Did anyone feel discouraged their first few days of BJJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude I have been doing it for 9 months and I am discouraged lol. It happens. You get your highs and lows when shit aint working. This is BJJ and it shows how amazing the sport is that it doesn't just get easy and smoke everyone without serious effort.

A good measure of your progress may be when the new guy comes in and you are the one picked to work with him for the day. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Normally I get tapped all the time. But this new guy came into class and we were partnered up. He had that fearful look in his eyes because BJJ was brand new to him. (Sounds familiar!) We worked on techniques and then rolled *very* lightly. I actually found myself holding back and just focusing on my technique. He had the typical first-day habits...but it was fun for me because I saw that I really had progressed more than I give myself credit for. And believe me I am not the "natural grappler". You'll get there my friend.

Same thing happened to me about a week ago. I am about 4 months in, 2-3 times a week. A new guy came in, it was about his 3rd or 4th class. He went ape shit on me. All power and strength, knocking me over, trying to choke me in the wierdest positions, etc...For the first few seconds I panicked and thought "man I really suck if this guy can school me", but I took a breath, stayed calm, and focused on technique and what I have learned so far...Needless to say I toyed with him after that. It is nothing to brag about, but it did show me that I HAVE LEARNED something and it is encouraging. Of course the following roll was with a seasoned Blue (ready to be purple) and he just destroyed me.

One other thing I find useful, others may disagree. I like to roll with higher belts (blue's really) and get schooled...

1. If I do pull off a minor victory (pass guard, escape side mount, etc) it is an accomplishment. A small one, but still.

2. The higher belts at my school will point out my mistakes during a roll and "talk" me through a move at full speed. The higher belts love to help out, while most less seasoned white's are all about the submission and going hog wild.

As a little guy, I'd just like to add that BJJ is not for you big guy. It's for scrawny fuckers like me to balance things out. The fewer fat douchebags doing BJJ, the better!

Every week a new guy comes in who thinks his size or strength or athleticism is going to make him an instant badass. They almost never last. After the dozenth time they get tapped by my 140 lbs of fury, they never come back.

At least initially, technique is everything. Your size will help you eventually, but only if you gain the technique to back it up. It's a long road to even get to "decent". Probably years before you manage to catch your first black belt in a sub.

Like everyone has already stated, it will come with time, just be patient and have fun. Also, whatever you do, try your very best to NOT use your size and strength at this stage of your training. Try to roll like a small frame guy even though you are the giant. You'll learn faster and won't pick up bad habits that will deter your progress.

This? Again?

You're fat. You're out of shape. You just started BJJ.

Give me a break.

As a little guy, I'd just like to add that BJJ is not for you big guy. It's for scrawny fuckers like me to balance things out. The fewer fat douchebags doing BJJ, the better!/QUOTE]

that seriously made me lol

As a little guy, I'd just like to add that BJJ is not for you big guy. It's for scrawny fuckers like me to balance things out. The fewer fat douchebags doing BJJ, the better!

that seriously made me lol

I'll tell you, I came from a lot worse shape than you did. Granted i've got a muscular figure, I was still WAY out of shape. I started BJJ @ 5'9 and 290. 6 months later i'm down to a pretty lean 210. I've got 30 more lbs before my goal weight for BJJ, but all it takes is time and practice and dedication. Change your nutrition as well if you already haven't, you'll feel your energy increase dramatically.

Also something really opened pandoras box for me, was controlling my breathing. Once I did that (and it took me about 2 months to figure it out) things got a TON easier. I was able to roll for a lot longer and play with a lot more things.

Go in with no ego onto the mat, and learn everytime you either get dominated or tapped. Ask whomever you're rolling with how they got there, whats a good defense. If you're rolling with a white belt and it happens, ask an instructor to take a look, you will both learn from it.

