Did anyone see Nurmegomedov's shirt at the weigh ins?

i hope he decides to not go to mcdonald's after this. brazilians do not take kindly to getting cokes thrown in little girl's faces

He's just trolling (you) thel die hard BJJ'ers.
That's why he wears the super wig, in case you didn't notice.
Deal with it.

;D

He's just trolling (you) thel die hard BJJ'ers.
That's why he wears the super wig, in case you didn't notice.
Deal with it.

;D

i think hes half trolling half having pride in his own grappling discipline over the others

546831_10151397224631276_1662663790_n.jpg

Oh lord....

love that shirt.

Some guy posted a video of Marcelo Garcia vs Andrei Arlovski grappling. Ok, so you show one of the best Jiu Jitsu guys ever. He also owns other BJJ guys as well. And werdum who beat a past his prime Fedor. Fedor also beat prime Big Nog, he beat Arona according to RINGS rules. He also beat ADCC champ Jeff Monson.

Igor Zinoviev beat Mario Sperry.

The following statement has absolutely no bearing on which style is better. I'm just nitpicking.

RINGS didn't have special rules for judging aside from being incompetent (see Dan Henderson beating Nog by a majority draw, which is what the scorecards actually read). Many feel Arona won that fight, myself included. Some feel the larger Fedor won. But regardless, it had nothing to do with RINGS rules.

Zinoviev was soundly out-grappled by Sperry for about 10-15 minutes, avoided the takedown by holding on to the cage, and then scored a TKO win in a way that I still don't understand. But the finish, and hence all of Zinoviev's success in the fight, involved no grappling. It's a bad example for the point you're trying to make. Fedor vs Nog was a much better example, because the wins were both clear cut and the fights involved a lot of grappling exchanges with Fedor usually in dominant position, scoring multiple takedowns, and never in danger.

And this video is a much better example of the point you were trying to make about cooperation and exchange of ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2oFvJspHA

This has no bearing on the discussion.

What's the difference between Sambo and BJJ? Does Sambo still have all the guard, half guard, mount, basic positions that BJJ guys have/use?

I hear something about leg locks. I'm asking for real here, especially to the hardcore grapplers in this forum. What's the difference?

What's the difference between Sambo and BJJ? Does Sambo still have all the guard, half guard, mount, basic positions that BJJ guys have/use?

I hear something about leg locks. I'm asking for real here, especially to the hardcore grapplers in this forum. What's the difference?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_(martial_art)

Basically, it was developed by the Russian military in the 20s for their unarmed combat. It combined techniques from judo wrestling and other arts.

There are three main variations; sport sambo, combat sambo (the military version) and freestyle. The differences can be found on the wiki page. Sambo focuses more on joint locks, and some rulesets forbid chokes.

Some guy posted a video of Marcelo Garcia vs Andrei Arlovski grappling. Ok, so you show one of the best Jiu Jitsu guys ever. He also owns other BJJ guys as well. And werdum who beat a past his prime Fedor. Fedor also beat prime Big Nog, he beat Arona according to RINGS rules. He also beat ADCC champ Jeff Monson.

past prime fedor? okay. so he loses to a bjj guy hes past his prime. he beats a bjj guy (monson) now Sambo>bjj?

i expected a better response from an 06 join date

Khabib's actions were far from classy, but how many times have Jiu Jitsu practitioners cast aspersions on wrestlers? For the love of God, the world's biggest MMA promotion was established as a showcase for their particular grappling art, BJJ literally boasts a billion dollar ego. Now is that to mean Sambo is superior to BJJ? Not even in the slightest, nor vice versa. At the end of the day we all lace up our shoes, pull on our gis or slip into our kurtkas with the same goal in mind, to better ourselves and our grappling art of choice. A little goodwill wouldn't kill any of us.
This post will not get the love it.deserves

The following statement has absolutely no bearing on which style is better. I'm just nitpicking.

RINGS didn't have special rules for judging aside from being incompetent (see Dan Henderson beating Nog by a majority draw, which is what the scorecards actually read). Many feel Arona won that fight, myself included. Some feel the larger Fedor won. But regardless, it had nothing to do with RINGS rules.

Zinoviev was soundly out-grappled by Sperry for about 10-15 minutes, avoided the takedown by holding on to the cage, and then scored a TKO win in a way that I still don't understand. But the finish, and hence all of Zinoviev's success in the fight, involved no grappling. It's a bad example for the point you're trying to make. Fedor vs Nog was a much better example, because the wins were both clear cut and the fights involved a lot of grappling exchanges with Fedor usually in dominant position, scoring multiple takedowns, and never in danger.

And this video is a much better example of the point you were trying to make about cooperation and exchange of ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2oFvJspHA

This has no bearing on the discussion.

Sperry tapped to igors guillotine.

According to Art Davie, when reviewing tapes for would-be-competitors in the early UFC Oleg's came in and he was like 'hey how about this guy?' but Rorion was like 'nah, he's no good'.

I wonder what legacy a Royce vs Oleg match would have left to 'debates' like this, and the development of grappling in the US in general :icon_twis

past prime fedor? okay. so he loses to a bjj guy hes past his prime. he beats a bjj guy (monson) now Sambo>bjj?

i expected a better response from an 06 join date

did you even read what i said? my whole point in that post is that both arts can beat each other

Back