.
Im assuming they will ride the Chandler wave and announce the events this week. Magomedov has also posted that he has a fight coming soon, so im assuming they will be announcing some fights already.

Im assuming they will ride the Chandler wave and announce the events this week. Magomedov has also posted that he has a fight coming soon, so im assuming they will be announcing some fights already.
Mousasi also posted that he has a fight soon

I really hope it's not him mauling John Salter, that's an absolutely pointless fight.
It would be a mauling but Salter is the most deserving guy a title shot right now. I think Tokov would be a better fight but travel restrictions make that fight near impossible.

It would be a mauling but Salter is the most deserving guy a title shot right now. I think Tokov would be a better fight but travel restrictions make that fight near impossible.

I'd probably prefer him to take a fight at LHW tbh.

I'd probably prefer him to take a fight at LHW tbh.
Yeah, Mousasi vs Nemkov, Corey, or Yoel would be way better fights, however, what happens if he loses? MW division takes a hit. Or even worse, what if he beats Nemkov and then holds the MW and LHW divisions. Its too much a risk, IMO.

Yeah, Mousasi vs Nemkov, Corey, or Yoel would be way better fights, however, what happens if he loses? MW division takes a hit. Or even worse, what if he beats Nemkov and then holds the MW and LHW divisions. Its too much a risk, IMO.

I dunno how much more of a hit the Bellator MW division could take tbh, it's absolute dogshit outside a few fighters.

I really hope he win get the belt somehow in Ufc and especially if he will tko Khabib

Apparently Bellator seems not to like to build up fighters who have talents. Only Dada 5000, Tito Ortiz and Fedor Emelianenko will have a big part of Bellators marketing
Chandler was the face of the company for a decade

Josh Thomson kind of implied that Chandler is making less money in the UFC than in Bellator but that Bellator wasnt interested in re-signing him or matching the UFC offer either. Thomson is an openly Chandler hater so IDK how reliable he is.

Last time Chandler to my knowledge fought in a state that releases fight purses was Bellator 192
the Sonnen vs Rampage card

"Michael Chandler ($50,000 + no win bonus = $50,000) def. Goiti Yamauchi ($23,000)"

I am pretty sure Chandler makes a bit more in the UFC.

Last time Chandler to my knowledge fought in a state that releases fight purses was Bellator 192

"Michael Chandler ($50,000 + no win bonus = $50,000) def. Goiti Yamauchi ($23,000)"

That's pretty shitty tbh, I would think a guy like Chandler can probably make another $20k at least from sponsors though.

That's pretty shitty tbh, I would think a guy like Chandler can probably make another $20k at least from sponsors though.

Who knows.
I have a hard time believing fighters in Bellator makes good sponsor money.
Bellator has problems with views and always seems to be looking for new networks.
Dont think sponsors sees that as a good thing.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2021/01/24/michael-chandler-career-earnings-fox11/

I dont know if its legit.
But it seems to be a step up in pay.

Im just shocked to see Overeem as the underdog here, I would think that Overeem should be favored, as he is better pretty much everywhere. Lately Overeem relies on his experience to take the fight where it favors him, adjusts game plan midfight, and doesnt take unnecessary risks anymore. I was thinking of a clear decision or Overeem catches him with something and gets a TKO.

Idk, I favor Volkov pretty heavily myself. Lately Reem has been very hittable and extremely tentative on the feet, I think Volkov most likely takes him apart if he can't get his grappling going (just look at him covering against the fence against Olyneik and Sakai; he'll be hurting badly if he lets Volkov tee off on him like that). And Volkov's defensive grappling is strong, Reem is mostly only able to ground and control the lower end guys whose groundwork isn't up to snuff. Traditionally Volkov has struggled more with heavy top games and strong ground and pounders, Overeem was having trouble getting any damage off on Rozenstruik whose ground skills are very limited. And Volkov recently did fairly well against a much better wrestler and heavier ground and pounder in Blaydes (though obviously it was a losing effort, he didn't take much damage on the ground).

Thread says it all. Chandler said numerous times that he wanted to re-sign and was waiting for Bellator to make the offer.

I think Chandler ran his course in Bellator and there werent many options for him left in the company. But after his last two performances he has proven to be top 5 -10 in the world and Bellator's LW division could use someone like him.

On the other hand, Chandler's success proves Bellator's roster is more competent than most people give them credit for. Also, this makes the Pitbull TKO look even more impressive, it only rises Pitbull stock more.

As a fan whose been high on him for many years, very happy Mike's finally getting some recognition. It's a shame it can only come after fighting in the UFC, because whether he won or last Saturday he had already had an amazing career. But yeah, as a fan I was super hyped for the fight and thrilled with the result. So many great matchups now, whereas with Bellator he'd already fought basically everyone, even the brightest up and comers like Yamauchi/Outlaw.

