Did Anderson go for that knee out of desperation?

So Bisping comes back from that devastating knee and endures a vicious front kick to the face and doesnt drop, and keeps fighting and being aggressive to the end of the fight and youre saying he wanted an out?

Yep, of course you ignore everything else and just want to go on my opinion. Bisping started to take some shots and Anderson was putting the pressure on in the 3rd round. Looking at the ref for assistance in anyway shape or form has always been seen as "looking for a way out" so I don't know why you're acting like it's not.

Also, why are you talking about other rounds, we're talking about the 3rd.

No, but perhaps Herb could have allowed him to get his mouthpiece since weve seen a similar precedent in other fights?

That only applies when there's a break in the action. There wasn't a break in the action at that time, and the round was about to end anyway. Bisping was in the wrong, not Anderson

Yep, of course you ignore everything else and just want to go on my opinion. Bisping started to take some shots and Anderson was putting the pressure on in the 3rd round. Looking at the ref for assistance in anyway shape or form has always been seen as "looking for a way out" so I don't know why you're acting like it's not.

Also, why are you talking about other rounds, we're talking about the 3rd.

Because Bisping wasnt close to being out.

I find it strange that he would be looking for a way out just because Silva was pressuring him against the fence, only to go on and eat hard front kicks to the face in later rounds like theyre nothing.

That only applies when there's a break in the action. There wasn't a break in the action at that time, and the round was about to end anyway. Bisping was in the wrong, not Anderson

He wanted his mouth piece what is he supposed to do? Just keep fighting without it? We've seen plenty of fights stopped before so a ref could put it back into place.

He motioned before to Herb and Herb ignored it. Silva threw a flurry then backed up and paused for a second which Bisping saw as a break and asked again for it.

Fighters... Protect yourself at all times - Ken Flo

Bisping had already pointed to his mouthpiece earlier both Herb and Andy ignored it, then later after Silva backs off he points again to it and starts talking to Herb. Obviously Anderson saw this, yet he still chose to launch a double flying knee at Bisping when he was distracted.

Did he do this out of desperation because up until that point in the fight he was losing? Seems to me he could have allowed Mike to grab his mouthpiece and then resumed the attack.
It's a combination of factors.

Anderson could have chosen to give Bisping a break. But he is by no means obligated to do so.

If you're losing the fight, which he was, you take every opportunity to win. Anderson OBVIOUSLY saw what was going on, and knew Bisping was uncomfortable fighting without his mouthpiece--so he pressed him, knowing it would tax his will to fight.

Is there something wrong with pressing an advantage (within the rules)?

Refs will stop the fight to put in the mouthpiece when there is a break in the action. They do not stop ongoing action in order to replace the mouthpiece--it's not the same as, say, a groin shot.

Maybe Bisping should not have spit his mouthpiece away, in first place

He wanted his mouth piece what is he supposed to do? Just keep fighting without it? We've seen plenty of fights stopped before so a ref could put it back into place.

He motioned before to Herb and Herb ignored it. Silva threw a flurry then backed up and paused for a second which Bisping saw as a break and asked again for it.

It's not up to Bisping to make that call. That's at the referee's discretion. At no time does a fighter in the cage have the authority to call a timeout, mouthpiece being out or not.

Yes, he should just keep fighting without it for the few seconds left in the round. Instead of just continuing on like he should have, he took his eye off the ball so to speak, and it nearly cost him the fight.

It was a bad moment for everyone. Bisping for dropping his guard and trying to play Ref. Herb for being indecisive; either stop the fight when Silva backed up or STFU and let them fight, not confusing the situation with his positioning and yelling; losing control of the ring during the break. Silva for celebrating without the Ref calling the fight and taking the next round off, giving Bisping the fight, and it was a cheap (but legal) knee.

Last edited:
I think Anderson was launching that knee, pointing or no pointing. Bisping taking his eye off Anderson allowed it to land flush, however.

Because Bisping wasnt close to being out.

I find it strange that he would be looking for a way out just because Silva was pressuring him against the fence, only to go on and eat hard front kicks to the face in later rounds like theyre nothing.

Each round is different bud. A fighter can be close to breaking one round and come back on fire in the next. A fighter can throw explosive shots one round and be able to barely throw anything in the later rounds. It happens all the time.

And like I said, I don't know what Bisping was thinking. I just find it strange that a fighter would take his eyes off of an opponent who was moving toward him. Why would he do that? Just to get a mouthpiece back? That doesn't seem logical. I'm not a fighter, but wouldn't the only priority be to gain some sort of distance so that the fight could be stopped (if he really wanted that mouthpiece back)?

Maybe Bisping wasn't looking for a way out of the fight, I could be wrong there.

Maybe he's smart as fuck and realized that he was trapped and had a 50/50 shot of the fight being stopped. If the ref stops it, no damage taken. But if the ref doesn't stop it.. Well you were gonna take some damage anyway. What do you think?

Back