1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Did Aldo take Stephens’ soul?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TheSpider, May 13, 2021.

1. TheSpider Black Belt

Jeremy Stephens claimed he was gonna take Jose Aldo’s soul before their fight. After getting KOd by Aldo, Stephens have gone 0-3 with 1 no contest

Dana's Moonface likes this.
  2. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt

Conor took his soul with just 6 words.
    <FookIsThatGuy>

3. Raymundo Alvarado Guevara Purple Belt

You got me on that haha

G10 and giovanni_ss like this.
  4. machidafan99 Gold Belt

I think the eye poke incident from Yair fucked everything up

5. charalsias Brown Belt

Meeeeeh he was a 31 year old featherweight .66% fighter with over 40 fights before that.Not much of a "soul" was remaining before Aldo...

koquerelle and giovanni_ss like this.
  6. Overeem Blue Belt

Probably. I remember hearing Stephens contemplated suicide after the Aldo fight

Skarsgard likes this.
  7. G10 Blue Belt

Possibly. One of the biggest factors Stephens has always had going for him was confidence. He had Aldo in trouble early, and then just when things look good for him, vintage WEC Aldo appeared and finished him off, one of the only times he's ever been finished by strikes, too.

Stephens has always struck me for a bit of a head-case. It blows my mind how someone with his level of physicality and experience, along with training at a world-renowned camp like Alliance, just never seemed to be able to put it together enough to be a contender. Lightweight and featherweight are both insanely tough divisions, but Stephens should've been able to at least make it to a title-shot. He's kind of like Michael Johnson in a weird way.

Skarsgard likes this.
  8. Goat St Pierre Blue Belt

Conor took Aldo's

SKITZADACTYL likes this.
  9. e92m3 Orange Belt

This might be news to you but Stephen's has the most losses in UFC history. Aldo didn't help but the guy is simply below average

10. Beeruz God of Destruction Belt Yellow Card

[​IMG]

G10 likes this.
  11. Gatti111 Green Belt

Stephens showed a lot of heart and soul when he took a beating for 2 rounds from Rodriguez in the rematch, and then put it on Yair in the third round. I think it's the level of competition and age catching up to him. He's had a .500 record in the UFC for most of his tenure, so losing fights is not exactly a recent development in his career.

12. Gatti111 Green Belt

He is not below average. Is he losing to average fighters? On his current skid he's lost to Kattar, Yair, Zabit, and Aldo- all top fighters. He's an above average fighter, just not top level.

j18lee and G10 like this.
  13. G10 Blue Belt

Aldo's record since his fight with Conor is 4-5, with many thinking it should be 5-4, while fighting the best guys in the world at both featherweight and bantamweight.

Conor's is 3-3 (counting Mayweather, 3-4), with many thinking it should be 2-4, while fighting either cherry-picked opponents or undeserved title-shots.

Conor was the better man the night he fought Aldo, but Aldo's the true featherweight GOAT.