Honestly, with one of his worst matchups on paper in Hooker dealt with so decisively, I see Chandler as pretty much the guy to beat at lightweight at the moment. Obviously nobody's ever a lock, but with Hooker behind him, Ferguson and McGregor falling off, and Khabib seemingly retired, he's got plenty of good paths to victory over all his proximate competitors.

He holds a wrestling advantage over everyone in the top 5, and most of them have at times had trouble dealing with either ground and pound or big power punchers (and as Patricky knows, Mike has the power to KO a lightweight, a welterweight, a middleweight... and A RHINOCEROS).

But my dream matchup is if Khabib did come back, been wanting to see that one for years, Mike has a lot of tools that might give Khabib trouble.

As a fan whose been high on him for many years, very happy Mike's finally getting some recognition. It's a shame it can only come after fighting in the UFC, because whether he won or last Saturday he had already had an amazing career. But yeah, as a fan I was super hyped for the fight and thrilled with the result. So many great matchups now, whereas with Bellator he'd already fought basically everyone, even the brightest up and comers like Yamauchi/Outlaw.

Honestly, with one of his worst matchups on paper in Hooker dealt with so decisively, I see Chandler as pretty much the guy to beat at lightweight at the moment. Obviously nobody's ever a lock, but with Hooker behind him, Ferguson and McGregor falling off, and Khabib seemingly retired, he's got plenty of good paths to victory over all his proximate competitors.

He holds a wrestling advantage over everyone in the top 5, and most of them have at times had trouble dealing with either ground and pound or big power punchers (and as Patricky knows, Mike has the power to KO a lightweight, a welterweight, a middleweight... and A RHINOCEROS).

But my dream matchup is if Khabib did come back, been wanting to see that one for years, Mike has a lot of tools that might give Khabib trouble.
100% agree on everything you said. Chandler was a high risk low reward for everyone in the UFC so nobody wanted that fight, so props to Hooker for taking that risk. It is also kind of sad to think that if Chandler would have lost that fight his career would have never been recognized either. So everything hung in that fight, which it sucks because, like you said, he already had a great career before that fight. I think he should be favored to beat everyone in the UFC with the exception of Khabib and Dustin. I truly believe Chandler is the most dangerous fighter in a 3 round fight. Maybe Gaethje, being so durable, can give him trouble if the fight goes into the 4th or 5th round.

Idk, I favor Volkov pretty heavily myself. Lately Reem has been very hittable and extremely tentative on the feet, I think Volkov most likely takes him apart if he can't get his grappling going (just look at him covering against the fence against Olyneik and Sakai; he'll be hurting badly if he lets Volkov tee off on him like that). And Volkov's defensive grappling is strong, Reem is mostly only able to ground and control the lower end guys whose groundwork isn't up to snuff. Traditionally Volkov has struggled more with heavy top games and strong ground and pounders, Overeem was having trouble getting any damage off on Rozenstruik whose ground skills are very limited. And Volkov recently did fairly well against a much better wrestler and heavier ground and pounder in Blaydes (though obviously it was a losing effort, he didn't take much damage on the ground).
Great analysis, you are making me re-think me betting for that fight. Perhaps the odds makers are seeing the same thing you are seeing, that is why Overeem is the underdog.

He made 200k against Ben Henderson the second time.
Bellator 243 Salaries Purse Payouts (PPV Bonus Money) (sportekz.com)

He made 253,500 against Hooker but 50K of that is from a bonus so it looks like he's making the same in the UFC that he did in Bellator at least compared to his last contract. His training partner Gilbert Burns said that the UFC offer Chandler accepted wasn't the highest paying offer.

UFC 257 Fighter Salaries, Incentive Pay & Attendance | The Sports Daily

It looks like he just asked the UFC to match his existing contract with Bellator and that was enough for him to sign with the UFC.

100% agree on everything you said. Chandler was a high risk low reward for everyone in the UFC so nobody wanted that fight, so props to Hooker for taking that risk. It is also kind of sad to think that if Chandler would have lost that fight his career would have never been recognized either. So everything hung in that fight, which it sucks because, like you said, he already had a great career before that fight. I think he should be favored to beat everyone in the UFC with the exception of Khabib and Dustin. I truly believe Chandler is the most dangerous fighter in a 3 round fight. Maybe Gaethje, being so durable, can give him trouble if the fight goes into the 4th or 5th round.

I think Chandler beats Dustin, wouldn't be surprised if he loses but Dustin's TDD isn't that good and I think Chandler beats him by mixing up striking and grappling with constant level changes so Dustin never knows if it's a takedown or a punch coming.

I think Chandler beats Dustin, wouldn't be surprised if he loses but Dustin's TDD isn't that good and I think Chandler beats him by mixing up striking and grappling with constant level changes so Dustin never knows if it's a takedown or a punch coming.
This. I don't see him struggling with Dustin tbh

Back