Also after playing a top game, as a big guy at first, you might find that (im guessing you have strong legs from carrying the weight, because I certainly do) the guard is something that you can also be very strong at. About 2 months before the PanAms when I was doing hard training, it just opened my eyes to the guard game that I could play.

So just stick with it, discover yourself in BJJ. The rewards are priceless.

I'll tell you, I came from a lot worse shape than you did. Granted i've got a muscular figure, I was still WAY out of shape. I started BJJ @ 5'9 and 290. 6 months later i'm down to a pretty lean 210. I've got 30 more lbs before my goal weight for BJJ, but all it takes is time and practice and dedication. Change your nutrition as well if you already haven't, you'll feel your energy increase dramatically.

Also something really opened pandoras box for me, was controlling my breathing. Once I did that (and it took me about 2 months to figure it out) things got a TON easier. I was able to roll for a lot longer and play with a lot more things.

Go in with no ego onto the mat, and learn everytime you either get dominated or tapped. Ask whomever you're rolling with how they got there, whats a good defense. If you're rolling with a white belt and it happens, ask an instructor to take a look, you will both learn from it.

Also after playing a top game, as a big guy at first, you might find that (im guessing you have strong legs from carrying the weight, because I certainly do) the guard is something that you can also be very strong at. About 2 months before the PanAms when I was doing hard training, it just opened my eyes to the guard game that I could play.

So just stick with it, discover yourself in BJJ. The rewards are priceless.

Thanks for the response. Congratulations on your accomplishments so far. I definetly have no ego when I'm on the mat and am constantly asking questions. I just started a new nutrition program and quit smoking so I'm sure I'll have more energy soon enough. I'm 265 now and my target weight is 220 - 230 by the end of the year so your post is very inspiring.

Good luck bro, I was 260 this time last year now i am under 220. I love what jiu jitsu has done for my life, I've never felt better.

Also my advice is don't roll 100% strength. Yeah you may get submitted more, but you really need to focus on technique and learning the mechanics. My mistake when I first started was using my strength to force submissions. Submissions should come cleanly the majority of the time. Go 50-70% strength and think technique over power.

I felt like uncoordinated moron for at least a month. One day my instructor was yelling at me, "Stack! Stack!." I looked at him and said. "I don't even know what that means." Stick with it man, your conditioning will improve, your strength will increase, and before long you'll be tapping new guys like crazy.

Yea man. I still do and I've trained consitently for over a year now. I still have some days where I get destroyed on the mat. It ain't a race though. It's a marathon. Just try to enjoy yourself. You will feel better after 3 or 4 months and your defense will tighten up. Then you can start to baby step along the path. It's tough because in this martial art you are expected to perform every night. It can make or break you. If your ego can't take it.... Well, don;t let thatt happen. Let your ego go and KNOW that you will improve. Everyone has been there. And many still are. Someone else will be tommorow.

man how about first 6 months

pounded on everyday

my club they throw you in with world champs, MMA fighters, top level guys that go to the Mundials, Panams and all that.

you fight everyone no matter what belt

of course they put u in with 3 strip whites but they are so good.

at our club there are no easy rolls and many people cant take the warm up or pounding and quit so everyone their is dedicated

dude get used to it. your gonna get schooled for a long time. there is always going to be someone better than you. dont get down.

There is no "advice" for the first days, just take your lumps like everyone else did. Stop worrying about how bad it will be and take it as the first step in a LONG journey of learning. If you aren't humble enough to get through the first days, how the fuck will you ever be proficient ?

Encourage whites, don't baby them.

man how about first 6 months

pounded on everyday

my club they throw you in with world champs, MMA fighters, top level guys that go to the Mundials, Panams and all that.

you fight everyone no matter what belt

of course they put u in with 3 strip whites but they are so good.

at our club there are no easy rolls and many people cant take the warm up or pounding and quit so everyone their is dedicated

You school sounds like a very cool, hardcore place! Where do you train?

There's no reason for this thread to get restarted five months later. I'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back